1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Parcells Career Arc Article

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 18, 2013.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Interesting Read regarding his different stops

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9183307/bill-parcells-career-arc/?ex_cid=facebook

2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,384 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    I read this and came away with thinking Bill Parcells is an egotistical maniac and a cynical human being.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,118 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  4. HoustonFrog

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    I have always thought that at times but then you see pieces like this 30 for 30 short and you realize that guys like him have a lot of heart and its why ex-players talked about how they loved playing for him. Made my allergies act up..:)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...t-30-30-documentary-series?ex_cid=grantland33
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,392 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    Good article. Thanks for posting.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,169 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Still miffed on how we draft a QB in the 2nd round that couldn't throw a spiral. Ever.
  7. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,384 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    Every coach has his supporters. No doubt, he is a great coach, but he probably could have been greater if he wasn't such a jerk. Also, you can't blame your cynicism on one moment in life, when somebody tried to "back-stab" you. It was clear Parcells wasn't doing that well his first season as an NFL coach, so it isn't like Parcells can justify his attitude because of that.

He just seems like an unhappy person. But that is my impression.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    no, that is what you WANT to believe.

When you consider how few of his former players are ever heard critcizing him then maybe you ought to think about that.
  9. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
  10. HoustonFrog

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    It also makes you realize how much he changed the culture for a few years no matter who you give the credit to for the sudden talent influx. Because, like you said, they weren't talented that first season. I mean look at the O lineup.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,638 Messages
    4,510 Likes Received
    I agree about the job Parcels did, but that defense was first in the league in yardage and 2nd in points that season, wasn't it? That was the year he kept Zimmer's 4-3 in place and they played well enough to get Carter and Hambrick and the rest of that goof-troup into the playoffs.

It kind of underscores how much a good defense can help cover up problems for a QB. If you don't turn it over, and you don't let them score, it's hard for them to win.
  12. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    That D was nowhere near as good as the stats made it look like. When it went up against a good O it usually got owned. That year the schedule had few really good O's. Carolina and the Pats were about the best we ran into and they scored well on us.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,731 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    People forget that we kept that 4-3 defense in 2004 and just how awful that 4-3 defense was in '04. It was just about as bad as the '10 defense. Zimmer somehow gets excused for '04 and our collapse in '06.

That was really the tale of Zimmer in Dallas...get off to a good start and then fizzle badly in the second half.

Part of the success of the '03 team is that change in itself is often very good for a team in the NFL. New coaches, new players, new schemes...opposing teams don't know how to quite prepare for it.

The pass protection in '03 improved dramatically. In the past, teams like the Eagles would simply blitz us to death and dominate the game. I remember the first game versus the Eagles at Texas Stadium the Eagles sent a blitz on our first play on offense and Hambrick just obliterated the blitzer. In the past Hambrick was a terrible blitz pickup back. While he stunk as a tailback, he becamse a great blitz pick up back under Parcells.

And when you take away something from an opponent that they thought they could pull on you...it throws a major monkey wrench into their plans.

The big thing on defense for the '03 team is that we were much more disciplined. But, we had more talent on that side of the ball. And Dat Nguyen played phenomenally well that year. With Newman on the other side and the league allowing for grabbing we had Mario Edwards who was effective.

We also had two really great safeties.

Woodson was underrated in coverage because he didn't make a lot of picks. But, he was a great pass defender and knew where to lineup Roy. Roy had his 'football pride' back then and the league had not switched over to the athletic, pass receiving TE's that could beat Cover 2 defenses at that point. We also had Aaron Glenn, who could still play at that point, as the nickel corner. That allowed us to have a better coverage package on passing downs instead of having Woody switch to the nickel corner like he did under Campo.

I have no major problem with Parcells. My only minor issue with him is that he could have just said that 'yes, we discussed bringing T.O. here and we wanted him on the team and I wanted him on the team.'

I doubt the media would have stopped because they really hated T.O. *when* he signed with Dallas (hypocrites). But, I think it would have eased up a bit and not been such a circus.

Even after reading that article, which had a few big inaccuracies (IMO), I still like the guy and was glad he was the coach here. I think we often see people that are great at something and that are well respected and for whatever reason...we cannot reconcile with the fact that like every human they are flawed when those flaws are exposed.

YR
  14. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Mario Edwards. There was a guy had his career destroyed by the refs.
    Other CBs did exactly the same as he did and were pretty much allowed to get away with it. Not him. He got marked and he was gone pretty soon.

There were several guys on that team that basically had a career year THAT year with us and then were gone soon after.
  15. Hoofbite

32,118 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    Zimmer got excused?

Guess we recall things different.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,643 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Bill Parcells career playoff victories without Bill Belichick on his staff: 0 (in 7 years as a head coach)
  17. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,392 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    The 03 team made up for a lot of holes on offense by having a decent play action game and max protection scheme.
  18. Hoofbite

32,118 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    On his staff? That's a hell of a qualifier.

Basically implying that Bill's presence alone (even as a secondary coach in 1996) is worth playoff wins that wouldn't have been realized without him......yet somehow his presence as the HC didn't translate to playoff wins in 1995 for the Browns.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,638 Messages
    4,510 Likes Received
    It might have been overrated, but if you're number 2 in points against, that's going to go a long way to getting you to 10-6.

Obviously, that team wasn't good enough to beat teams that were good on both sides of the ball.
  20. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,643 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Not to informed football fans who know exactly what I'm talking about.
    He was officially the assistant head coach and unofficially the defensive coordinator.
    Actually the Browns did win a playoff game in January, 1995, under Bill Belichick. Who'd they beat? Bill Parcells' New England Patriots.

The simple, undeniable fact of the matter is that in 7 years of being a head coach without Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells has never won a single playoff game.