1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Post SB Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jterrell, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,023 Messages
    1,553 Likes Received
    can't criticize other people without offering up my own. :)

r1) pick 15ish after trade down
    Derek Sherrod Miss St. Day 1 RT.

r2) pick 40.
    Stephen Paea Move to 3-4 DE Oregon State and could start as a rookie but would definitely can rotate in at worst.

r2) pick up pick 47 in trade (give up our r3 to make it work on trade value chart).
    DeAndre McDaniel Safety Clemson.
    Day 1 starter for us as a Safety. Playmaker with excellent speed.

r4) Ben Ijalena. Big bodied Villanova blocker who is long term RG. Would be drafted higher if this draft wasn't so insanely deep at OL.

r5) Casey Matthews. ILB Oregon. Athletically challenged but great instincts and intrensity. day 1 special teams stud and much needed depth at ILB.

r6) Edmund Gates WR ACU. Fast player is poor man's Johnny Knox. Good special teamer day 1. Lots of upside.

r7) Baron Batch RB Texas Tech. Solidly built RB with very good hands and lots of experience pass protecting. Backup and special teams type. 3rd down type back long term as he is used to running out of the spread.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,212 Messages
    2,394 Likes Received
    I think I like McCarthy better than Matthews.
  3. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McDaniels sucks so bad
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,023 Messages
    1,553 Likes Received
    I like McCarthy as well and think he'd be a target in about the same range. He is a bit smaller and struggles in space. He has much better top end speed it appears. I think Matthews probably has a bit better instincts and size fits the 3-4 ILB role a bit better.

They are very similarly rated imho.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,923 Messages
    3,369 Likes Received
    Very interesting Mock JT.

I'd like to see a corner drafted, rather than another WR, but overall a decent effort.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I really like the Sherrod and Ijalana picks. Nice mock.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,023 Messages
    1,553 Likes Received
    I didn't draft any CB because I think we get one via FA that can be our lead CB. Maybe not NA, but Bailey and a few others are out there.

I like Scandrick, McCann and even Ball moving back to CB.

I have developed a theory where you have to grab guys based on a draft's strengths where possible. This draft is strong in OL and 3-4 DE for some odd reason.

In recent drafts we saw the RB/DB draft where we took Felix but saw CJ and Mendenhall go just after us as well taking Choice in 4 and grabbing Jenkins but then Scandrick in 5. That r4 and r5 grade were based on insanely deep drafts at those positions.

At CB I think these guys have holes. Peterson has all the potential in the world but all these guys struggled at times in college. They weren't pure shut down guys. And that is one position where the Boys aren't long in the tooth. TNew is one grisly vet but he may not be here.

I wouldn't be against adding a guy like Burney at CB but I am fairly sure these guys will go earlier than I'd like as there aren't many who have potential starter grades.

If I am the Boys GM I look at the draft as really deep along the OL and DE areas and then figure my other holes are CB, FS, ILB. I aim my big money at CB and consider FS if one a cash friendly deal. ILB depth might get a look but I also know I can draft a guy in r4-r6 that can at least help on special teams.