1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: CBA in a Nutshell/Who Won Players or Owners...CBA Summary PDF Post #21

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    PFT wanted to give folks just joining the party a broad outline of the agreement.

Length of agreement: We’ve got ten years of labor peace on the way. There is no opt out clause in the deal.

Revenue split: This is what it was all about. The players were on defense the whole time, knowing that owners would get a larger share of the overall pie.

The two sides agreed on a new “all revenue” model. It’s a little complicated, but overall the players must average at least 47 percent of all revenue for the 10-year term of the agreement.

The money was counted differently in the past, but the split was essentially closer to 50-50 before.

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/the-cba-in-a-nutshell/

I say players. I hope what I read in there backs it up.
  2. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I say everyone won. Especially the fans.
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

I think if it werent for the troubling concussions studies that would be a done deal. But Im afraid the news on the studies is only going to get worse
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree.

Good to see you Nick. Miss you over at soonerfans

Don't be a stranger :D
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,008 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    This cba is better for the owners than the last one. The last one was a sweetheart deal that was getting better and better because the revenue was increasing but the owners were only getting that one billion off the top along with the old split. The new cba has a much better split that the owners can live with, so of course they won, that was expected. But the players are going to continue to get paid handsomely anyway so it's not like they are losers or anything.
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'd say I won. 4 Dallas Cowboy preseason games and 16 Dallas Cowboy regualr season games.
  7. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ticket prices and the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket just went up like the unemployment rate. I don't know that the fans won.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,396 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    The players are getting less of total revenues and future expansion is not what it was going to be. That surely favors the owner.

Players get shorter rookie deals and RFA. That surely favors the players.

Retired players get $100m a year for benefits and medical stuff. That surely favors them.

We get football back. That surely favors us.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,875 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    The fans in a BIG, BIG, BIG WAY.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Both sides came out quite well.

Owners got a 2-4% increase in pay by percentage of revenue.
    Half the league saw salary increases as half the league is earning minimums.

Rookies were scaled back at the top end severely in a big win for owners.

Veteran funds were in creased by 1 B.

Fans get charged still but also get 10 years of labor peace and on loss of actual games except the hall of fame game.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,667 Messages
    429 Likes Received

This ....
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,403 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    No one wins these things. Least of all the fans.
  13. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, I just read through that, and all in all this sounds pretty fair.

it would be nice if someone wrote an article showing, issues by issue, where players and owners were when these negotiatiosn started out just before the courts got involved, and where things ended up. You can even assign points to each issue weighted by how important each issue was to getting to a final CBA. Then you can divvy up the points for each issue to each side based on who got closer to getting what they ideally wanted on that issue. Then you can count up the points to see who won based on who got more points, and which overall issue(s) help detemine the winner.
  14. Hoofbite

31,875 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    I dunno. 10 years of not having to worry about it again seems awfully cool to me.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,403 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    It doesn't make up for 4 months of bitterness for me.
  16. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    After scanning the details of the NFL owners' proposal for a new labor deal, I have some advice for DeMaurice Smith.

Race to get that thing approved.

Both sides will claim victory when the CBA is finally completed -- and it will get done since there are only some small issues left, according to a handful of players -- but that's not the way I see it.

The players scored a TKO.

With the exception of opening up the books, which was never going to happen, this deal would include almost everything the players wanted to get.

Smith, for all the criticism he has taken for being as defiant as he's come off, deserves plenty of praise for getting his players this deal.

The owners will spin it their way, but the issues all went the way of the players.

Just look at them:........

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/30788649

Forgot about the workman's comp. Thats a totally sweet deal for the rank-and-file guys who barely make a blip.
  17. Hoofbite

31,875 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Well, yeah that sucked but there's always tomorrow and the next 3650 days of peace.
  18. MarionBarberThe4th

11,817 Messages
    65 Likes Received

Theres some leap years in there
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I guess everybody's different. I'll trade 4 months of bitterness for a full season. Had we missed any regular season games, I'd feel different, but I kinda feel like no harm no foul.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So the biggest issue was how to split the cash. In this deal the players get 47percent of all revenue in the next 10 years.

What percentage were they asking for before this hit the courts, and what were the owners offering?