1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: LSU’s Brockers generates buzz at Combine weigh-in

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 25, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/lsus-brockers-generates-buzz-at-combine-weigh-in/
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 25, 2012, 11:42 AM EST
    APLSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers‘ college career was lacking in production, but he’s got the physical-build part down. During Saturday’s Combine weigh-in for defensive linemen, Brockers measured in at 6-foot-5 and 322 pounds with 35-inch arms, according to NFL.com’s Marc Sessler.

Per Sessler, Brockers’ weigh-in “caused a stir.” His wingspan is a mammoth 83 7/8 inches.

Brockers declared for the draft as a redshirt sophomore after starting only 15 games in Baton Rouge. He collected 11 career tackles for loss, two sacks, and two forced fumbles and was a second-team All-SEC selection in 2011.
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,917 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    Oh, he's a 'hoss.' Now, I'm awaiting for the measureables beyond size...
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The has a great physical skill set , if only he had the history of using these skills on the field to create production .
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    :laugh1: What a wingspan
  5. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,899 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    It's too bad his production doesn't match his physical nature. He is still young though.
  6. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Stay away. No production and looking for his $$$.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,590 Messages
    1,558 Likes Received
    always be wary of those that win Underwear Gold Medals but do not produce in games
  8. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Those that are saying to stay away because he is raw and has never really produced at a high level and is only a physical freak, I have three words for you: Jason Pierre Paul.
  9. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The "lack" of production doesn't worry me. It took him a while to get his opportunity. LSU has the best D-Line in the country every single year. The few looks I got of him, he looked impressive.
  10. texbumthelife

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Jason Pierre Paul had ridiculous production in the limited amount of time he played. He just didn't have much experience.

Brockers has neither the production or the experience. Nor does he have the out of this world athleticism.

*edit: He amassed 49 tackles, 14 sacks, 19 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles, one interception and one fumble recovery as a freshman at College of the Canyons (California) and earned First-team All-WSC and All-America honors.In 2008 Pierre-Paul played at Fort Scott Community College (Kansas), where his 70 tackles, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries earned him First-Team little All-American honors.

He transferred to the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. In 2009, he played thirteen games for the Bulls with seven starts and totaled 45 tackles (16½ for losses), 6½ sacks, one interception (returned 18 yards for a touchdown), broke up three passes, and forced two fumbles.

--taken from Wikipedia

Yeah, the kid put up insane numbers. Completely different situation.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    JPP had more than two sacks in his last year of college .
  12. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Look, I'm not saying he is a mirror image of JPP.

What I am saying is that raw physical talent is enough to roll the dice on if it is special. Brockers has that elite physicality.

JPP was not drafted where he was based on his production. He was drafted as a raw kid with elite physicality. And he is still learning and developing.

Drafting Brockers under the same circumstances is a dice roll, but one that could pay enormous dividends.
  13. texbumthelife

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    The only player I would "roll the dice on" in such a way this year is Coples. I would take a second round waiver on Burfict if we filled a need in the first.
  14. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,604 Messages
    291 Likes Received
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Coples has rumors of motor problems , but I agree with you 100% . Some of those problems could have been due to position change . He is by far the less risk .
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,590 Messages
    1,558 Likes Received
    it is frankly dumb to waste a high pick on someone who never showed much in real games. With all the talent on that team, he was never doubled or really worried about by the opposing Offense. So his lack of production stands out
  17. texbumthelife

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    I just look at all these "elite" defensive line prospects that have come out of LSU (Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Marcus Spears) and none of them have lived up to a first round selection.
  18. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think LSU and the mad hatter is a joke. worst coaching job in college football, he just recruits great talent and lives off that. he teaches them nothing while there. I think these guys from LSU have a way harder learning curve than most guys because of that and have to learn technique and playbooks NFL instead of coloring books while at LSU
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,391 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    I dont think this guys is near the athlete JPP is. JPP reminds me of a better Jevon Kearse. I am thinking Brockers may be more in the Buck Buchanon mold.
  20. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    If by unproductive you mean being the anchor of a top 2 defense in the nation this season, then yea he was very unproductive. Those Ends at LSU racked up a ton of sacks this season because of this guy in the middle commanding all the attention. Some are getting way too caught up in his sack totals, this guy is a beast and is only at the tip of the iceberg of reaching his potential.