1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT; Justin Tuck: "I think we got spoiled"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 4, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Justin Tuck: "I think we got spoiled"
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 4, 2010 10:58 AM ET
    Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said New York's 5-0 start last season was the beginning of the end because the team grew overconfident.

"We started 5-0 and we kind of looked at ourselves like, 'Here we go again. We're going to make the playoffs and blah, blah, blah.' And then we got hit in our face and we couldn't respond," Tuck told Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger. "So it's a good thing. I'm actually happy all of that happened last year because now we have to start from square one."

We'd argue that a ridiculously easy early schedule contributed to a poor evaluation of the Giants by the media and the team. Tuck thinks the team plays better after a kick in the butt. That's what his defensive end teammates got on draft day.

"You have two Pro Bowl defensive ends and you draft a guy 15, that's a good thing. Sometimes a fire needs to be lit," Tuck said. "Sometimes you can get complacent in being the No. 1 guy and knowing you're going to be the No. 1 guy. That's cool with me. I like friendly competition."

Tuck is taking the signing of Jason Pierre-Paul well, even if we suspect the first-round pick was brought in to ultimately displace Osi Umenyiora, not Tuck.
  2. punit328

punit328 Active Member

689 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I despise the Giants more then the Eagles and Redskins combined!
  3. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,572 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    No, they just got exposed.

They went on a great run in 07 and won a lot of games on the road and forgot that they were a team that needed to play great defense and not make any mistakes to win. They relied on other teams to make costly errors.

Once the blueprint got laid on how to beat them, and teams figured out that Eli and Jacobs are very average at their position. They got exposed.

They will be an 8-8, 9-7 team as long as Eli is their QB.
  4. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    They got lucky.

THEN they got exposed.
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,941 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    They sure beat us twice.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Thats who they are, they are terrible as lead dogs and very good as under dogs.

I suspect the giants bounce right back they have a ton of talent.
  7. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,711 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I'll drink to that ......:beer2:
  8. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,573 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Correct. But if you look at the 1st game against them last year, they got every lucky bounce in the book. As bad as the Cowboys played they would have still won the game if not for the lucky breaks.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I have never seen another game like that in my life.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,618 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    Yeah they pretty much got to 5-0 by way of an easy schedule and Eli. Eli was pretty good against us last year, especially in the first meeting. We could have won that game if we had have taken care of the ball better, but that loss turned out to be a blessing in disguise-- moving Romo to be better, and thus the rest of the team.

The Giants never really looked that great to me at any point last season, so I'd have to agree that they got exposed. Compile all the injuries they had and it's easy to see why they failed.

I don't have much sympathy for them, but it's remarkable how much their '09 season was like ours in '08. That's why I won't count them out for too long. They'll be a tough team again this year.
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,308 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Ton of talent? Not really.
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Five dollar foot longs, Justin. Too many five dollar foot longs.
  13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,572 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Yeah and we beat them twice in 07, by 10 points both times. But they beat us in the playoffs and thats all that mattered.

Funny. We beat the defending Super Bowl champions 2 out of 3 years. And we barely lost to the Steelers in 08.
  14. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To borrow a quote from Tuck: "blah, blah, blah"!
  15. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

They have as many good players as we do. They are good at the important spots just like we are.

QB, Pass rushing End, Wr, Corner etc..

They seemingly have a deficiency at linebacker, middle linebacker mostly just like we seemingly have one at safety.

The one area I think they do have a question mark is there punter and what is their running game going to be? Is jacobs toast?

I think they are going to have a very good team. And just like a few years ago the thing that drives the the most is when people bag on them, they dont seem to be a bunch of self starters, they need a person to be mad at or to show up.

and now this year they have the perfect scenario, the team they hate the most is being picked to win the division, The cowboys. That might be all the motivation they need to rebound, that market and that group of players hates our guys and the perception of our team that much.

So um I have a different opinion on their talent.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,031 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Where they have fallen off is with the lines. Osi isn't the same player he used to be and absent their DC they aren't getting the same pressure. The OL has simply aged and now like ours, overrated.

They deserved to win in 07 because they had the best trenches in football but that wasn't the case last year at all.

Eli is not a top 10 QB so he isn't going to make up for a mediocre OL.
  17. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    well a ton is 2000lbs right? so if you add up a few players it is only about 6-8 guys to make 2000lbs. So maybe that is actually correct.

:lmao:
  18. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,736 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I have.

[IMG]
  19. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If it would please the court, I'd like to submit into evidence the 2009 NFC Championship. Every single thing seemed to go NO's way, and they still barely pulled it out.

You would think that the royal *** kicking they got against Carolina would have motivated them to play against Minnesota the following week. Their fans are still trying to forget those two games. You can pick the exact play in both games where the Giants just flat out quit on themselves. In Carolina, it was an early turnover. After that, they had nothing. Minnesota I think it was the second Viking TD.

The team should have just walked off the field because they were embarrassing to watch if you were a Giant's fan. On the other hand, I went out of my way to watch both game on NFL's site a few days after they were played. Too dang funny.

Someone, somewhere had a comparison of the injuries in 2007 compared to 2009. 2009 was a little worse, but not to the extent that their fans want you to believe.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,761 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Neither have I. Oh, wait, I didn't see that one either I only had to listen to the BS on the radio. I was at a concert with my sister that night so I didnt see the game.

I'm actually thankful I didnt cause after watching the highlights I was so pissed at all the stupid lucky plays they got.

Oh don't even show this picture. That blown no call still pisses me off to this day cause I know, I have zero doubt in my mind, that had they called that, giving us first and goal inside the 10, that we'd have scored to make the game 38-35 and that we'd have went on to win cause it would have gutted the Niners at that point.

I have no doubt, at all, that this particular blown no call absolutely kept us from digging ourselves out of that awful hole we put ourselves in that day.

Still pisses me off.