1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per DMN: Pat Summerall Has Died

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Picksix, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ehcrossing

ehcrossing Member

892 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    What he said.

R.I.P Pat
  2. RSM94

RSM94 Member

64 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Pat and Madden were the best..... He will be missed.....
  3. ctrous25

ctrous25 Stay Classy Philly/Minny

879 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    My favorite three words as a kid were when Summeral would say," Aikman to Irvin!"
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,872 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    I loved Pat Summerall and started to appreciate him more as I got older.

The beauty of Summerall was his announcing was very selfless. In today's world of announcing the announcers are more concerned about yelling at the top of their lungs, using some sort of catchphrase and 'making a great call.' Summerall's professional approach put the focus to where it belongs...on the players and the play on the field.

I remember one great touchdown on a big play and all Summerall said, but said it so perfectly was.....Touchdown Dallas.....Alvin Harper.

The audience knew it was a great play and a great touchdown, they didn't need anything more from the play-by-play announcer.

He also focused on and paid attention to the actual game on hand. I remember he did some guest announcing with the clowns in the booth of Patrick, Theismann and Maguire. A kickoff returner was returning one for a touchdown and a defender hustled and pushed him out of bounds before he could score.

Maguire exclaimed 'what a great special teams coverage play!' (by the defender).

You could see that Summerall was a bit disgusted and replied 'when is giving up an 80 yard kickoff return a great special team coverage play?'

Classic.

YR
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me?

3,628 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    IMO he was a major cog in the wheel that was the nineties. He called a ton of great games. But I also loved him and Brookshire too.

I always felt he enjoyed calling Cowboys games as much as I enjoyed watching them.

RIP
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

2,273 Messages
    789 Likes Received
  7. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

9,328 Messages
    3,870 Likes Received
    Summerall was the best I ever heard do play-by-play of a football game.

I can't even think of a close 2nd.
  8. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Godspeed.
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,839 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Keith Whoa Nelly Jackson comes to mind.
  10. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,123 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    R.I.P. Pat, you will be missed.
  11. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

9,328 Messages
    3,870 Likes Received
    I was watching the 1979 Skins at Cowboys recently (Summerall and Brookshire). We get a shot of a rather attractive woman in the stands, and Summerall deadpans, "It's cold here at Texas Stadium, but some of these fans are well-equipped."

After a long pause, Brookshire responds, "You can say that."
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,073 Messages
    12,987 Likes Received
    Aikman. Irvin. Touchdown, Dallas.

Perfection.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

15,839 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    yeah nothing overboard like Musberger over Miss Alabama
  14. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

781 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Mr. Summerall. You were very, very good. I never grew tired of hearing that voice.
  15. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    [youtube]kUEtEfo2vbM[/youtube]
  16. CanadianCowboysFan

15,839 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    What is weird is that the game wasn't moved to 4pm that day, must have been CBS didn't have the second game that day.

I remember I was at a hockey game here in Vancouver that day and I had to keep calling home to get updates.
  17. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    He will be missed. It's a voice of my childhood. He did alot of Cowboy games. It was a pleasure to listen to him. Very sad day.
  18. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,202 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Couple of years ago, I heard Roger speak.

He was interviewed by an equal - Pat.

Glad I had a chance to see Pat while he was on this Earth.

RIP
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

36,300 Messages
    2,716 Likes Received
    I remember Summerall and Brookshier as a small boy broadcasting games. Hard to believe Pat Summerall is gone.
  20. playmakers

playmakers Active Member

1,151 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What a difference in broadcasting if you watch the YouTube stuff. I remember Summerall as a kid and I live in the Philly area and back in the day it was "yes, the games on locally. And yes, Summerall and Madden are doing the game."

In today's game all the announcers attempt to be critical of something every week. Like its part of their job description. Listen to Summerall and Madden, they were never critical and were fun loving. They were about helping the players not kick em when there down. For example, did you guys watch the youtube Leon Lett call by Madden on the offsides? That was hilarious and good morale(sp) for the player. Today, he would get ripped big time.