1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: LSU’s Brockers generates buzz at Combine weigh-in

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Upshaw is to Spencer as Brockers is to Spears.

Pass
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Eh...LSU interior DLinemen. Marcus Spears, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson...

They do their job but aren't impact makers. We need an impact maker if we're drafting defense in the 1st round.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,240 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    ROFL. No one is comparing Brockers' play to the Ngata of today.

Ngata was a massive run stuffer coming out of Oregon that also happened to be a good natural athlete. Brockers has that going for him.

He only had one starting season for LSU but 47 tackles, 9.5 for loss and 2 sacks is very like the numbers Ngata has at Oregon where he graduated with something like 6.5 sacks.

Brockers was a high school stud DE with double digit sacks a couple years in a row.

Brockers is the very rare athlete that naturally weighs over 300 pounds. He is a 21 year old kid who will definitely get better. If he stayed another year and did put up solid stats he'd never make it out of the top 5.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I'm glad to know that you are as impressed as I am . Spears did have a better pass rush in college though .
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Spears was twice the prospect Brockers is and I was not much impressed with him either or at least not as much as some teams were. He got close to going in the top 15 several times that year and if Parcells would have had his way he would of.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I didn't bring Ngata up . As I have said , I am willing to bet that I have watched as many LSU games as anyone this year . There have been many college players that were better than Brockers , go on to an average NFL career . He is not a player that takes over games at the LOS . He has not developed a pass rush . He is a gamble on physical potential , and he came out in a weak DL draft . He would not be so highly rated in another draft class . I'm with SDogo , Spears was a better prospect .
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,240 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    Spears was a better college player to be sure. He started 38 games compared to 13 for Brockers.

But prospect? Probably not. Spears ran over 5 seconds in his 40 and did a horrid 15 reps at 225. In fact if you look at the DE list from 2005, Ware was first in about every drill while Spears was last.
    Brockers is a lean 322 pounds with ridiculous wingspan which is why he is drawing oohs and ahhs from scouts.

Rule 1: You can't teach size.

I am not advocating this pick for the Cowboys but do think fans deliriously under-rate Brockers.
  8. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Spears was a better player in college coming out, but he also had 2 more years of experience at LSU. And he doesn't come close to the measurables or upside Brockers is bringing to the table.

That's the tough part of the draft, teams have to do a lot of projecting. If it was based just on how good these guys were in the college game then Timmy Chang should have been a top 5 pick.

Unfortunately we're not gonna have a shot at him anyway, I was hoping he'd somehow slide to us when he first declared but after his weigh-in he locked himself up to be a top 10, maybe top 5 pick.