1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: NFL fines Golden Tate $21,000 for block on Sean Lee

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by wittenacious, Sep 19, 2012.

1. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 19, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT

When Seahawks receiver Golden Tatejacked up Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee with a brutal block on Sunday, he wasn’t flagged. But the league office has decided that was an oversight by the replacement officials.

The NFL fined Tate $21,000 for the block, according to Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com. The league office says the block was illegal because Tate launched himself into Lee, striking him in the chest and chin with the crown of his helmet. Tate said after the game that he didn’t think — but didn’t know for sure — that the block was illegal.

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/19/nfl-fines-golden-tate-21000-for-block-on-sean-lee/
  2. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I knew it!! I was disgusted with how hard the poor little WR had to hit that big mean LB. I applaud the NFL for doing whats right
  3. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

232 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Tate hit Lee square in the upper chest (a legal hit). The impact of Lee's head moving forward rested on the crown of Tate's Helment. This league is becoming too scary.:bang2:
  4. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,523 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I would have rather Dallas handle it on the field.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I've never felt so good about being wrong
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Aww, this is how you act when you're made a fool of?
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He made a fool of himself in the original thread. No matter how many times he was proven wrong, he just kept going. It was like watching a train wreck over and over again.
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,985 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    The hit was brutal but I didn't see it as illegal. However, I would fine Tate for acting like a complete butt-plug afterwards.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received

If you watch the tape in slow mo, you will see that Tate lowers his head prior to making impact. Now, lets say he was trying to aim for the chest and the block just road up. You don't lower your head to do that. You tilt your head back to make impact with your face mask. That is how every kid is taught to tackle from Pop Ball on up. It was not a legal hit.
  10. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,037 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Came here to see IAMQUEEN's continued delusional denial. Was not disappointed.
  11. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From the linked PFT blog:

For his part, Lee has said he thinks hits like Tate’s are part of football. But he also seemed to be annoyed by the way Tate got up and started celebrating afterward.

“Crackback hits, that’s not a definition of toughness,” Lee said. “A definition of toughness is hitting, squaring up, being able to do your job as hard as you can every single play. That’s at least what I believe. Anybody can crackback block.”
  12. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
  13. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: . $1K was for the illegal block. $20k was for acts of b-pluggery, akin to d-baggery.

The NFL league office just couldn't come out and say that. :D
  14. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

232 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Tate is 4 inches shorter and 40lbs underweight compared to Lee. Do you expect a bearhug tackle by a player that undersized to stop a linebacker? I've seen the slow motion video many times and I see a receiver leading with his left shoulder, NOT HIS HELMET. Ever hear of inertia? When the body is stopped the head will move forward which is why you see the helmet to helmet contact. No player ever tilts their head back on a hit..Nobody!
  15. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,799 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I didnt think it was illegal but guess so
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is why this board is a laugh riot sometimes.

The guys in the booth said it was illegal.
    Mike Piera said it was illegal.
    Most people on this board who understands the game said it was illegal.
    And now the NFL itself has confirmed it as being illegal.

AND YET, we still have people on this forum saying it wasn't illegal.

Here's the thing. You can argue opinion. But you can't argue facts. It is what it is.

Water is wet and that hit was illegal.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,463 Messages
    2,806 Likes Received
    But, but, but....
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,323 Messages
    1,176 Likes Received
    I bow to your wisdom! :bow:
  19. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agree 100 percent. This board is a great place to discuss Cowboys football, but this board at times say some of most ridiculous and senseless things. This is one of those times clearly.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Pretty obvious illegal spearing with the crown of the helmet. I don't see how anyone would possibly argue otherwise.

On a side note, there is nothing more overrated that the blindside earhole on a player who doesn't see it coming. I don't know why this would rile anyone up. There's absolutely nothing "hardnosed" about it. There's a hundred more instances of "hardnosed" football in the course of a game. Anytime two football players knowingly and conscientiously square off on each other and one imposes his will on the other it's hardnose. A linebacker taking on leading fullback head on and stacking and shedding him is hardnosed. A RB meeting a blitzing LB in pass protection and stalemating him in his hard nosed. A 5 tech defensive end standing facemask to facemask with an offensive tackle and pushing him into the pocket is hardnosed. A midget WR blindsiding a defender who doesn't see him coming is the football equivalent of a sucker punch, and to dance around and celebrate after a sucker punch is embarrassing.