1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFW: Random Quotes From Around the League

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    They Said It

Aug. 6, 2004

Random quotes from around the league

Redskins RB Clinton Portis, joking that he was going to follow former Dolphins RB Ricky Williams into retirement: “My dog’s real sick. I need to spend more time with my dog.”

Steelers LB Joey Porter on accidentally knocking down head coach Bill Cowher during a drill in training camp: “He normally knows I’m coming when we do this drill, but for some reason he had his feet set. Once I saw him stumble, I was hoping he would catch himself, but once he fell, I just had to laugh it off.”

Buccaneers DE Simeon Rice, claiming that the reports that he was suffering from an irregular heartbeat made the condition sound much worse than it really was: “I went through a little shock treatment, and that was different for me. … I never had any foreign objects help stimulate my heart. When you have doctors telling you it’s a life-threatening situation, it’s a little weird for you. … My little sister called me, crying because ESPN blew it up. But it really was never, in my mind, a big deal.”

Browns QB Jeff Garcia’s advice to rookie TE Kellen Winslow, who is holding out of his first training camp in a contract dispute: “It’s important to get him here. It’s one of those things where you need to think about the team. You are going to get your riches no matter what, but you need to think about this team. This is a team game.”

Former Raiders WR Tim Brown, who was released last week, on how he envisions his future: “I have fought the battle as much as I possibly could and tried to restore the image as much as possible to the Raiders. This won’t be the end of Tim Brown. I’ll surface somewhere else, probably.”

Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil on soon-to-be-44-year-old PK Morten Andersen: “Morten Andersen’s part of this team chemistry, It’s great to have those seasoned veterans. When did he come into the league? In 1982? A lot of these kids weren’t even around. It think it adds depth of character to the football team — as long as he can still kick.”

New/old Redskins assistant coach Joe Bugel on how Joe Gibbs informed him that they were going to be returning to Washington this season: “He said, ‘Hey, we’re going back home.’ I jumped out of bed. My wife got real quiet. She said: ‘The expectations, that bar is real high in Washington now. You’re not going back to any old place.’ She packed my toothbrush and three pairs of underwear and said, ‘I’ll see you in about five years.’ That’s how important it was.”

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on why he decided to release QB Quincy Carter: “The outcome is that we’re all imperfect. Quincy did some really good things with the Dallas Cowboys, and there are a lot of great things about him. There are some things, though, that imperfection in those areas don’t fit with team concepts.”

Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells on his conversation to let 40-year-old QB Vinny Testaverde know he was the new starter for the team: “He said to me, ‘You’re giving me my boxing gloves back?’ I said, ‘You want them?’ He said, ‘That’s what I came here for.’ That was the conversation.”

Buccaneers S Jermaine Phillips’ spin on taking over for veteran John Lynch, who was released by the team during the offseason: “It’s like Derrick Brooks told me, I have a position to replace. I can’t replace John Lynch. He’s one of the greatest safeties of all time — if not the greatest safety — in Buccaneers history. I can’t replace that. I have to go in there and replace the strong safety or free safety and do my job.”
  2. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was the "I'm the starter" interview

It was whining about reps.

In the end Carter couldn't hide the fact it was all about Quincy first. The team second and under stress he cracks and exposed himself. I am one of Quincy's staunchest supportors. I saw that flaw in games, always when it got adverse or tough he would digress. IE Eagles game. Hoped it was part of the maturation and learning process.

Guess it all added up that Parcells just couldn't chance that that was what it was.
  3. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    It's amazing to me how fast people have turned on him.
  4. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,842 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Personally, I haven't turned on him any more than I rooted for him before. He's got himself in a bad situation, for which I have sympathy. I hope he gets it straightened out and can get his career back on track. As with Emmitt, I will root for him to be successful (unless he's playing the Cowboys). Hell, I hope THam gets his head out of his *** because he could make a nice change of pace back and have a pretty good career.

I try not to root for someone to fail... unless the play for Philly. ;)
  5. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I didn't say everybody, but some of his most ardent supporters are now being a lot more critical of him than this "hater."

Suddenly him wanting reps is a bad thing. Before it was a good thing. My how the shoes have changed feet.
  6. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,732 Messages
    347 Likes Received

Yes it is.
  7. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,842 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I know, I agree it's pretty .... well.... confusing. Mob mentality maybe?
  8. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I wish I knew. I never understood the fascination. Now it's hard for me to understand how some who were most fascinated and defensive smell blood in the water.

Convenient.
  9. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    When you back something for the wrong reason it's easy to turn.
  10. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Yes it is. That's the way it is with athletes, we praise them to excess when we like them, but when they do something we don't agree with, we are quick to lash out with great intensity and condemn them harshly. How dare they disappoint us! How quickly do we boo the QB we cheered last week if he doesn't meet our expectations this week? We're always looking for some imperfection to jump on, just to prove that they are really no better than the rest of us. Let's face it, a lot of us just want to bring people down because we are jealous of their accomplishments. Something like this allows us to vent our frustrations. There, doesn't that feel better now? :rolleyes:

The team has a whole new look and feel without Hutch and Quincy and it's time to settle back and enjoy the new show - this is gonna be a very interesting year. :)
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

How true....
  12. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    It is sort of amazing, but then again, how quick are we to boo the one we cheered last week if doesn't play up to our expectations?

It's time to move on. This team has a whole new look and feel without Hutch and Quincy and it's going to be a very interesting season, time to settle back and enjoy watching it unfold. :)
  13. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    It is sort of amazing, but then again, how quick are we to boo the one we cheered last week if doesn't play up to our expectations?

It's time to move on. This team has a whole new look and feel without Hutch and Quincy and it's going to be a very interesting season, time to settle back and enjoy watching it unfold.
  14. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Good post.

There is a poster on here who has argued with me for over a year on my contention that Carter was not very good. I saw a post by him yesterday that said we need to move on because he was never very good to begin with.

I got labeled a "hater' for saying that, now it is all the rage. It is an eye opening experience I tell you.
  15. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Sorry about the multiple postings, it did not look as though the earlier ones actually posted.

Forgive and forget and go on to what's next.
    NEXT!!
  16. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,274 Messages
    123 Likes Received

wow! only a redskin would admit to that s#!t!! ha ha!
  17. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Active Member

538 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I think you guys are overdoing it a bit in your analysis. I was a supporter of Q. I really thought he was going to improve this season... all signs were pointing to that.

But, that being said, I am totally in support of his being cut. Look, I didn't know that he was still throwing fits about getting reps. I didn't know this was his third violation and another one would mean suspension. When I supported him it was without this knowledge.

I don't wish the guy any ill will. However, I am now glad he is gone. And good riddance, knowing all the facts makes it this way, not smelling blood or some such mob mentality.

I thought, erroneously as it turns out, that Q was maturing. After all, in public he was saying all the right things about teamwork, his work ethic, etc... But to hear that he is STILL pitching fits over playing time, still 'paranoid' about Bill's Guys, coupled with his drug violation and, if you beleieve the reports, poor play in this camp, I'm glad management cut ties with him.
  18. hogwild

hogwild Member

261 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Q was right about one thing, There is no open competition for starting QB

:D ......He's FIRM on that, no matter how you word it......what a loser :rolleyes:
  19. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,548 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Some have, but many have started a new cause.

Our season is over, Vinny will only last a few games, Henson will be a bust, Romo NEEDS to be our savior.
  20. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,743 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    I don’t think that his supporters turned on him. For me it was all about the Cowboys being successful not just Quincy being successful. Now that he put himself before the TEAM and is history, I can easily move on to the next. I wish him well but at the same time I am more concern about my favorite team, the Cowboys. The same thing applies to the present and future QBs of the Boyz.

What I don't get is how people can honestly think we are better off without our starting playoff caliber QB that the Tuna has invested 18 months of time in. I hope it all works out in the end but I am not too excited about starting the season with VT or DH.

I am usually an optimistic but if we make the playoffs and do well I will be very surprised.