1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Vince Young will meet with Roger Goodell soon, but suspension is unlikely! Hmm!

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 28, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Vince Young will meet with Roger Goodell soon, but suspension is unlikely
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2010 11:07 PM ET
    Amid strong indications that Vince Young's prayers could be answered via the avoidance of a suspension, Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that Young soon will meet with Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Specifically, Goodell said at the annual Rookie Symposium in L.A. that the meeting will occur "sometime in next few weeks."

Young faces misdemeanor assault charges arising from an incident earlier this month at a Dallas strip club. But the precedent for a first-offense misdemeanor assault currently stands at no suspension, given the experiences of linebacker Joey Porter and receiver Braylon Edwards, who reportedly won't be suspended in the wake of a 2009 assault allegation to which he pleaded no contest.

The league office fined Porter the amount of a game check, and our guess is that Edwards -- and Young -- will face the same sanction, unless Goodell decides to hold quarterbacks to a higher standard.

Though he said, per Marvez, that a suspension of Young is unlikely, Goodell explained that each case stands on its own.

"I think you have to look at these cases individually and understand them in a way of what are the issues going on with any individual," Goodell said. "The intent of the [Personal Conduct Policy] is to intervene so you help some individuals make a better decision and avoid these troubles. So when I sit down and look at all the facts around Vince or any other player, you want to make sure they understand that and what the policy was designed to do and more importantly understand the responsibility [of being an NFL player]."

In Young's case, it won't take long to look at the facts, because the facts appear in one of the highest-quality surveillance videos we've ever seen.
  2. jzcowboy

jzcowboy Active Member

962 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Let him play! He can throw a 2 yard pass into the ground like no other!
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    His case is a first time offense for someone that's had a good record, so a suspension shouldn't be likely.

I think he will do decent for the Titans this year too.
  4. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know how he could get suspended for this. This is mild stuff.

[youtube]ngEueaBe2uk[/youtube]
  5. dropshot001

dropshot001 New Member

77 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i think if that video had provided a better angle on things the punishment might be different. the video has a terrible angle on the event and doesn't really provide a lot of insight into what happened.
  6. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    wth? the video shows an altercation, VY goes after the guy and other people keep punches from being thrown. The video shows exactly what happened. The only other insight you could have would be audio.
  7. dropshot001

dropshot001 New Member

77 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i watched the video again and yes, it shows an altercation, but it doesn't show if any punches were landed and to what degree. without that basically it's a pushing/shoving match which in the grand scheme of things isn't much.
  8. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a big deal.

Mostly the folks that are not fans of UT or Vince Young will make a big fuss about it.