1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Parnell signs 3 year deal

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Sam I Am, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I looked around and couldn't find anything about this posted. I guess it slipped under the radar with the draft / Claiborne ruckus.

===========================================

Cowboys sign OT Jermey Parnell

IRVING, Texas -- On the verge of making their first-round pick in the NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys took care of some free-agent business Thursday by signing backup offensive tackle Jermey Parnell to a three-year contract, the team announced.

The deal is worth a little more than $4 million, according to sources. Parnell, who was the swing tackle in 2011 and saw limited action in six games, will receive a $1 million signing bonus.

Complete Story

============================================

Jason Garrett high on Jermey Parnell

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys’ decision to trade up for cornerback Morris Claiborne stole the headlines from the club’s decision to sign reserve tackle Jermey Parnell to a three-year deal earlier Thursday.

We kid. But Parnell does hold an important spot on the roster as the backup tackle on game days. The Cowboys are set with Tyron Smith and Doug Free at left and right tackle, and Parnell has gained the confidence of Jason Garrett the last two seasons.

Parnell played in parts of six games last season.

“We like him a lot and we let a number of veteran tackles who were backup options go last year because we felt so good about him,” Garrett said, referring to Sam Young and possibly Marc Colombo.

Complete Story
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,799 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Good move.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,091 Messages
    1,946 Likes Received
    They seem to be higher on the kid than most of the fans... Which is OK too.

His extension sorta removes my expectations of the Cowboys drafting a tackle tomorrow.
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Hope he proves worth the deal. Glad they see some potential there.
  5. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Member

195 Messages
    20 Likes Received

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,664 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    From what I've seen, his movement skills are fantastic. He was great at matching the moves of the defenders and getting in their way. He can slide and mirror without problem.

The main fault I saw with him is that he catches the defender instead of punching and extending into him. That allows the defender to get into his body and work off that to escape into the QB.

The good news is technique can be taught and refined, the movement skills can't.
  7. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some video from Parnell's pro day (doing DL drills; he's in the white shirt):

[youtube]dYVIlj_-B_E[/youtube]

Looking forward to seeing him in preseason again.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    They really like this kid... freakish athleticism.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,995 Messages
    626 Likes Received
    wow. I saw 3 year deal and assumed something around the minimum. it is tiny money for a backup though.

I think the real reason of the extra $$ is that he'd be UFA in two years. We bought out a year of UFA from him.

We did something similar with Romo a few years back.