1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Team ESPN adds Antonio Pierce as analyst...Wingo blows air horn at him...lol

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 8, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Team ESPN adds a middle linebacker

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2010 10:00 AM ET

Like Travis Henry's heirs, the folks at ESPN continue to have enough former NFL players to field a football team of their own.

And they've added a new middle linebacker.

Former Giants standout Antonio Pierce, who a year ago at this time was sweating out a possible indictment for taking possession of the gun with which Plaxico Burress blew a hole (actually, two) through his leg and transporting it from New York back to New Jersey, has joined ESPN as an NFL analyst.

Pierce will appear on NFL Live, SportsCenter, ESPNEWS, and 1050 ESPN New York, and he'll provide weekly analysis on ESPNNewYork.com.

Currently, the lineup of former NFL players on ESPN includes Pierce, Eric Allen, Lomas Brown, Tedy Bruschi, Cris Carter, Trent Dilfer, Mike Ditka, Herm Edwards, Mike Golic, Tim Hasselbeck, Merril Hoge, Qadry Ismail, Tom Jackson, Ron Jaworski, Keyshawn Johnson, Matt Millen, Mark Schlereth, Kordell Stewart, Marcellus Wiley, Darren Woodson, and Steve Young.

That's 21. One short of an all-22 arrangement. And Jon Gruden can serve as the coach.

Of course, the number won't stay at 21. Freshly-retired players have a certain sizzle. With each new former player who gets a job, a guy whose football career has faded into the rear-view mirror will be on the chopping block.

Indeed, ESPN quietly has shed in the past year James Hasty and Shaun King.

We'll close with an observation we made last year, when Tedy Bruschi opted for Bristol: "Frankly, it's hard not to wonder whether ESPN's goal is quantity not quality. If nothing else, the fact that so many former players and coaches have gotten jobs at ESPN might cause the many other players and coaches who believe broadcasting to be the ideal 'money for nothing' career path after the NFL is finished with them to never criticize ESPN, for fear of blowing their shot to work there."

The army of analysts also prevents any one of them from ever building up the kind of profile that would give them real leverage when the time comes to work out a new contract. And it likely has enabled ESPN to hold firm in the face of whatever exorbitant salary demand someone like, say, Kurt Warner has made.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    It's a perfect fit................:rolleyes::cool:
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    oh god.

I never watch there nfl programming anymore, its terrible.

But for those who do, This guy will be the king of bad mouthing the cowboys and tony romo. He has never said a good word about any of our players and hates our team.

So that should be fun.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,567 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Another east coast analyst that despises the Cowboys. Great. I wish they'd stop bringing in ex-players period.
  5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Just one more reason to hate ESPN.
  6. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,468 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Del Kupper - Year round hate........
  7. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Just think, there are NINE former NFC East guys in that group.

5 Former Eagles (Jaws, Allen, Golic, Carter, Edwards)
    2 Former Giants (Pierce, Brown)
    1 Former Redskin (Schlereth)
    1 Former Cowboy (Woodson)
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,904 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    The last few years I been watching less and less of the pregame shows. This is just another reason why to watch less.

I will watch the local Cowboys shows. But when they go off, then I would do more channel surfing on the other shows, it was too much of a waste of time.

I will have FOX on mostly, but always have other things to do while it's on.
  9. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,225 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    I don't think the quiet dismissals have anything to do with the fact that their careers fade into the rearview mirror, and more to do with the fact that they would rather keep the commentators that make more brash statements. To ESPN, an analyst that tells it straight and unbiased is boring.

That's the only reason they keep players like Chris Carter and Keyshawn and get rid of Shaun King, who actually was a pretty good analyst.
  10. CowboyMike

5,225 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    One could include Keyshawn, Marcellus Wiley, and Ditka in there as former Cowboys.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    One shouldn't include this *** clown.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    He might end up doing okay. Let's not all put the cart before the horse. Michael Strahan ended up making the transition very well (he was much more of a class act, I got it.)
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    But we kind of saw Strahan talk before he retired, and he always came off gregarious (which is good for TV) as opposed to buttholish.

Brandon Pierce is just an *******. And since he's a former MLB, they are going to most likely ask him to be antagonistic.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Oh I know that's why I added in the part about Strahan being a class act. His job application probably looked like this:

[IMG]
  16. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,707 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    AP is a straight up JERK.. Can't stand the guy..
  17. CowboyMike

5,225 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    To his credit, he has said that he owes Jerry everything and that he owes him his contract back. He's said that Jerry took care of him and didn't do a damn thing in return. He gives the Cowboys credit where it is due, as well. I like Wiley now a whole lot more than when he was with us.
  18. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Howard Cosell spoke out about the practice of hiring ex players. Called it the "jock-ocracy" or something to that effect. He thought it brought the level of broadcasting down as it prevented better, more qualified people from ever getting the job.

I can't disagree, but if hiring one more ex-player keeps the next Ed Werder unemployed I have no problem with it.
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Wingo gives Pierce a taste of his own air horn medicine

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 8, 2010 5:11 PM ET

With the news today that ESPN had hired former Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce as an NFL Live analyst, we wondered whether NFL Live host Trey Wingo would interrupt Pierce with an air horn, the way Pierce once did to a reporter in the Giants locker room.

We're pleased to report that Wingo did just that.

On today's NFL Live, Wingo formally introduced Pierce as the newest ESPN commentator and then asked him whether he's fully prepared to be a member of the media and not a member of the fraternity of NFL players. Then, as Pierce began to answer, Wingo blew an air horn.

"Come on, come on," said Pierce, who at first appeared to be caught off guard but then laughed it off. "That's old."

NFL Live then showed the clip from September 20, 2007, when Reischea Canidate (who then worked at Channel 5 in New York but now also works at ESPN) attempted to question Pierce about the Giants' defense, only to be interrupted by Pierce blowing an air horn three times.

It's nice to see that Wingo followed our suggestion. And we hope Pierce was only kidding when he told Wingo at the end of the segment, "I'm gonna get you back for that one."
  20. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,658 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Pierce is a no good piece of scum.

I hope is not employed by ESPN very long.