1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Callahan becomes apparent compromise between Jones, Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joe Realist, Jan 23, 2013.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    Again, cover your own eyes.

Pretend it's all Ok and that these are all great moves.

Shake your pom-poms, buy your jerseys and hand over your money like a sheep.

Give us the Kevin Bacon "All is well" line.

Do whatever you want.

Just don't expect the rest of us to.
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Andy Reid faced the same pressure last year, and it was a total disaster.

I don't have any faith that this team can rise to the occasion. Give them a couple early losses, just a little adversity and this team will tank.

As such, this type of pressure will only result in another wasted year in Romo, Ware and Witten's careers. I'd rather get the firing over with now.
  3. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,282 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Whether the moves turn out to be good or not is irrelevant to what my point was.
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,252 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Garrett is gone if we dont improve on 8-8 .
  5. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    Then you've done a fine job of setting yourself up for a 'can't lose' proposition.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    That's fine. If they're not good enough to handle the adversity, then they deserve to lose.

I don't mind Garrett as a head coach too much. The arrogance I dislike, but it's less of a problem when he's not calling plays. I don't think this team was too far off from competing in the playoffs. Some of the problems are easily fixed, and Jerry just fixed one big one.
  7. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    My guess is playoffs.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs, the old man will blow it all up and reach for yet another quick fix that will fail.

And we'll be looking at another rebuilding project.

With no head coach worth anything willing to come to "Dysfunction Junction".
  8. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,036 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I am never a person who ever wants a team to tank... however only good can come from 2013, either the new way the team is being ran works and makes both JG and JJ look like geniuses, or we tank and get clowney.:banghead:
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,900 Messages
    7,647 Likes Received
    Yeah. They really nailed the firing of Rob Ryan after the season. And Skip Peete. That Matt Eberflus was likely gone. That Norv Turner might be coming here as OC. That Tony Sparano might be coming here as OC. That somebody else might be coming here as OC. The Monte Kiffin would be hired as DC. The were right on top of the reported riff between Jerome Henderson and Rob Ryan while that was going on. They had us letting Spencer walk in the offseason because we couldn't afford him, the day before we reached out for preliminary talks. They had Jason Garrett wanting to hold onto play calling, just days before Jerry and Jason reported that the opposite was true. They had Lovie Smith potentially coming here. And Ray Horton. And Mike Tice.

So, you take those clowns that have given you some level of truth--depending on how you define the word 'some'--if it makes you feel better. Me, I'll wait until the actual story comes out to decide what I think likely happened, and then I'll probably end up chalking up the team changing play calling responsibilities to the team changing play calling responsibilities and hope it ends up being an improvement for everybody involved instead of deciding it's yet another interpretation of the tea leaves that means the sky is falling at Valley Ranch because our team's gone 8-8 two years in a row.
  10. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    I made myself clear on this particular case. If you want to try to muddy the waters for your own benefit, feel free. I made my intentions clear.

You're free to do as you wish.

You somehow continue to try to sell yourself and anyone else who will listen that 8-8 in 2011 and 8-8 in 2012 = improvement.

That tells me all I need to know.
  11. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,696 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    that will be always the HC decision
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    My guess is that one playoff win is the line.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you may be right.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,900 Messages
    7,647 Likes Received
    You know who I really miss? Wade Wilson. Man, I used to love that guy.
  15. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,282 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    That has never been a proposition for me. My original contention was with respect to the article posted and its claims of emasculation or that Mort was right. The media throws a lot of stuff out there. They're bound to "complete some passes" as someone so aptly put it earlier. What they don't (or rarely ever do) is tell you what they were wrong about. They only want to reinforce to you what they were right about.

Whether these moves fail or not is indeterminable right now. It's a moot point. But there was no way Garrett wasn't going to get at least three years, and at least changes are happening, and they aren't just for the "sake of it".
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,595 Messages
    9,790 Likes Received
    I don't know about that.

If we were to win the division, get a bye and lose a close one in the divisional round, I can't see Garrett being fired. I'd be really surprised.

Even if we didn't have the bye. Just winning the division I think would get Garrett another year because that's a clear sign of progress. I don't see Jerry letting go of Garrett while he's progressing.

Now, another 8-8 season and he's a goner. Regardless of how responsible he really is for that record.
  17. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    And I have no trouble criticizing them when they're wrong.

But I have no trouble giving them credit when they're right as well.

Even when it's something that paints the Cowboys in a particularly ugly light.

I won't shut my eyes and ears to that because it might be information I'm not happy with.

Aren't they?

I'm just not sure.

Is transitioning from 3-4 to 4-3 with the intention to win now really a wise course of action?

Was pairing a veteran team stocked with Pro Bowl players with an inexperienced head coach learning on the job a smart move?

And are these latest changes the answer to improving on consecutive 8-8 seasons or will they just make things worse?

I have to wonder that if you're wanting this many wholesale changes, why would you not do it all the way and change at the top?

(Not the very top of course as that guy can be terrible and keep his job!)
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,680 Messages
    5,826 Likes Received
    My prediction for the world: Everything that is going to happen tomorrow is going to happen.

I will come back in 2-days and I'm guaranteed to be correct.
  19. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,143 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    I agree. If this offseason has shown us anything, its that the very last thing Jerry wants to do is fire Garrett. He's done everything but that so far. And he's the perfect coach for Jerry, part of "the family."

If and or when he has to let go Garrett, he almost has to go get a 'name' guy like Gruden or Holmgren. That means less Jerry face time, and less control of his team.

Playoffs, even a first round exit, will be enough for Jerry to point at IMO and say "See, improvement!" so he can keep his hand picked golden boy in place and keep the status quo with him in charge.

Which is all he really cares about.
  20. stasheroo

18,129 Messages
    1,826 Likes Received
    Question to the furm and maybe I've just missed it.

Has anyone officially stated that Callahan is the new playcaller?

And if not, why not?