1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ***Parcell Retires***

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by joseephuss, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Gruden is signed through 2007, I believe, so it would take some compensation to get him...probably too much for JJ to consider.

If he was in his last year as the Bucs' coach, though, I might consider it. However, again, I'm not all that convinced that the cover 2 is the defense we should run in Dallas...that is if he decided to bring that here.
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice list. Grimm and Rivera are my personal choices, though McDaniels would be an interesting hire.
  3. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I think this is exactly what happened. All of this for a guy who was liked by Jerry and Stephen, and was pretty much given carte blanche to do what he wanted around VR.

I think it was time to move on.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    oh my god - would buddy be able to live through BOTH sons coaching his arch rival???
  5. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I would add Dick LeBeau to that list, but so far I aggree.

I think we need to stay away from retreads like Norv Turner or Denny Green. I think I would add Wade Phillips as well . . . I know some would not like Wade, but he does do well with defense.
  6. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    LeBeau is already going back to Pittsburgh...
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    18-16 was Gailey's two year record including 0-2 in the playoffs. One of those being a home playoff loss in 1998 to the Cardinals. The Cardinals?! That says a lot about just how bad the NFC East was that season. Dallas went 10-6 that year, 8-0 in the division and 2-6 outside of the division. Gailey had more talent on his teams than Parcells had in his first two seasons. It wasn't Superbowl caliber talent, but it should have been better than one and done talent. Gailey did worse than Parcells.
  8. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    so is it worse to lose to the cardinals in a playoff game or 2-13 detroit when playoff stackings are on the table?
  9. joseephuss

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Yes, especially when you have Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin still playing at a high level and already beat the Cardinals twice in the regular season. That was an embarassing loss and an underachievement of the franchise. Losing to Detroit this year was bad. No doubt, but it still doesn't compare to what that 1998 team did.

This year even with the loss to Detroit, Dallas still had a chance to win the next week in the playoffs. A number of plays could have changed the outcome of that game in Seattle and especially the Romo bobble. That 1998 team came out uninspired against the Jake Plummer led Cardinals. A low point in franchise history.

Edit:
    A win against Detroit this year still doesn't change Dallas' postion in the playoffs. They still would have ended up the #5 seed.
  10. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    however, if they won and philly lost, then what?

bp is the one who's always after the mathmatic possibliites - don't take that away now. : )
  11. joseephuss

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Why deal with what ifs and deal with what did happen? Dallas lost to Detroit and Philly won. Philly won the game even though they already knew that Dallas had lost. I think Philly wins no matter what, so no the seeding didn't really matter.

It mattered more to go into the playoffs on a winning note. I am a big proponent of that and Dallas failed at it this year. A simple win against Detroit could have changed the complexion of the playoff game at Seattle the following week. A good strong team effort could have put Dallas on a confidence high going into the playoffs. That mattered more than actual seeding.

This year's Detroit loss was bad, but it still not as bad as a home playoff loss where the team was lethargic. That 1998 team even had Deion Sanders coming back. The starting announcements for that game were for the special teams. Deion was the last one they called. He was hobbled near the end of that season and there was speculation he would not play in that game. When he was announced and danced onto the field the fans were pumped. There was a lot of energy in the stands on that day. It didn't translate to the players. The offense was putrid that day.

I don't think Parcells did much better than Gailey, but he did do better. I like the direction the team is going. If they can get a good coach they can make some good strides.
  12. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    we weren't exactly mr energy against detroit either.

i think we can agree that both points were low points for this team.
  13. joseephuss

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I do agree with that. Dallas did come out with better energy against Seattle. I was surprised by it based on what happened the previous week against the Lions. They seemed to learn something from their embarrassing loss to Detroit.

I was at that Cardinals game in 1998. I was at the season ending game the week before against the Skins. Dallas dominated Washington and Emmitt broke the TD record in that game, so Dallas should have gone against the Cardinals with a good attitude. They didn't. Again, both are low points.
  14. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    heh, i was at that game also!

based on the detroit game and overall december, i had bad feelings about the seattle offense just tearing us up - so we did play better, but still with no fire and passion.

i think with a solid coach and a committment from that coach to kick this team in the arse, some of the problems parcells faced will go away because of the "leadership" displayed.

we'll see.
  15. joseephuss

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I agree. Heres' hoping.
  16. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Seattle had 3 starters out and we didn't attack their secondary. We were pretty much out of the game if it weren't for a special teams play by Austin. We also were playing against a hobbled Alexander, and we were the healthiest team going into the league.

We didn't run any play-action despite the fact that Julius Jones was having a good day.

There is nothing to compare against. Bill Parcells and Chan Gailey both are equivalent. They didn't get the job done. The difference is Bill has had as much control as he wanted.

BTW, our offensive line had already started deteriorating in 1998, and our defense was pretty pathetic, and couldn't pressure the QB at all. We also couldn't score in the RED-ZONE, and we had the horrible Ernie Zampese as Offensive Coordinator.

And Arizona was not bad that year.
  17. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    maybe not but the az playoff loss sure hurt. : )

i agree with a lot of what you're saying. but seattle didn't "blow us away" like i feared, it was just an ugly game on both sides and neither team was all that good.
  18. joseephuss

21,877 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received

Zampese was gone in 1998. Gailey was the OC as well as HC. The defense was ranked 17th in yards allowed and 3rd in points allowed.

The Cardinals are the Cardinals. They weren't bad, but they were not good.
  19. silverblue

silverblue Member

299 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  20. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Zampese's effects weren't. We were among the last in the league in scoring in the red-zone that year. Our OL was deteriorating. The same problems that were becoming apparent in 1997, just became more obvious is 1998. Our pass rush was beginning to suck horribly, and we were in constant search of our next Charles Haley.

Our loss to the Cardinals was not that surprising.