1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT:Gabe Carimi says he’s the best tackle in the draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Gabe Carimi says he’s the best tackle in the draft
    [IMG]
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/24/gabe-carimi-says-hes-the-best-tackle-in-the-draft/
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 24, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
    Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi enters the Scouting Combine coming off an impressive Senior Bowl and decorated college career. Joe Thomas’ successor for the Badgers, Carimi started 49 games in Madison, was twice a first-team all-conference pick, and earned Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year and Outland Trophy honors in 2010.

Carimi has earned the right to be confident.
    And he is.

“I’m completely confident in my game,” Carimi said at the Combine Thursday, according to Comcast SportsNet New England’s Tom Curran. “I really don’t have any problems. … I know I’m the best tackle out there and I just have to play like it and act like it.”
  2. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is my favorite guy in this years draft...in the long run I have a feeling he will be the best pro. I'd love to trade down and get him in the late teens.
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's not going to be better than Smith or Sherrod at LT, imo. I'd take Smith and Sherrod and Costonzo and Solder at LT over him.

I want an athletic, strong player. Solder has bigger upside at LT, too. Costonzo is a better LT but needs to add strength.

If the Colts have a chance to draft Sherrod or Carimi, they will take Sherrod, I bet.
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Tyron Smith at RT over Carimi, too.
  5. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    you forgot Sam Young :D
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Carimi upside isn't half of what Tyron Smith's is.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,737 Messages
    2,407 Likes Received
    Yeah, I agree with this. Smith is barely out of puberty.
  8. Portland Fanatic

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think when you look purely at the phyisical ability Smith looks great and I would not argue he is a better prospect then Carimi, but mentally Carimi has what it takes and being a lineman you need that crazy mentality that he has...I love it. I would plug him in at RT tackle and not look back.

Smith may test off the charts, but Carimi has all the tools he needs and is a bit crazy and does not back down to a challenge. I just like the guy and he is my pet cat in this draft.
  9. polinskijr

polinskijr Member

43 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith has POTENTIAL to be a LT; Free is already a good one. We all have to come together and realize which pick would be the best RT. In my opinion, hands down, this is Tyron Smith. I think I'm getting more and more comfortable with taking him at #9 . . . . .just sayin
  10. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have no doubts that Tyron can handle the job. People try to compare him with Bruce Campbell and the like, but they are not alike at all. (except the way they are built) Bruce was lazy and people questioned him and his work ethic. They don't do that about Smith. They only thing said he was coming out too early because of his weight. Well, the wieght (size wise) isn't an issue now at 307lbs. The only question I have is can he keep it on being only 20? Considering he will be a RT this season, it's not a question at all for me. You take this kid if he is there at #9.

People keep whining abit *****ing about not moving Free etc or whatever. It's a stupid and EXTREMELY lame argument. Free is your LT today, if you get Smith and he ends up better than Free, then Smith becomes your LT and you would be an absolute moron to dispute it.

Players earn their position and they can damn well lose it if someone is playing better than them. Including Free, Ware, Witten, Romo. It doesn't matter. This is a game of winning and losing and you put your best people on the field to win the game.
  11. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Moose said it best during his interview. Playing OL in the NFL is an ATTITUDE. Yes, skills are involved but you want a guy with nasty mentality of "I am going to beat you to a pulp" ala Erik Williams.

I like blue collar guys like Carimi rather than "finesse" guys like Smith playing the OL.
  12. Portland Fanatic

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not one that cares if Free plays LT or RT...I do know that he has proven he can play both, and play both well. I don't care if Smith plays LT or RT either...put them where they are best and go with it.

I'm not knocking Smith, but I am saying we get caught up in the 40 times and the chiseled look when they are on display and forget about them being a football player that knocks others on their Butt...that's what Carimi will do. He is a meat and potatoes guy that will come to play at a high level everyday.

For me Carimi has the tools and attitude that I love. I would not be upset at all if we took Smith, I just think Carimi is a straight up football player.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Smith is a finesse player? How did you come to that conclusion? Just curious.
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would take Carimi too. Hell, if some how he gets into the second round, or the Cowboys can trade up (if it's worth it) I would take him too.
  15. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Smith who? I think you mean Solder, not Tyron Smith.
  16. Portland Fanatic

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is exactly what I'm trying to say as well. You can have all the skills in the world, but without attitude it means nothing. I'm not saying Smith does not have attitude, but we do know that Carimi certainly DOES.