1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question about taking a RB...or some homework

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 29, 2011.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,435 Likes Received
    Listening to the After draft PC with Jerry and they kept asking him about RB.

He seemed to indicate that they could draft one or not...basically Jerry Double speak.

However something he said seemed to indicate that if they did take one that it would be someone to play on special teams.

What RBs remaining are known for their special teams play that may also be names of RBs that we have brought in or talked to?
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeMarco Murray. Great kick returner, excellent hands as a receiver and big-play threat in the backfield. The Cowboys also brought him in.
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Well i dont think special teams means kick return ability. It means coverage teams. Like Choice did.

He said he wants his 3rd string RB to play some special teams. That means a few things.
    1) Barber or Choice is gone. Most likely Barber
    2) Why pick a guy in the 2nd who's going to be 3rd string, and play special teams?

If they pick a guy in the 2nd he's gonna be the back up. Choice goes back to 3rd string and plays special teams
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,435 Likes Received
    I don't think he specified any round in particular. In a way it seemed like if they took one ok, if not ok...but who knows with jerry.

I don't think it would be in the second round.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, but remember last year Jerry called out and pretty much publicly embarrassed Choice for his poor ST play.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, Jerry kept repeating special teams play over and over again from his 3rd RB "because we haven't had one in a long time". A not so subtle swipe at Choice, IMHO.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    I don't think Jerry cares what role on ST so long as his 3rd RB is a good ST player. It comes down to bodies. You can only carry so many to the game. If your 3rd RB is going to be active on game day he has to give you quality ST of some sort, even if it just kick off returns.

2 guys that make sense ot me are ronald johnson of usc and derrick locke of kentucky.

both as 3rd down back types who return kicks.

really much harder to identify quality coverage guys but there are speedsters such as the kid out of richmond who could earn a roster spot but covering kicks and catching the occasional swing pass to the flat.
  8. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Allen Bradford.

The 2005 Parade All-America all-purpose MVP was as dominant playing linebacker at Colton High School as he was playing running back. Though he made the switch to running back at USC, he never lost that linebacker mentality. He has the size (5’11″, 242 lbs) to run over you and the speed (4.53 forty time) to go past you.

Bradford was the number one linebacker in the nation when he became a Trojan. He was young and he wanted to play. More importantly he wanted to be a team player. While his career at USC may not have gone as planned, you never heard a complaint. He just worked hard knowing that he would get his shot. When asked about playing special teams at the NFL level Bradford said he would welcome it with open arms. He added that he “first made a buzz on special teams while at SC”.

Allen is well aware that the lifespan of a running back is around three years. He said it’s only in part because of injuries. A lot of guys can’t contribute on special teams so they become expendable. Bradford knows that he brings value to a team because he’s able to play on all of the special teams units.
  9. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Think the skins want that extra 2nd round pick to take RB Ryan Williams.

My favorite player in the draft and I hope they do it. I figure the skins don't have a qb or receivers, might as well have a running game. Can't go into the season with just Torain, he is injury prone.
  10. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Taiwan Jones in the third. Fast and elusive should be able to return kicks ala Darren Sproles.