1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT.com: Ingram, Gilmore look like Top 15 picks at South Carolina Pro Day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by wittenacious, Mar 28, 2012.

1. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two of the 15 best players in this year’s NFL draft may have come from South Carolina, where outside linebacker Melvin Ingram and cornerback Stephon Gilmore both impressed at today’s Pro Day.

[...]

Mayock compared the role Ingram can play in an NFL defense to what James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley have done for the Steelers.

[...]

Gilmore, who started 40 games at South Carolina, looks like the second-best cornerback in the draft, behind LSU’s Morris Claiborne.

“Trust me, six-foot corners with long arms are rare, especially when they run 4.4 with his movement skills,” Mayock said of Gilmore. “I’ve got him as the No. 2 corner for a reason. I think he’s a Top 10 to Top 15 pick. Not a lot of people have him that high, but I saw it again today.”

[...]

read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-like-top-15-picks-at-south-carolina-pro-day/
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,140 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    I still hope Ingram drops to 14 but Gilmore was not on my radar at all,we definitely need a corner though.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    I doubt they go corner at 14, but Gilmore would be the guy over the other two that's been mentioned. (with Claiborne gone)
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Both Ingram and Gilmore should be players on Dallas' real short list, imo.

Barron
    Gilmore
    Ingram
    Konz

Going with the top players at their respective positions eliminates more risky players like Upshaw, Brockers, Cox, Mercilus, and Kirkpatrick. Barron is the number 1 safety and a top 20 pick on tape according to Mayock. Gilmore was a more explosive, more productive player at South Carolina than Dre Kirkpatrick was at Alabama. Ingram is the number 1 34 outside linebacker. Konz is the number 1 center.

Furthermore, Barron and Konz are day one starters in Dallas. Ingram is going to play significant time. Gilmore should challenge for a starting job right off the bat, and he should be Dallas' most talented CB.
  5. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,823 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Gilmore gone before #14.
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I forgot Quinton Coples. He has the pass rush on tape, and Micheal Brockers doesn't. Coples is the number 1 DE in this draft. If Coples can pass the interviews and psychological testing and sell himself as loving football, then he would be on my short list, too. He can play the 5 technique, rush inside at DT, or line up wide (with his hand in the dirt) and rush from LDE.

Coples
    Barron
    Gilmore
    Ingram
    Konz

If I was the Cowboys, this would be my short list.
  7. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not bad but mine is different.

Richardson
    Claibourn
    Colpes
    Ingram
    Kirkpatrick
    Poe
    Gilmore
  8. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm starting to believe it.

Looks to be an outstanding athlete and very capable CB. I like his size, speed and attitude. Looks like he's gonna be a good one in the NFL.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Damn, the draft needs to get here. It's like a bingo balls in a bingo machine with the way the players are bouncing around. :laugh2:

[youtube]ioodE8WhUSA[/youtube]
  10. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm feeling it too. The anticipation is definitely building ...
  11. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I saw a lot of Gilmore at South Carolina. IMO, he is a very good CB, but he is not a star CB, which is what picking him at pick #14 would suggest. I would give him a late 1st-early 2nd round grade.
  12. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for that, JJ. I'd initially thought of SG as a late 1st - early 2nd Round pick, before Mike Mayock got all excited about him. Got me excited.

Always love to hear from fans who have actually seen/followed the draft prospects being discussed. I take their/your opinions to heart. ;)
  13. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Gilmore can be an elite CB in the NFL, but I do think it will be 2-3 seasons before he gets there. He has the physical tools and flashes that ability, but he also does some things that make you scratch your head. He blows some assignments and will do so in critical times. He gambles and can get burned.

Whomever takes him just has to realize he will need some time. I look at him like I do Poe. Both are somewhat raw, but their physical skills are hard to find, so you have to pay to get them and hope you can develop them.
  14. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,747 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    this is what i think also. If he has to guard someone like victor cruz or julio jones (as in video below) he seem to struggle. But i do like that he is physical. He just needs to wrap up alittle more.

[youtube]-DkEmOdf4Ks[/youtube]

lets hope if we draft him he improved a lot from this game.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    This is exactly what I commented on in another thread on Gilmore. Thank you for posting this vid. Gilmore plays 3/4 technique way too much IMO and, he positions himself directly across from the WR. which is automatic for the WR on the out route. You can't flip your hips quickly enough to kill that route and it leaves you in a position where you struggle to get to the sideline and you lose sight of the WR. He needs to get away from this and play head up on the WR. Most of why he gets burned is because of this horrible technique. I don't understand for the life of me why SC allows him to do this. That can be correct and it will help him out a great deal in coverage IMO.
  16. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,413 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    From that video he looks more suited to and like he would be more comfortable in a zone scheme--where he doesn't have to turn and run.

The few good plays he made came in the zone.