1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Parents are 'party-training' kids

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by PosterChild, Feb 4, 2008.

1. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    David Kaplan-Perkins of Chicago wears a "My Mama's for Obama" shirt. He's 7. Nate Moore's T-shirt has a red, white and blue baby elephant with "Weepublican" emblazoned on the front. His fourth-grade classmates in Liberty Township, Ohio, "think it's cool," he says.

David Kaplan-Perkins of Chicago wears a "My Mama's for Obama" shirt. He's 7. Nate Moore's T-shirt has a red, white and blue baby elephant with "Weepublican" emblazoned on the front. His fourth-grade classmates in Liberty Township, Ohio, "think it's cool," he says.
    A New York therapist isn't so sure.

"It seems cute and benign," says Joan Ingber, a therapist who specializes in children's issues at the Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy in Manhattan. "However, the more I think about it, the more it fails to pass my cringe test. It seems that we're bombarded enough by constant advertising, so why should children become the canvas for any ad? ... Do we really want to see kids in this role?"
    The products' creators, noting that parents often swath their children in corporate logos, say they are filling a need and contributing to the political process.

"We take what we do very seriously because the issues we cover are serious issues," says Jennifer Weiss, cofounder of babyPolitico.com, a maker of infant and toddler wear that leans liberal.

That doesn't mean the clothing designers lack a sense of humor. The artwork available online ranges from cuddly to outrageous to vicious, but mostly it aspires to be humorous -- depending on which side you're on.
    Nuggets for little ones include dueling digs that read, "I Only Cry When Democrats Hold Me" and "I Only Cry When Republicans Hold Me." There are the basics, too, such as a stick figure holding up a sign that says "Mommy and Me for Hillary!" and a shout-out to the GOP: "Bush is my homeboy."
    "We have tried to introduce other types of kid designs, but our Weepublican T-shirt sorta gained a cult status among the new Republican mothers," says Stacy Gowan of RepublicanTshirt.com.

Small publishers have been getting into the act, too. Jeremy Zilber, a longtime college professor disillusioned by his students' lack of political awareness, wrote "Why Mommy is a Democrat," with squirrel characters. The book was so successful that Zilber now promotes it full time at LittleDemocrats.net, and he recently finished a sequel with talking bears, "Why Daddy is a Democrat."

The GOP has its own popular bedtime reading: "Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!" by Katharine DeBrecht.
    Therapist Ingber might recommend both books.

"I see too many kids who mimic their parents' feelings and opinions," she says. "I, for one, would like to see children grow up to be critical thinkers. Can that happen if they're told how to think, feel?"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/02/04/politykes/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular
  2. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

David Kaplan-Perkins of Chicago has proudly worn his "My Mama's for Obama" T-shirt since age 4.
  3. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One for JT's kids below

[IMG]
  4. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,867 Messages
    861 Likes Received
    My kids are writing in a vote for Hannah Montana and the Jonas Bros. :laugh2:
    They despise politics and talk radio.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    Those party T-shirts are cute.

Too bad some adults need to wear them...with that spelling, because they act like children.

(I might order one each for myself depending on who is irritating me at the time):laugh2:
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Don't all parents pass their doctrine onto their children?
  8. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder if they(the parents) have factored in the rebellious dynamic here. If my parents had tried to sway me one way, I'd have reactively chosen the polar opposite ideology. Fortunately they didn't bother.
  9. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not minez. At least not overtly.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    Same here.

My parents were never into politics so I was lucky in that sense.

However sadly my mother has told me she will be voting for Hillary now after never voting for president to my knowledge.

I have tried to talk her out of it but she seems to have her mind set, and as stubborn as I can be, I can't hold a candle to her.:laugh2:
  11. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,719 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    Im a pretty liberal parent, id like my daughter to make as many decisions on her own as she can and draw her own conclusions without me screwing up her perceptions with my own errors in judement and bias.

Im lucky that i have a really good kid though, especially since i was so much trouble, i was worried about paybacks :laugh2:
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That's a fine model for parenthood. Present the facts and allow for the little mind to make a decision, while understanding that true wisdom can only be achieved through time and experience.

How old is your daughter? Mine is 4 and I'm blessedly enjoying the folly of that age, before the storm of adolescence rages into my life.:eek:
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,571 Messages
    1,663 Likes Received
    This article is somewhat disturbing, but truthfully, it's impossible for any parents to raise their children without indoctrinating them into something.

Even if you allow your children to make their own decisions, you still must provide them some kind of intellectual and moral framework in which to assess situations and circumstances.

There is no learning independent of indoctrination.
  14. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will fore-go the t-shirts. I just shave their heads, dress them in army boots and black leather jackets.
  15. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,853 Messages
    606 Likes Received

Your kids will appreciate that later in life. My dad raised me this way, my mom didn't. My mom was a disciplinarian and strict....and we've never really been close. My dad and I however are pretty close. I talk to him all the time; I avoid talking to my mom if I can. A lot has to do with the respect my dad always gave me. And none of the punishments my mom ever gave me were not nearly as good of a deterrent as disappointing my father.

It was always weird how polar opposite my parents were in that regard.