1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

People Who Don't Drink

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Aikmaniac, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Had a decent conversation with a co-worker today regarding those who choose not to drink alcohol.

I'm curious to read some thoughts from you guys about this.

Personally, I do not drink. On nights I go out with close friends, there is no awkwardness at all, however when I was on the dating scene, I felt as though the women I dated were somewhat intimidated by this.

It seems that they immediately try to "comfort" me by saying that they a) don't drink all the time, b) never drink beer, or c) have some wine with dinner or on special occasions.

Now, it's not some religious thing nor am I judgmental of those who do drink. I just have decided not to. Just like those who are vegetarians or anyone who won't drink soda.

Are any of you non-drinkers or know someone in your circle who doesn't drink? If so, how do you approach the issue without "intimidating" those that do?
  2. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    I'm pretty much exactly like you on the subject. I don't drink. Its not religious or I don't look down on anyone. Just a personal choice.

I just try to go with the flow, and if it is their problem, thats on them, I just be myself and act normal.

But being in college and people knowing I don't drink is annoying. People and girls instantly think I don't like to have "fun" or I'm not "exciting". And I often don't get invited to places because of this. Which I just don't understand. But anyway, thats just my take.
  3. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,642 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    I've never met a person who didn't drink, that I wanted to be around while drunk. Not to say I don't know some awesome people who don't drink. One of my better friends doesn't drink. Now, he's ok hanging out at a bar watching a game, while we drink, but at a house party or something? He's kind of boring to have around.

Boring to be around. Pretty much sums up my feeling on people who don't drink, at a party where everyone is drunk.
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Damn you are in College already. Wow. Time does indeed fly by.

I always find that an odd thing to be judgemental about unless someone is getting hammered and out of control.

I have plenty of friends that rarely drink or don't at all. One of the reasons I don't hit the bars to watch games is because I don't want to even put myself in that situation. My parents only drink when we (legal except one) encourage it.

Only time I really rockstar these days is when I go to Vegas for Halloween. That is my annual trip and we do it up.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,708 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Ha! No kidding, that was my first thought.
  6. cowboyeric8

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    You are telling me, I feel like I just got to college and I'm graduating in August.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    I drink, but the majority of the guys I've dated in the past 10 years or so don't.

It doesn't bother me one bit, because I've never been an out of control drinker anyway. If we're out and about, their non-drinking isn't going to stop me from getting a drink if I'm in the mood for it.

My little brother doesn't drink and his whole position was nobody could give him a good reason to drink.
  8. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Interesting take on it. But I have heard it before.

My friends that don't drink are still a blast to be around. Fun and silly, and just having a good time. The ones that rarely drink might be convinced to have a shot and that makes it fun too.

I never had a problem with my friends in that situation. Sometimes we all have to be responsible.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,708 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    For the most part, people that don't drink aren't fun. You may be the exception, but (1) a very small minority of people do not drink, particularly in college, and (2) of the people that do not drink, an even smaller minority are actually fun to hang out with.

So either you're being unduly stereo-typed or you're just boring and don't know it. ;)
  10. WoodysGirl

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Congratulations!!!

So you're actually finishing in four years, huh? Or well, four years and change.
  11. cowboyeric8

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Haha, I always felt I kind of go unnoticed around here.
  12. WoodysGirl

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    I still consider you and Dawgs0916 one of our Zone kids.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,417 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    Both my parents were alcoholics. Both of my brothers are. Several cousins and some Aunts and Uncles.

My parents owned a bar until they divorced. I spent a lot of nights in the back room of that bar.

When I found football my first coach was a guy who made us sign a contract not to drink soda, chew tobacco, smoke, do drugs, or drink. He said that stuff would take away from you.

I played with teams that had those rules and teams that didn't. I cannot deny the teams that had the rules were better, more together teams and the game was more fun because of it.

When I decided to walk on I chose a football team with those kinds of rules for exactly that reason. You had to sign a contract.

Not drinking started as a choice for me. It became something that my vanity would not allow. I say that because I openly admit I saw steroid use in college and I saw it work and I was very tempted. If I had not got hurt I would have done steroids. I know it. I am not proud of that admission.

When I got hurt I nearly got hooked on the pain killers. I actually took them to the team Doc and said take them away.

I know I have addiction in my genetic makeup. I made a choice not to drink for football. I don't drink now because I would lose everything. I've seen it happen so many times to people I love that I cannot count it and I have the same genetics they do.

Some people can drink. I can't, so I never have. I've seen too much.
  14. cowboyeric8

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Yes ma'am, I sure am. And that was just because of a horrible semester and a change of major. I'm hoping to go to grad school at either Texas A&M or University of Dallas, but I have to get accepted first, so we shall see.
  15. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Crazy right ??? I remember him being in 9th or 8th grade.

Congrats. Real world is even harder for some folks.
    You are just making me feel older.
  16. cowboyeric8

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Thank you. Yeah, to be honest I'm not exactly looking forward to the real world. Haha.
  17. WoodysGirl

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    That's awesome. And I understand about the horrible semester.

What's your major and what are you trying to study in grad school?
  18. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I always say to people... do what's best for you.

If I had that environment and situation I probably would have never had a drink either. My Dad can buy a 6-pack and try to savor it for six months.
  19. cowboyeric8

5,196 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Well my major is business management, and I'm planning to go for a masters in sports management. And jobs greatly vary with that degree. I would love to do the business side of sports, the marketing, management, and sales. A job that I would really like is a intramural director at a university. But I'm sure I will take whatever I can get.
  20. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    You seem to be mature enough to do positive things in life. Don't stress too much.

And you are welcome.

EDIT: Go to law school and become an agent if those are your interests. I have a family member that did the same thing.