1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Poe? No!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ejthedj, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ejthedj

ejthedj Well-Known Member

1,002 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    After watching some tape, this guy just looks like Willie Blade -- trash.

He's huge but he has no motor and no instincts. On one play, he wasn't blocked and the RB was cutting back right towards him. He chased after the FB who was going the other way and let the RB slip by.

He was double teamed an awful lot, like most plays. But the guy just gives up way too much, gets washed out, even ends up on the ground. I was hoping to see better but the tape don't lie. These were also games against mediocre teams.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,265 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    But he did so well at the combine . That on-field stuff don't count . A hour after his combine workout , half the country had him as a top 20 pick .
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where did you get the tape?

Is it available for everyone to see?
  4. ejthedj

1,002 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    There are some full game highlights on Youtube
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

That's what we call "tape" now?

What about his 22 TFL in 30 starts? Doesn't seem too shabby. Or his 100 tackles either.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Links?
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I watched the same video on yt & he might have those stats & shining moments during games, but you need to watch what he is doing on the other thousands of plays before you decide he is the guy.. I wasn't impressed with the 1 video I saw but hey, what do I know?
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,265 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    Just as much as the rest off us . Most of us are talking out of our rear end half of the time . :laugh2:
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Fixed it for you. :laugh2:
  10. ejthedj

1,002 Messages
    44 Likes Received
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    You're right, im sure you saw plenty of "tape" in that one video you watched on youtube to know more than the scouts and NFL personel people. What was i thinking?
  12. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you would agree with Stephen Jones assessment regarding Ratliff then? Just curious.
  13. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    While you're throwing out the trash, could you throw out Brockers as well? I've watched several yt whole game vids, and the guy looks worse than Spears. He spends ALL his time hand fighting at the LOS. He rarely even penetrates into the backfield. He's stout against the run, and can hold up the OL at the LOS, but he offers you NOTHING as a pass rusher. His combine numbers are confirmed in his vids. He lacks explosion, speed, quickness, or pass rush moves. He just passes the eye-test, but can't provide a pass rush or even penetrate consistently for that matter. Shocking, he's the #1 DL on most teams boards... just based on his size and potential. The best DL-man in this draft is Fletcher Cox. He's a true pass rusher, and plays exactly like Ratliff. Currently, Cox is #2 on most teams DL boards, based on Brocker's "potential." Cox is the only guy I'd take @ #14 over DeCastro.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Wait, wait.....

You were left unimpressed by a 345+ lbs defensive lineman that was playing against a no-huddle shotgun spread offense?

You do realize that QB was getting the ball out typically 2-seconds after receiving the snap. That offense is designed to beat pressure.

Even still...

- I watched Poe make a TFL loss (2:11 mark)

- I saw Poe getting triple-teamed (3:32 mark), which helped lead to a sack by his teammate.

- I saw him penetrate the offensive line (5:35 mark) near endzone and helped flush the QB out and resulted in just a slight gain.

- 7:05 mark he uses his quickness to blow right past the OG (gets pass-blocked by the RB) and forces the QB to step-up. The play was successful for the offense, but was obviously a coverage breakdown because nobody was within 5-yards of the receiver.

- 10:45 mark, I see him again explode off the line and get penetration blowing past the OG.

*** The clip is 22 minutes long, and I've only watched it up to the halfway mark. It's not all honey'n'oats with Poe; I think he's a talented develpmental prospect that intrigues teams. He does need help with technique with his hands, but that's something that can be taught. He also is susceptible to chop blocks, but again, can be taught to correct. But to simply slough him off and say "he's another Willie Blade" is way too simplified.

Poe was making positive impact plays against an offense that's designed to beat pressure and get the ball out quickly. Even the vast majority of the run plays I saw were toss-sweeps to the outside and not between the tackles.

You have to consider what you're looking at to really judge a player.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,462 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    On Poe, he is still raw...but the talent and football skills are definitely there. He has to be polished at the professional levels, but the tools for him to be dominant are definitely there.

And the scouting reports and rankings are going to shake up quite a bit through rounds three now. You can bet on that as well...as some of the individual variations are more closely defined in relation to other players.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    What was his assessment of Rat?
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    That's my take on him. All the tools are there to be a better pro than college players, the only real question is if he wants to be the best at what he does or not. If the will isn't there, then it won't matter. That's a question none of us can answer really, though it won't stop some from trying.

Tyron came right out and said he wanted to be a hall of famer. You get that attitude with his skills, even though he may not have been the greatest college player, and you know you could have something special.
  18. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,372 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I hope he gets an invite to valley ranch,can you imagine our defense if we hit on this guy?
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,462 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Mix him with an Irvin/Reyes, and you have my full attention prior to Training Camp.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,363 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    He played at Memphis. He's supposed to do that.

What you look for are the other things -- clearly he should dominate, but what about his instincts, technique, etc.

I think that's one thing our scouting department missed on with AOA.