1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Per Jerry: A certain DE is near the top of our board

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 26, 2011.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,508 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    I'm sitting here listening to the pre draft presser and somebody asked specifically about the DEs in this draft..paraphrasing here Jerry said there is a certain DE who is close to the top of our draft board and very well could be available at 9

Watt obviously comes to mind here..but what is interesting is how highly they have Watt ranked on their board...assuming that watt is indeed who he is referring to...this would mean Watt is darn near a top 5 player on our board

Technically he could be speaking about Dareus, but based on all the recent info, it sure sounds like Watt
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I would put my money on Cameron Jordan
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Me too.
  4. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    I believe he said there very well could be a 3-4 end at the top of most teams board, not ours.

Dareus. Maybe I didn't hear that right?
  5. GloryDaysRBack

9,508 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    He also said could be available @9..Dareus surely won't be
  6. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I'm thinking the same thing.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    He's correct in saying could be. The point i'm interested in is the part about whether it was said OUR or most teams board.

IIRC, I heard most teams board, which implies Dareus to me.

Like I said, I could have heard it wrong so just checking with others that heard it too.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

9,508 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    I'm sticking to my gut here..he is talking about Watt..Watt is going to be our pick barring a deal for Peterson

Technically speaking, you are correct..it could be Dareus
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Member

42 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he's referring to Cameron Jordan, I wouldn't mind the pick. I like both Watt and Jordan, but I give a slight edge to Jordan. I'm sure this video has been posted and discussed, but here he is against Colorado:

[youtube]LOx7bqKP4m0[/youtube]

He looks to have a good motor and keeps working hard to fight off blocks and get back in plays. In this game, he drew a lot of double teams, but still got consistent pressure in the backfield. He is effective against both the run and the pass. He can occasionally overrun a play and needs to finish a bit better at times by making the tackle, but he looks like a solid player.
  10. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I know they have Watt and Jordan ranked right there together. Could be either but I'm going with the original just like I did with Costanzo and saying Jordan.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Would not be opposed to the pick but anything being said by the poker players means nothing until they lay the cards down.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I like Jordan more, too, and IIRC we were more interested in him early in the process before all the BS starts flying. But that scouts survey that preferred Watt by a pretty big margin makes me pause.
  13. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,138 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    I still think that we'll back out into the teens on Thursday and pick up some extra picks. Some of those picks may get packaged to move around, but there's simply too much interest in #9 to stay there unless the unthinkable occurs.
  14. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Jordan seems like a better overall player IMO.
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I bet if you ask Jerry about a OT he will say
    "There is a certian OT close to the top of our board."
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I don't doubt that. Many names have been floated from Cam Newton to this current statement. I don't consider this a big lie just a form of poker where you never show your hand until the very end.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,997 Messages
    7,745 Likes Received
    I'd be pretty happy with one of the DE picks. Especially if we got it in a trade down. We could get OG/OC with the trade down and our second rounder and end up with three quality trench players. That strategy lines up pretty well with where the talent is in the draft. Dealing Bennett for more depth wouldn't upset me, either.

We'd have to address S and OT in FA, but we could get that done if we were committed to doing it.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,299 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    If we take a DE not named Dareus at 9 instead of trading down...BP will not be happy. Like they care if I am happy or not.
  19. dalexa1824

dalexa1824 Member

95 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The answer to this riddle is Fairley.
  20. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I can all but guarantee you that's not the answer.