1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Uncapped year could be coming back to haunt some teams (Cowboys Mentioned)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 12, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    So, are the cowboys in trouble? Maybe our cap guru can shed light on this?

And there’s currently a rumor making the rounds that multiple teams will be smacked for doing just that: using 2010 as a cap dump aimed at either keeping the numbers manageable in 2009 and previously, or in 2011 and subsequently.

It widely was believed in 2010 that the Cowboys and Redskins had worked the system to take full advantage of the absence of a cap. Dallas, for example, gave receiver Miles Austin a base salary of $17 million in 2010.

Though not as troubling as the Saints’ bounty program, we’re hearing that punishment of some sort could be coming for the teams deemed to have disregarded the directive.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    So basically what they are saying is that some teams could be penalized for not following "suggestive" rules........BS
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Thats what i thought, but you never know with goodell, if he wants to make an example of you.
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Goodells way of diverting attention away from bountygate...he'll give them a little slap on the wrist
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    At the time it was within the rules.

I don't see this as anymore than speculative at this point.

Same as my take on it.
  6. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I hope all of the teams that are being penalized for doing something that was not illegal would file a class suit against Mr Commish. If they were not to use the uncapped year for doing exactly what they did then why was there an uncapped year?

The Commish is not God but if he were the dictator of some country we would probably be at war. All who have the emperor syndrome loves to punish the guilty then when he runs out of guilty people, start on the innocent. The Commish might not have liked what was done but then why didn't he get the owners to place paramenters on it?

Rather than break laws why not just change the laws. It seems the Com himself is breaking the rules.
  7. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.
  8. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...s-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

Dallas and Washington can split the cap loss over the 2012 and '13 seasons in whatever form they prefer, with $1.6 million each going to 28 other NFL teams, the sources said.
  9. faninjersey

faninjersey Member

63 Messages
    9 Likes Received

I agree. If the rules allowed for it, then it should be a non-starter. Other teams complaining isn't a good enough reason for punishment. Additionally, if the commish would have settled the labor negotiations earlier, then there would have never been an uncapped year. Absolute nonsense. He's trying to rule by sentiment, and outcry, and not by justice.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,372 Likes Received
    What is this? I am at work so I've not been able to follow this on the news. So now we're getting cap money taken away from us because we used the uncapped year for exactly what you should use an uncapped year for?
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What the hell?

I was wondering about something about the cap earlier but didn't post it, now I'm really wondering.

Weren't there like 2 or 3 teams who dumped guys at the end of 2010 and it essentially erased their cap numbers from 2011?

What about those teams?
  12. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    yep, pretty much
  13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    Yes and they are being punished for not being in collusion with the rest of them. Which is suppose to be illegal.