1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Peterson question

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fortdick, Apr 25, 2011.

1. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I know that a lot of folks have some man love for Peterson, but what I am still unclear on is what position will he play? I have read Hos's opine that he is a once in a decade talent, but I have also read that he would be converted to safety.

What position would he play? Why trade up for a CB we would move to safety?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I think the guy is a CB and will remain a CB. Some where down the road in his career he may get moved but the guy has shown himself as a big time playmaker at CB and I don't see that changing.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    My guess is he will be drafted as a CB for anyone who drafts him, but the safety option is always there.
  4. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I jus tthink that we are much better off at CB right ow than at safety. Until we get the safety situation straightened out, our defense will always be suspect, and that has always harkened back to bad safety play with this team. We have been missing good safety play since Woody retired.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I agree we need a safety but if you take Peterson then play him at his natural position and draft a safety
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    I think he'll start opposite Newman at CB. I know there's a contingent that thinks Newman would be released - I think that's the absolute worst decision the team could make considering Mike Jenkins' last year, and now a year coming up with the possibility of no training camp to prepare.

I think this team ends up restructuring Newman's deal since the injunction will restore 2010 free agency/cap rules -- with the year being uncapped, I'm sure Newman wouldn't mind getting a huge chunk of his contract this year and having the remaining years be cap-friendly. Win for all sides.

My dream defensive backfield?

CB: Peterson, Newman
    FS: Huff
    SS: Sensabaugh
    NB: Jenkins
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I doubt this. If anything, I think he would start in place of Newman and Newman would become the 3rd CB.

Jenkins is capable of playing great, you just have to beat him over the head to do it. I think Garrett will get it out of him. I think the fact that we finally got a real DC (instead of Paul) should help quite a bit. As for his play with Wade, well, Wade lost the entire team. What did you expect from a lazy player when Wade is your head coach?
  8. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Crossing fingers. I would also like to see Dallas trade next years 1st round to New England(for 33) so we can address our RT situation this year.
  9. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,405 Messages
    583 Likes Received

The once in a decade players seem to crop up a lot. Wasnt Bush one of those players? seems every draft has one. maybe the promoters need to find a new term like weather people do every year, one year its the heat wave, than heat index, than heat forcast.

the draft needs a decade player, century player, cant miss player, we already put him in canton player, this guy is good he plays on the team by himself.

the fact of the matter still remains every year, the draft is a crap shoot.
  10. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    :puke:

Trade next year's first for a second round pick? That would only make sense if we win the SB, and not even then, IMO.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Either you misunderstood or whoever you read doesn't know much. I think most will say he could always move to safety if he had too. But the guy is definitely a corner. Now the one thing the Cowboys could do if they drafted him is to play him at safety as a rookie and then to corner when it's time to move out Newman. Landry actually did that with Mel Renfro. Peterson just gives them the option to do what is best for the team.

If anyone saw the cornerback drills at the combine. Peterson was more impressive than both Akumara and Smith. Smith being the one who looked like he might be too stiff to play corner.