1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pilot Mistakes Venus for Oncoming Plane

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Apr 23, 2012.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,329 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/sleep...oncoming-plane/story?id=16158107#.T5WT39n-lI4

Sleepy Pilot Mistakes Planet for Oncoming Plane, Sends Passenger Jet Into Dive

A sleepy pilot who mistook the planet Venus for an oncoming plane sent his Air Canada jet into a steep dive that bounced passengers off the ceiling, injuring 16, and nearly caused a collision with a real plane flying 1,000 feet lower.

Air Canada initially described the injuries to 14 passengers and two flight attendants as the result of "severe turbulence," but a report released this week by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada explains what really happened over the Atlantic Ocean on an overnight flight from Toronto to Zurich on Jan. 14, 2011.

According to the report, the plane's first officer had been sleeping, as is permitted by Air Canada on transatlantic flights, when he was awakened by the pilot's report of the plane's position.

The pilot indicated that a U.S. Air Force cargo plane was approaching the Air Canada 767-300 at an elevation about 1,000 feet below the passenger jet.

The "confused and disoriented" first officer, however, believed that the planet Venus was the approaching plane, and was coming right at the Air Canada jet. He forced the plane into a dive.

Passengers who were not wearing seatbelts, many of them asleep, were slammed into the ceiling and overhead bins.
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,316 Messages
    1,808 Likes Received
    Hopefully, Air Canada does their due diligence and have their pilot drug tested.

"It's a plane! It's coming right at us! Dive, Dive, Dive!!!"

"That's Venus, you fool! Pull up!!!"
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,999 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    Those tricky Venusians. Always disguising their planet like an airplane.
  5. DallasEast

28,316 Messages
    1,808 Likes Received
    Air Canada should consider grounding him permanently. One day he may wake up, glance up at the stars and start yelling, "Aliens! ALIENS! They're everywhere! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!"
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    I always wear my seatbelt on planes, just in case.

Idiot passengers. Do you take off your seatbelt and pass out in the car? No.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    FWIW, Venus has been amazingly bright so far this year. Some nights it doesn't even look real.
  8. DallasEast

28,316 Messages
    1,808 Likes Received
    Perhaps it is a good thing that the first officer was frightened/repulsed by Venus instead of attracted to it.

...which begs the question, "At what altitude will a 767 jet engine stall exactly?"

:)
  9. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Fixed.

Great, work is blocking the link so I'm not sure if it really is fixed or not.
  11. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,147 Messages
    458 Likes Received

Oh sure, people get HURT and you LAUGH!

j/k I thought it was hilarious too :D:laugh2:
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    A lot of folks have mistaken Venus for a UFO.

You would think a pilot would not misidentify it, but it goes to show you what can happen to someone who spends a lot of time looking at the sky.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Mean and funny is still funny. ;)
  14. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    'That's no moon, its a space station.'

I was in the john on a flight to DC a couple years ago, hit bad turbulence, I slammed against the roof, luckily I was done,ha. It reminded me why have a couple drinks before boarding.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,910 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received

You do not know how much I needed that DE.

Thank you for posting that. Funny stuff.