1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peter King says Luck staying in school

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dbair1967, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    SI's Peter King reported on Sunday Football Night in America on NBC Sunday that Stanford QB Andrew Luck's "current plan" is to stay in school rather than leave for the 2011 NFL draft.

King cites Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who does not believe Luck will go pro because of his commitment to academics. Should Luck enter the draft, he'd be the consensus favorite to be selected first overall by the Panthers. Ultimately, the third-year sophomore's decision may depend on his performance in the Cardinal's December 3 Orange Bowl matchup with Virginia Tech. The Hokies have one of the most talented secondaries in college football. Dec. 26 - 8:32 pm et
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This would be a stupid mistake.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    epically stupid mistake

Still think Harbaugh leaves and Luck leaves as well
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Staying in school if you are a QB is rarely a mistake.

I'm still not convinced he will, but if he does good for him. Maybe Harbaugh is telling him he's staying at Stanford too, and they probably feel like they are gonna be a legit national title contender next yr.
  5. Manwiththeplan

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    It's a mistake if they institute a rookie cap that effects the 2012 draft. We're talking about losing tens of millions of dollars even if he holds onto the #1 pick.
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It might hurt him financially in the beginning, then again if he believes in himself and he's as good as most think, he will make the money eventually. There's also off field endorsements which will pay him huge dollars, and he'd probably get that very early on.
  7. Manwiththeplan

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    All the more reason to go pro a year ealier. If Luck stays another year, he may be a better rookie and may get "it" sooner, but if he's gonna be a player, 1 year won't make a difference. So he gets 1 more year as a pro, 1 more year for endorsements and he avoids the rookie cap.
  8. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,858 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    There is absolutely no upside to staying in school as far as the draft is concerned.
  9. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'll believe it when I see it.

He can always get his degree but he may not always be able to cash in.
  10. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,174 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Ask Jake Locker about that plan.
  11. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who was preaching this earlier again?
  12. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Horid plan, currently he is viewed as a flawless prospect, an Aikman. Only negatives can come from going back.
  13. Manwiththeplan

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Jake Locker allegedly didn't recieve a first round grade when he applied for an evaluation last years, so I don't think he would've been the top pick like Luck. IMO, once scouts looked at game tape, he would've been exposed and likely been a 2nd round pick.

Atleast now, he can play in the senior bowl, which typically helps. BTW does anyone know who is coaching the senior bowl?
  14. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Locker would've been a first round pick, Vikings at #30 the latest, and wasn't there reports that the Rams would've taken Locker over Bradford around mid march when people were still debating Bradford or Clausen, and people were saying if only Locker declared we wouldn't be arguing this right now we'd just be placing in Bradford at #4 to washington, and Clausen at the next needed QB slot.

Infact if Locker did declare, its entirely likely that Bradford would be facing us for over the next decade over in washington, so we all owe him a huge thank you for his dumb mistake.
  15. Manwiththeplan

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Based on what? If the Vikes weren't desperate enough to draft Clausen, what makes you believe that they would've taken Locker? Minnesota was in a win no mode and selected 2 playeres they atleast believed would help them win now.

The underclassmen deadline is in January, so once he returned to school, it would be stupid for Rams scouts to waste anytime looking at his game film and breaking him down. Therefor any "reports" were just pure speculation.

The problem with this theory is he would have to wow scouts with his workouts to go this high (I think we can all atleast agree that once his actual game film was broken down, his stock would fall a bit). And if he was capable of doing that last year, he has an even greater opportunity to this year because he can play in the senior bowl.

All in all, Locker never would've went ahead of Bradford, despite all the Todd McShay love he recieved and I believe despite not taking full advantage of going back to school, he made the right decision coming back.
  16. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,225 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    We'll see after the Orange Bowl.
  17. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Even Matt Leinart thinks this is a bad idea.

[IMG]
  18. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    why stay in school when you can bccome a millionaire

plus I see Carolina hiring Harbaugh - Harbaugh picking Luck first
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Leinart did it and I bet his bank account regrets it.
  20. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

970 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Announces this hours after Carolina secures the #1 overall pick.

Coincidence? Possible, but I doubt it. He just doesn't want to play for Carolina.