1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Please do not draft a 3-4 DE at pick 14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyManDan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Looking through mock drafts some, I just wanna rant some and say am not on board with drafting a DE for the 3-4 at pick 14. I just don't think DE's in the 3-4 defense are worth a pick in the top half of the first round. Why? Because I don't think 3-4 DEs are typically put in position to be play making type of players. They generally are run stoppers and gap controllers, ala Marcus Spears (who himself was a 1st rounder), Kenyon Coleman, Igor Olshansky, Chris Canty, etc. They are not going to impact our defense like we need, especially at pick 14. Plus I think solid they can be found in later rounds (2-7).

A 4-3 DE is altogether different. I'm fine with going OLB at 14 because that is a position in the 3-4 that is put into position to make bigger plays and have more impact and is harder to find in later rounds. Especially since Spencer's days could be numbered.

I really think the first round pick should be a OLB, or G/C. S can wait a round or two I think, unless we can trade down, get an extra pick, and still get a guy like Barron.
  2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Take a look at the Steelers, Ravens, Texans, 49ers who are the best 3-4 teams. The strongest part of each team are the front 3. Only the Jets are better in the back end than the front. Look at the mid 2000's Patriots. Those defenses were led by Ted Washington/Wilfolk, Warren and Seymour.
  3. bhamzspecial

bhamzspecial Member

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe you don't get it but football game are won in the trenches
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,744 Messages
    851 Likes Received

Marcus Spears is an underchiever at his position and draft status. You always want to get pressure with less players and not more. I would be happy with a 3-4 DE that is an every down player that can slide inside in nickel situations.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

10,015 Messages
    1,341 Likes Received
    Yeah, look how stupid Houston looks for taking Watt at 10..
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,589 Messages
    2,717 Likes Received

Marcus Spears would've been a nice 3rd round pick but the guy is not dynamic enough to be a 1st rounder.

We need a JPP JJ Watt type and Fletcher Cox looks like that guy.

The problem is we probably won't get a shot at him.
  7. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,159 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    i would agree with you in most cases but i would make an exception for Fletcher Cox.

this guy looks like a guy who can be stout against the run but also be a force in the pass rush.

i picture him on the weak side with Ware and see big potential there.

granted the likelihood he makes it to 14 at this point is slim, and i still lean towards Barron....but i wouldn't complain at all with Cox
  8. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    nuff said right there
  9. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

3,033 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I'm hoping for Cox or Poe right now. Get the big nasties early and often.
  10. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,543 Messages
    866 Likes Received
    Justin Smith disagrees.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We're playing 3-4 and 4-3 techniques. Most 3-4 teams are running hybrid systems now. NFL teams are running advanced calculus schemes, and people are still trying to equate it to remedial math.
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,707 Messages
    944 Likes Received
    JJ Watt Senior Year- 62 tackles, 11.5 Sacks, 21 TFL
    Fletcher Cox Junior Year- 56 tackles, 5 sacks, 14.5 TFL

JJ Watt combine #'s- 6'5 290 34" Arms, 4.84 40, 34 Reps, 37" Vert, 120" Broad, 6.88 3 Cone, 4.21 20 yard shuttle

Fletcher Cox combine #'s- 6'4 298 34" arms, 4.79 40, 30 Reps, 26" Vert, 103" Broad, 7.07 3 Cone, 4.53 Shuttle

So Cox wasnt even close to as productive in college as Watt nor is he the athlete that Watt is. Fletcher Cox is not the prospect Watt was last year, not really all that close to be honest. I agree that we need to get an upgrade at DE through the draft this year, but Cox at 14 is just not the wise choice in my opinion. Cox will make a good 4-3 DT, but I can see him getting lost in the double teams a 3-4 DE will routinely face and quickly become an after thought just like Spears. Coples is the only DE I want if he falls. If not I think we can get a guy in the 2nd that can match the production Cox would give us in the 3-4. Worthy, Thompson, Still, Reyes or Winn would all present an upgrade and much better value at #45.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,512 Messages
    1,952 Likes Received
    A few years ago I would have agreed with you. I ridiculed the 49ers for spending so much on Justin Smith. But with the emergence of guys like Smith, Calais Campbell and J.J. Watt, I think it's reasonable to go for these undersized passrushing 3-4 DEs. I think Cox will be in that group.
  14. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Active Member

235 Messages
    38 Likes Received

I have to say he is spot on about this one Cox is not in Watt's league
  15. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,543 Messages
    866 Likes Received
    :eek: lawd. Dude's a freak.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

3,033 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    He was originally a TE recruit I think.
  17. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,512 Messages
    1,952 Likes Received
    Watt only had 7 sacks in his senior year and, if we're comparing to Cox's junior year, then Watt only had 4.5 sacks in his junior year.

Things look different when you're not looking at the right information.
  18. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,167 Messages
    529 Likes Received
    There's no one that good in this years draft. There's no point in drafting one for the sake of drafting one and hope picking him a early makes him better then what he is
  19. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,614 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    Where did you get that Watt had 11.5 sacks his SR season?
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Plus, as far as the production goes, Cox played in a vastly superior conference on a perennially undermanned team. Watt played on one of the best teams in the country in a comparatively lousy conference.