1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PS3 vs xbox 360 - Your opinions

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by xout, Jun 3, 2009.

1. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's the deal: My ps2 finally crapped out on me after like 5 years or something. That said - I have decided to stop being cheap and go ahead and make the leap to a next gen system.

I will be using my standard 32" TV for the time being but I believe my girlfriend and I will be getting a HD tv sometime this summer. Blue ray is not that important to me as I have 300 something DVDs will no intention on going to blue ray unless the price goes down.

I will mainly use the system to play sport games (Madden, NBA 2k, etc) but am interested about online gaming in shooter games. I was a huge fan of the SOCOM series on PS2 and have heard good things about the new game on ps3. Honestly - SOCOM is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a ps3. However - I do not mind paying for xBox live if it is really as good as it is claimed to be.

I keep going back and forth between the 360 and ps3 as I want a good system with good games I would enjoy. I know I would enjoy the new SOCOM game but don't know if it's worth spending the extra hundred bucks or so to just have a ps3 for that purpose. Has anyone played the game that played the original socom series? Is it as good as I've heard? Is there something just as good for the 360?

Basically this thread was created for one purpose - I want you to sell me on the system of your choice. I am completely torn on which system to go with, and I would like some fresh opinions. Thanks!
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've just opened a big, nerdy can of worms.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Dreamcast.
  4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm gonna laugh my arse off when these nerds run your fat-*** down
  5. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ps3>x-crap
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,414 Messages
    1,899 Likes Received
  7. The Ominous

The Ominous Dead Man Stalkin

1,219 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Own them both and love them both.

But in all honesty I play the 360 more. There are a few reasons, but the main two are because of the controller and Live.

Two great consoles that I have really enjoyed.
  8. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just found that Dell.com is running a special with the ps3 ...

15% off the console + Killzone 2 for $1. Total after taxes and free shipping is only $370. Yay or nay?
  9. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,817 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I have both and I like my 360 for games most of the time... Madden, Gears, Lost Planet etc..etc..

But the PS3 is great for HD games and Blu-Ray movies....

I have no preference so if you can afford it get both.
  10. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,817 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Me too.........
  11. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Will they be using that new Natal technology to do so? Silly dorks...legs are for real life.
  12. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Honestly, this "next-gen" business ain't all its cracked up to be. This gen sucks compared to the last. The PS2 ran rings around all this stuff we have today. Now its fewer games, more expensive games, more expensive hardware.

The new SOCOM game was terrible. It was an unplayable mess upon its release. I only bought it because it was packaged with the sony bluetooth headset. I heard they've patched it up since, and that it runs pretty well now, but even so I don't think it's reviewed as well as the previous SOCOM installments.

If you don't care about bluray, honestly you might as well just get whatever is cheaper because nearly every game (or shooter, for that matter) is going to be multiplatform (available on both ps3 or xbox), with the obvious exceptions (Killzone for PS3, Halo for Xbox). And cheaper means Xbox. Personally, I like the PSN's online store more, and the simplicity of the PS3's XMB interface as opposed to the garish, slow, and headache-inducing "panes" of the new xbox interface released last fall. PS3 is all wireless, including network...whereas if you want to hook your xbox up to your wireless network, you have to buy a $100 network adapter. PS3 uses bluetooth, whereas 360 uses proprietary wireless...so there's far more options for 3rd party wireless controllers and headsets (your typical bluetooth phone headset will work with ps3) than there are for the Xbox. To many, that's not worth the price of the ps3 over the xbox. If all you care about are the games, then the xbox is probably the wiser choice as it's cheaper and 90% of the games released nowadays are available on both systems. If you care about features, though, the PS3 is the way to go.
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    worms
  14. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Basically getting the console at $100 cheaper than normal because Killzone is one of the games I would buy anyway.
  15. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Well, if its that cheap, and you can't find a better deal on an xbox, i'd do it.
  16. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,399 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I have both systems and overall I think the PS3 is made better but online gaming is much better on the 360. Their interface is much more intuitive, feature rich and overall just superior to Sony's online gaming experience.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Just get whatever you think is best. Asking others for opinions is a no win situation. I'm all about the 360 but have given up on trying to "convince" people which system is better.
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I just bought a 360 and it's great. I don't play online or own any blue ray dvds so the choice was an easy one for me.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,309 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    When I was in Dallas, my brother has a PS3. We were playing a baseball game. I think it's called The Show. It was a great game.

The PS3 is a difficult game to develop for (thats the word anyhow) So, they don't quite have the games that the XBOX360 has. Though the PS3 is far more powerful of a platform. So, right now the XBOX360 is probably the way to go for games today. Although, in the future the PS3 will probably be the better platform.
  20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,381 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    That's just crazy talk. Once you have an HDTV you'd be crazy not to start going Blu. They don't cost much more than DVDs (unless you're stupid and buy everything at Best Buy where they're $30+ for everything). You don't have to replace all those DVDs, just get Blu-rays for everything new. Or you can just do what I did and sell your DVDs on ebay. You could probably get $1,000-$1,200 for that kind of collection.