1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Payton may be low-hanging fruit for starved franchise

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by silver, Nov 5, 2012.

1. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,436 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/05/4387510/cue-buzzards-payton-low-hanging.html

GIL LEBRETON

Payton may be low-hanging fruit for starved franchise
    Posted Monday, Nov. 05, 201222 Comments PrintReprintsShare

ATLANTA -- Take heart, however, because a handsome prince sits poised to save the Dallas Cowboys' crumbling kingdom.

That was Sunday's published report, at least. And it had to be a lot more encouraging for Cowboys fans to hear than the 19-13 reality-check loss to the Atlanta Falcons that followed.

The rescuer-in-waiting is Sean Payton, a Saint of a head coach, which is sort of the problem.

A report Sunday by ESPN's Adam Schefter revealed that due to proposed clauses in Payton's most recent contract extension, he may not be the coach of the New Orleans Saints when his current Bountygate suspension expires.

Which could soon make him a coaching free agent, available to sign with any team, including a team whose ever-antsy 70-year-old owner may soon be looking for a new head coach.

That's the speculation, at least. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who always seems to have ants in his general manager pants, continues to stand by his man, he reaffirmed Sunday.

Jason Garrett is head coach of the Cowboys, Jones said unhesitatingly. Pay no attention, I suppose, to the 3-5 won-loss record, or to the team's fourth loss in its past five games, or to the circling media buzzards.
  2. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Ugh. One of the bright spots is our coaching?

The line about Jason's future being ahead of him is so Jerry.
  3. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,436 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    it's all lies!!! [IMG]
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,406 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    The only thing that sucks about our cake schedule the second half of the year, is that getting to 8-8 or 9-7 means that JG will be back next year.
  5. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,950 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Don't worry this team isn't getting to 9-7 or probably 8-8.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,229 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    what about the second half is cake?

Who cares what the team's record says right now, teams play different when they play the Cowboys.

We will lose to:
    Pittsburgh
    Cincy
    Philly at least once
    New Orleans
    Washington at least once

We may beat:
    Philly once
    Cleveland
    Washington

I see 7-9 tops, more like 6-10.

thanks Jerry. :banghead:
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,406 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    Yea. I just meant that it's now possible because you can play poor football and beat teams like Washington and Cleveland.
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,436 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    9-7? He should come back. That's actually good folks. Don't let the hatred for JG get in the way of the team's goals y'all
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    There is no way this team winds up 9-7.

Only 2 losses the rest of the way? Absolutely no chance.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,406 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    What goal would 9-7 be reaching?
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,436 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    winning record? 6-2 in the second half of the season? hey it's a start. i'm not holding my breath mind you, but if we do go 6-2 the rest of the way and sneak in the post season ginger should be applauded.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,406 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    Well, agree to disagree I guess. The way he's had this team in disarray for the first half of the season, and most of last year, shouldn't be voided by a good run against a bunch of sub .500 teams.