1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Philip Rivers = Choker?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by casmith07, Nov 1, 2011.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,564 Messages
    2,939 Likes Received
    Fumbling the snap at the end of the game, game goes to overtime, Chiefs win.

Choker! ;)

Seriously, though, I think Rivers is injured and trying to play through it. He just doesn't look right.
  2. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,079 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    He's killing my FF season
  3. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If this had been Romo, all the slings and errows would have been out. But Rivers is a media darling & a high draft pick so all is forgiven. Exactly how many big games as he won?
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,051 Messages
    2,956 Likes Received
    He gets a pass because of 3 Super...Oh well, he gets a pass.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,891 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received

lol.

Nicely done.

Now I'm on record as being a Rivers fan. In fact he's been, and continues to be, my favorite QB in the whole league.

But he definately doesn't take the beating that Romo does for miscues or bad games.

A big part of that, obviously, is that he plays for the Chargers and Romo plays for the Cowboys. So there is always that factor to contend with when you're the Dallas QB.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Pass?

Did you not hear Jaws and Gruden laying into him?

Gruden said it was probably the worst day of his life.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    And the media folks on twitter were laying into him pretty good too.

I do think Romo gets overly criticized, but that comes with being the QB of the Cowboys. So, ppl need to get over it.

I also believe fans get myopic about their team and can't set aside their own biases to even notice when the media criticism turns on other players. Is it the same as it is for the Cowboys? No, but they do get it. And if folks paid attn, they'd see it, too.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    I was wondering why no one on tv mentioned that his finger got broken/dislocated on that bobbled snap too. It was clear as day on my tv, I dunno if it was like that before the snap, but when he pulled his hand away after the fumble, at least one of his fingers was seriously jacked up.
  9. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Rivers has been choking bad this year. Before this year he wasnt a choker. He is on the wrong team.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,384 Messages
    3,727 Likes Received
    No doubt about it. Even Bress this weekend gets a pass for his poor play vs the Rams? You remember the rams the team everyone here said was nothing but a college team? Dallas had to blowout the Rams or the critics would have gone nuts but instead we blow them out and well it is no big deal? well is it a big deal that the same so called college team kicked the Saints butts? :laugh2:
  11. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Romo. They are both very close in Talent and Brains.
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I guess we have been listening to and viewing different articles today. The ones I have read/heard have been panning Rivers today. One article compared him to Joe Pisarcik's "Miracle in the Meadowlands" fumble and some others are saying he doomed San Diego's season. Heck, here is an article in SI that sounds very Romo-like if you take River's name out of it and the "incredible playoff run blurb...

"With every great moment in Philip Rivers’ career, every clutch win or incredible playoff run, there comes a frustrating letdown. Whether it’s the playoff losses in the 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09 seasons or flat out missing the postseason in 2010, Rivers has been one of the NFL’s poster children for unfulfilled potential."

http://nfl.si.com/2011/11/01/philip-rivers-epic-blunder-dooms-chargers/
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,521 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Ditto. He's off big time this year.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dumb.

But I guess we'll see this everytime a QB struggles now.

BTW, Rivers has done a lot more in this league than Romo.
  15. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,813 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    It is sad for Cowboy fans that when a QB royally screws up and has a brain fart he is now referred to as "pulling a Romo" or imitating Romo.

Romo's name has now become synonomous with doing something stupid especially near the end of the game. Can't say that Romo hasn't "earned" the label.
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He hasn't. Romo doesn't "choke" anymore than Rivers or 27 other quarterbacks in the league minus Rodgers and Brady.
  17. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do you realize Philip Rivers has won only two playoff games, both in the wild card round, in his own right? I'm not crediting that 2007 Divisional playoff win over the Colts because Bill Volek sealed the deal in that game.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,051 Messages
    2,956 Likes Received
    Define that, because I am not sure what you mean.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Taken them to more playoff appearances, wins in the playoffs and further than Romo. If you want to look at them statistically, we can do that too.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, you're not going to credit him for that win, huh?

Let's see, Rivers' contribution that game: 264 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT

Volek "sealing the deal" with 48 yards on 3 for 4 passing, 0 TDs, 0 INTS