1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pass Ratings By Target through 6 games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Oct 14, 2013.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    Romo playing crazy good football.
    SDCowboy85 likes this.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,646 Messages
    2,753 Likes Received
    Bryant and Wes Welker are the only two WR who have ranked in the top 10 in pass rating each of the last three seasons (minimum 6 targets/game).

This year, 16 of the top 20 wide receivers targeted in the NFL have as many or more drops than Dez.
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,483 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see Williams next season with hopefully a healthy offseason with Romo.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Austin blows. That's what I got out of this.
  5. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    there are 16 attempts unaccounted for but this is still great info
  6. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    It's a shame that Harris has about the same targets as Escobar. I think guys like Beasley and Harris are very underused.
  7. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,646 Messages
    2,753 Likes Received
    Thanks. It's not supposed to be comprehensive. There are other players with only a handful of targets, and there are throw aways, hurries, etc. that have no discernible target.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    And sometimes the team just doesn't utilize the player enough to justify the draft pick. See Martellus Bennett.

My problem with Escobar has never been that I dislike him. I dislike the fact that the team doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to running a 2TE offense.

Dallas spent 4 years with Martellus Bennett and averaged about 2 targets per game. Is that worth a 2nd round pick to anyone?

I had little doubt Escobar would get similar treatment which is why I didn't want to see another TE taken before the 5th round. That in addition to the fact that you don't need to spend quality picks on a TE. The rookie for the Redskins was taken almost 40 picks later than Escobar and he didn't look too bad at all.

Collinsworth pointed it out last night, Dallas is better off when they have WRs spreading the field. Now that Williams has stepped up and Beasley is making the most of his opportunities.....where exactly does the 2TE system fit in?

It doesn't. It hasn't. Dallas was much better off all of last years with 3WRs on the field.

Escobar was a wasted pick.....not because of the player though but because of a system that is better suited to have 3WRs on the field.
  9. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Umm, we used it yesterday to help slow down the blitzing and we can't play every game wide open. There is a time and place for that. I think we will see a lot of it but the 2 tight end sets and bigger sets are just as important.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Yes, much better to count on the defense (Giants) and special teams (Redskins) to do a large part of the teams scoring.

I'll take my chances going wide open any day of the week if the alternative is 200 to 300 yards of total offense and a prayer that a punt goes for 6 or that the defense makes up for the lack of scoring.

And it's not about going wide open or conservative as can be. The 2TEs are supposed to give you the flexibility to do either.

My main point is how Dallas doesn't get the most out of that #2 TE because they never utilize that player to any great extent. Never have.