1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Team-by-team cap space, as of March 11

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Note, im no cap expert, but I guess with this report, the cowboys havent rolled over their money from last year yet, maybe our cap guru :bow: Adam can give light on this report:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-11/related/
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
    [Editor's note: The following list shows the cap space for each team, as of Sunday, March 11. Transactions occurring after 4:00 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9 are not reflected. For example, the Vikings will have more space as of Monday, due to the termination of the contracts of several players. Also, the Jets will have more cap space, given the extension of Mark Sanchez's contract.]

Bengals: $49.9 million under.
    Broncos: $44.7 million under.
    Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
    Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
    Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
    Redskins: $31.1 million under.
    Bills: $30.8 million under.
    Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
    Titans: $28.1 million under.

Cowboys: $4.7 million under.
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    ProFootballTalk‏@ProFootballTalkReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    ยท Open

The cap space figures we posted are based on the base cap of $120.6 plus any carryover, adjustments, franchise tenders, RFA tenders.
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,525 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    Wait we're only 4 million under ????
  4. Smashin222

Smashin222 Member

554 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    my bet is it assumes franchise tender + restricted tender to Fiammetta but i could be wrong
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,486 Likes Received
    This has to be incorrect.

Either that or they're basically still counting everyone that is yet to be released.
  6. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    It is correct, but we haven't made any moves to save cap room yet. We can add $17 million more cap room with just a few simple moves, and even more than that if we really need it.
  7. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,401 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Does Tampa have to spend their money this year?

Do the Glazers need to put resources into Manchester United?

Note: I saw Adam's post about not having to spend cap money in 2012.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,609 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Just seems like teams like the Bungals, Ponies, or Bucs (they can create more space also) could really give some of these available FAs a huge amount of money if they wanted to since rookie contracts have gone down so much and might make us not be able to afford them with the cap.

I'm really starting to think that some of these contracts to FAs over this year and the next few years will be extremely huge and we will have to adjust to how things have changed since the new CBA......am I wrong in this theory?
  9. AdamJT13

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    We can afford market value, even if that means making a guy the highest-paid player at his position. If some team wants to pay a player significantly more than that, I say we let them. Spending money unwisely just because you have it to spend usually doesn't work out well in the end.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,609 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah I just noticed you addressing this in another thread over on the fan zone. I just wonder if that market value will increase significantly cause of the new rules now.

I could see how the highest-paid player at his position would increase dramatically cause of the new rules. Although I would rather them get it than some rookie who hasn't proved anything, it does seem to affect us right now.
  11. AdamJT13

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    The cap went up less than 0.2 percent, and the "new rules" don't apply to this season, so they won't really affect how this year's cap money is spent.

If anything, teams that are worried about the 2013-2016 cash minimum will backload contracts instead of frontloading them, which means that the huge cap charges would come in future seasons, not this year.
  12. Deep_Freeze

6,609 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Ok cool, I don't know as much about it as you do obviously, was just on my mind. I do worry about those teams backloading more cause they know they have to spend it anyway for the cash minimum.

Would you think this would affect any signings this year with Mario and others, being that these teams know they have to spend it anyway next year and can just backload it on the major FAs??
  13. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    420 Likes Received
    Remember a lot of the teams that have a lot of cap room are the same teams that are way under the cap year after year. Like the Bungals and the Bucs. I wouldn't assume a spending spree for either of those teams, nor the Chiefs.