1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFT: Who wore No. 8 better, Young or Aikman?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MarkP88

MarkP88 Active Member

106 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I'm totally biased, of course, but to me it's Troy no question. Put him on those Niner teams in that WC offense, and he'd have put up the same or better numbers as Young. And of course, I'd trust Troy with the game on the line more so than Young. And here's a case where the whole question of "how many rings does he have" is valid -- it ain't like Young played on some half-baked team with no supporting cast and poor coaching. He had phenomenal talent around him, a great coaching staff, and an offense perfectly designed to fit his and his teammates' skills.

Young - genuinely great player.
    Troy - even better.
  2. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    Then why didn't they exactly? Not that you are old enough to have watched any of those games, but this kinda coulda, woulda stuff always amuses me.
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,542 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    By the gist of your responses I guessing you're not old enough to post in public. I can see why you're easily amused.

I betting I'm a wee bit older than you, because if you were old enough to have seen those teams live, you would not be questioning that statement. But carry on with the Romo lovefest because in the end, that's what this is all about, isn't it?
  4. Super_Kazuya

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    That's a long winded way of saying, "I got nothing." Just don't reply and save yourself the embarrassment in the future. I'm not offended when you don't reply.
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,542 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    We can agree on that...you got nothing.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,341 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    The answer is Troy. Hands down.

He is 2-1 against Steve head to head in NFC Championship Games.

Troy helped win 3 Superbowls to Young's one.

This isn't even close.
    Vanilla2 likes this.
  7. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

802 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Not old enough to really chime in here. But...

Steve Young has better stats. Aikman has the rings. Seems like everyone here is obviously picking Aikman...

OH WAIT! AREN'T STATS WHY ROMO IS BETTER THAN ELI AND BEN EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE RINGS??? :confused:
  8. ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap Member

72 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    People have to remember that the rules change when Cowboys players are being compared to other NFL players. Emmitt is disrespected because of his great O-line. Troy is disrespected because of Emmitt. Our #1 ranked defense back then was disrespected. Rings don't matter and numbers don't lie. Right Troy? Numbers lie and only rings matter. Right Tony? I am sure in the future, people will find other ways of disrespecting that team and those players.

Not that it matters. For those of us who watched that team grow and succeed, I will take those players, and those coaches and that team and go to war with them against any other team from any era.

Also, Young played in a candy *** division every year. Yet Troy quarterbacked more wins in a single decade than any other in history.
  9. Super_Kazuya

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    I suppose you will be explaining how Eli is better than Peyton next. Such football genius on display in this forum at times.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    Not really about this topic, but I've always been confused by how QBs are rated by some. Montana is the best ever because of 4 rings, but Bradshaw is never discussed that way. Troy isn't for 3, but Brady is for 3. Seems arbitrary to me, but interesting.
    Vanilla2 likes this.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    As the super Cowboy fan that you seem to see yourself, you should know the answer.
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,341 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    lol.

That isn't even the same type of comparison. Why would I try and compare Eli to the best QB I've ever seen?

It helps if you're not just being intentionally stupid for the sake of it to cause an argument. I understand that people like you wouldn't understand that. If you had any idea of my posting history you'd know that as a rule I put championships on teams, not just individuals, because that's how they're won. As teams.

When it's two players that are pretty close, as far as individual players go, then I go by how they individually played head to head in championship games (if they happened to play one another and in this particular case we have 3 championship games to go by).

Troy and Steve were both great players who were pretty close as far as individual players go.

You could go either way with either one for any reason.

So the tie breaker, for me, would be their head to head match ups in the most important games.

Aikman flat out played Young in 2 out of the 3 Championship games their teams played in. So, yeah, i'm giving it to Aikman based off of that.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    That never gets old. Never.
  14. Super_Kazuya

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    Even if attaching team success to one player wasn't extremely stupid (it is), the two players were not even remotely close. Young obliterates Troy in just about every comparison you can make. Literally the only individual common denominator they have is the Super Bowl MVP award they both own. After that it is a gigantic landslide for Young. That is not really a knock against Troy as much as to say there are only about 2 or 3 QBs in league history who can compare individually to Young. Troy is not one, and it's not even close.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I think it's pretty crazy to say that Troy wasn't even close to Young. Young played in a system that inflates QB rating -- we all know that. Plus I don't remember Young ever playing on the horrible teams that Troy started out with, except of course for a very short time in Tampa.
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    There is no "inflation" to account for a gigantic 15 point rating differential, but rating was just the start of the chasm between the two. So even if you throw out Young's NFL record 6 passing titles (Aikman had none), there's still:
    Young won 2 MVPs and finished second to Emmitt in '93; Aikman got 3 MVP votes his entire career
    Young made 6 All-Pro teams, 3 1st, 3 2nd (in an era where Elway, Aikman, Favre, Marino and Montana were active); Aikman made 0
    Young had 4200 rushing yards and 43 TDs; Aikman had 1000 and 9
    Young literally ran circles around Aikman in every passing stat, far too many to list here. It wasn't close.
  17. ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap Member

72 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Both Young and Aikman excelled in the systems they were asked to. Young's just happened to have a system that was passing oriented with a lot of YAC that helped his stats nicely. Aikman was asked to hand the ball off to Emmitt, especially during garbage time. SF repeatedly ran up the scores when the game was out of hand.They were both good. They met head to head more than once with the season on the line. Aikman performed better in those games.

I find it hard to believe that someone would doubt that Aikman could run that West Coast offense and benefit from all those YAC from Rice, Waters etc. Just as Young would surely benefit from that O-line and Emmitt.
  18. Chocolate Lab

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    So you're going almost all on stats and votes.

Have them switch teams. Let Young play on Jimmy and Norv and Emmitt's teams. Then let Troy play in Walsh's with the best WR ever, plus TO.

Still think Young's numbers blow Troy away?
  19. Super_Kazuya

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    You do know they ran the ball just as much as we did, don't you? And that Aikman started 20 more games and had 600 more attempts in his career than Young? There was plenty of opportunity for Aikman to out up better numbers, he just didn't. From 1991-1998 (when Young was a full time starter, and overlapping Aikman's best years nicely), the 49ers averaged 470 rushes for 2006 yards per season and the Cowboys 483 rushes for 1930 yards. Less than a carry per game difference.
    Hiding behind the system doesn't explain the MASSIVE gulf between the two. It's not even close.
  20. Chocolate Lab

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    So you didn't answer the question... Or did you? You think if they switched places their numbers would still be the same?