1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Phil Costa could be playing a significant role according to Jerry Jones

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ThreeSportStar80, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I wonder if Jerry is a little peeved that Gurode waited so long to have his surgery. Garrett was asked about that, and kind of side-stepped the question, saying they were just looking forward to getting him back. Could be Jerry trying to get into Gurode's head (and possibly Holland's as well).
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Phil Costa might start at C and Gurode might go back to RG.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Yeah, I hear talk of that, but Gurode wasn't that good when he played guard before, and he was a lot younger, and his knees were a lot healthier. Not saying it won't happen, I just don't see it. I do believe that they would like to have a better center than Gurode (or at least one that can make the line calls and snap better).
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,765 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Jones pretty much ixnayed that possibility.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :confused: Huh?
  7. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,765 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    DC.com didn't include this quote from Jones about the possibility of Costa replacing Gurode anytime soon:

BTB has that quote included with the other praising Costa.
  8. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,377 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    After reading Jerry's positive comments about Costa and Holland, I'm less optimistic about the Cowboys signing Waters. Seems like Jerry's happy with the depth at guard with Arkin, Kosier, Holland, and Costa. Holland receiving a $500,000 bonus recently probably decreases the likelihood of his being cut then replaced by another veteran. This is Garrett's team so he obviously has input here too. I find it hard to believe that Garrett would be ok with an obese, oft-injured backup as a potential starter, but what do I know?
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    well it is always possible that they see Holland differently than you do
  10. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,377 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Of course it is. Believe it or not, I'm not a Holland-hater. I think he has done a solid job when filling in over the past few years. I just have little faith in his ability to stay healthy because he is poorly conditioned. Waters just seems like a better option to me and his experience (as a top guard in the league for years) could only help our young guys.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    if Waters was really good he would have signed with someone by now; of course it is possible he is holding out for more money and is content to wait until some team has an injury and has to fork it over.
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not excited about adding 35 year old guard... If that was the case they could have kept Leonard Davis.
  13. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,504 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    It all sounds good but I'd rather hear it from Garrett. Jerry's meddling in personel decisions has hurt more than helped. Outside of the Seattle playoff game when Parcels refused to let Romo throw to T.O. (and we lost) Jerry being involved in playing players has not worked out very well.
  14. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,352 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Yeah, who would think the GM should be involved in any personnel decisions :rolleyes:
  15. the truth of it all

the truth of it all Benched

661 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was my understanding that Arkin was beating Holland out.
  16. starchamber

starchamber Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry is the owner first and foremost who hired himself as GM. I will be glad when the day comes when player update info for the cowboys comes strictly from the people who are hired and are "qualified" to make those decisions. I don't care what Jerry's assessment of a player is. His opinion is only slighter better than some of the posters on this board.
  17. slomoxn

1,504 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    True that, such a great GM but how many GM's in the league determine starting or even players playing over the head coach.
  18. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,631 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I don't think JJ does this at all with JG incharge as HC. You can bet, JG is making those calls regarding the football team. Not JJ!!!
  19. slomoxn

1,504 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    I believe that to be true also, but I don't think it will stop him from trying. In this case Garrett is not giving an opinion on Costa, Jones is, and it is not a WE (Jones/Garrett) are happy with Costa's work it is "I" am happy with it. This just smacks once again of him trying to make playing time decisions over the head coach. Is he doing this because he doesn't see the need to bring anyone else in (and maybe Garrett is looking into it) or has Garrett pointed out how dismal the O-line developement has been and Jones is looking for bright spots. i just wish Jones would let the coaches tell us how well the players are doing, when it is him I don't know if it is the Jerry (GM) or Jerry (guy paying the bills). Since they are one in the same the GM will see no need to upgrade the o-line based on Owner's pocket book, not on need.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Holland hasn't played, so everyone is beating him out at this point