1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Percy Harvin on the Block

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Offsides, Feb 10, 2013.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    With Harvin, Jerry has a built in sponsor of the Death Star.

Welcome to Advil Stadium, where the likelihood of a migraine is limited by that little blue pill. No, not that one, the gel cap that eases pain.

Ask Jerry Jones. he's had a migraine since Jimmy left. How else would you account for that face?
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Harvin's All-purpose yards
    2081 yds in 2009(17.79 yds per touch)
    1908 yds in 2010(14.79 yds per touch)
    1832 yds in 2011( 11.82 yds per touch)
    1347 yds in 2012(13.47 yds per touch)

Is this not a disturbing trend? To me it is disturbing enough not to trade a player, a draft pick and offer up a big contract to get Harvin. That is spending too much to fix a problem that does not exist. Miles Austin is not a problem. Fix the O-line, fix the O-line, fix the O-line.
  3. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    This is a terrible way of looking at it.

Yards per game receiving: 2009: 52.7 2010: 62.0 2011: 60.4 2012: 75.2

Yards per return: 2009: 27.5 2010: 23.3 2011: 32.5 2012: 35.9

What is really happening is that Harvin has steadily improved every year. His rookie year he had prime Favre so his receiving numbers were fairly high. In 2010 they went up 10 yards per game despite severe regression from Favre. In 2011 they dipped a bit because he was playing with the corpse of McNabb and rookie Ponder. In 2012 he exploded for 75 yards per game despite being playing with a fairly bad qb.

His "all purpose yards" appear to be going down because he missed time in 2012 and because he was played on fewer and fewer kick returns (but notice, his average on kick returns has been improving).
  4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Right as I stated earlier he was the #1 WR in the league that last 8 games of 2011 and some had him as a MVP caliber guy his first part of 2012.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-mvp-candidate

5. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,482 Messages
    958 Likes Received
    I love Percy Harvin but we need to keep our eye on the ball - OL, Safety, DL, etc.
  6. joseephuss

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    And none of that translated into wins. The Vikes went 1-7 in the last 8 games of 2011. They went 5-4 in the first 9 games of 2012 while Harvin was on the field. Once he was gone, the Vikings finished up 5-2.
  7. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    It's not like the Vikes couldn't draft a QB in the first round.

I don't think they should.

Wouldn't be a bad pick though.

Still too early to determine that situation.
  8. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,684 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Good point. Cowboys fans are still hurting over those two.
  9. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    What does that have to do with his value? You are acting like a WR/RB/Kick Returner is supposed to lead a team to a SB by himself. The question is what value does he have overall and he has plenty, as the stats pointed out. They were 5-2 at one point and lost to TB and Seattle. AP had lot of yards in those games...maybe him getting too many yards lost the games...see how that works? Doesn't make any sense or take into account defense or any other player that doesn't touch it every offensive play like a QB.
  10. joseephuss

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I have already put up other stats that show his value is not worth Dallas giving up a player and a draft pick to get him. Especially the 3rd round pick that has been mentioned in this thread. His numbers have gone down each year, both totals and averages per reception and touch. Throw in that his team has better success when he is not on the field and I don't see how is value is high enough to throw away a draft pick to get him along with Miles Austin. Losing a 3rd round pick does not help the Cowboys offensive line. Harvin's value is not that high in my opinion.
  11. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,910 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    why? both are injury prone. harvin has an attitude issue. austin, when healthy can have dominating games. so why trade one for the other? makes no sense.
  12. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I don't want to give up anything to get him. We have other issues all together. That we completely agree with. I was just stating his value over the last year and as pointed out in the stats I put out there. He is definitely a top tier talent. Before his injury this year his stats were actually on the rise and the guy was in MVP conversations though.

As an aside I keep seeing he is injury prone. Until this injury he had missed only 3 games in 3 years. He played 14, 15 and 16 games. The migraine thing rarely affected him on the field.
  13. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Active Member

754 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Nice sig...mine is an '01 also, except red.:cool:
  14. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    He is a great talent. I'd love to see him here, but we don't have a ton of money to spend and we have much more pressing needs.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Is that guy around? I'm betting he can still play, with the smaller frame and stuff. :laugh2:
  16. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I think he is going to Denver or Seattle since it is legal to smoke marijuana up there.

On a serious note, his health is a concern. Not only he likes to smoke it up, he missed games because of his migraines.

If Harvin came to the Cowboys, I think he would make an impact but I don't think he is dependable and the Cowboys need someone who they can depend on every week.

Harvin would be great on a team that won't rely on him a lot like a New England, Atlanta, New Orleans, or maybe Tampa Bay.
  17. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    He missed 3 games total his first 3 years. He played in 15, 14 and 16 games until this injury. The injury label was just false.
  18. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    True but the thing is that he is capable of missing games due to a condition.

Regarding the injury label, I didn't label him as that. I just think he might not be dependable for the Dallas Cowboys because the Cowboys would make him a feature on the offense. Last season, I felt that he could of got back on the field before the season ended.
  19. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I'm not going after you. Sorry about that. I just used to read the same thing when they talked about his Migraines. But the reality is, up until this injury, he was pretty reliable and a stud for them. He was the #1 WR in the league the last half of 2011. I don't want to throw picks at a WR again either. That isn't my intention here. I just am seeing a lot of things about the guy that I don't think are completely true when evaluating him.
  20. joseephuss

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    You have repeated that several times. It isn't true. In the second half of the 2011 season Harvin had 633 yards. Roddy White(795), Calvin Johnson(877), Victor Cruz(948), Marques Colston(719) and Larry Fitzgerald(765) all had more. And I just looked up those guys at random. There could be more guys that produced more yards in that time frame.