1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Leon Lett: Cowboys’ defensive line will play like I did

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Reality, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,511 Messages
    942 Likes Received
    “In a 3-4 you did more of a read-and-react. This is more of a react-on-the-run — rush the quarterback and then react to the run on the way to the quarterback,” Lett said, via the Star-Telegram. “Kind of the same thing I did as a football player, so I’m kind of used to it, and I’m looking forward to teaching it and coaching it.”

Lett said the Cowboys’ defensive linemen are going to make more plays this season, and they’re excited about that.

“The 4-3 is more about a penetrating, we-get-to-eat-first type of deal. That’s what we’re calling it. We’re at the front of the food chain,” Lett said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-cowboys-defensive-line-will-play-like-i-did/
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    People critize Jerry for a lot of things, but I for one am glad the he has continued to support a guy like Leon Lett, who probably didn't deserve it, but did it because it felt right
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    :confused:

Why?
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    repeated drug use? a lot of people here even would've declared him a lost cause, and wouldn't have been bad people to do that.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    I bet not many days go by that Leon does not think about what he lost by being unable to stay off the junk.

If he had kept himself straight and just concentrated on football I believe he would be in the HOF or a contender like Haley.
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,332 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    I'll believe it when I see it
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,051 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    I don't tknow if that's such a great thing.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,851 Messages
    5,420 Likes Received
    I agree.

They may play the same style he played, but they won't play like him. He was a beast.
  9. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

986 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Leon served his sentence. He moved on, why some people can't I will never know.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,280 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    Rough crowd tonight.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I like the sound of this....
  12. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I want them playing more like Ware does.
  13. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In other posts you'll see me refer to hte 3-4 as a gimmick defense.

Although some have criticised me for this - that's fine, I can take it - it'strue.

Any defense that is passive in its reads - like Coach Lett said, the 3-4 is a read-and-react defense -- and furhter relies on trickery to hide a potenaial blitzing LBer is a gimmick.

I've always been a 3-4 guy. Attach the QB with your front line before anything else. If it's a pass it's your line against the QB. If it's a run then the line can slow the play down and let the LBs clean it up.
  14. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Enjoyed the article
  15. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Well 2 gimmick defenses were in the superbowl. Not to mention half the playoff teams run a gimmick defense.
  16. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'll take Leon Lett's level of play. Easy to forget, but he was as good a DT as there was playing in the NFL for a few years.

I've always felt he was our defensive MVP over that 4 year SB run. He certainly had the most significant/impactful defensive play of that time.

100% confident we were winning SB XXVIII. But going into the 2nd half down 13-7, I was slightly concerned.
    When the Bills took the 2nd half KO and picked right up where they left off moving the ball for looked like what would be a 2 score lead, I was starting to sweat a little.

Then Lett splits a double team and punches the ball out of Thomas' hands on a draw play, Washington scoops it up for a return TD and the rest is history. It was a back breaker for the Bills and they caved.

It was an outstanding individual effort on Lett's part and it's impact is right up there with the slant to Harper the year before in SF.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,502 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Wow. :laugh2:

On another note, watched Leon's interview on DC.com and did a good job. He's come a long, long way from the guy who was so shy he would literally run from the media back in the day. Good for him.