1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question for the DRAFT experts...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JakeCamp12, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,094 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I do not follow college football and really don't follow the different mock drafts...my question is this...who is the highest rated center coming out and does Dallas have a shot at drafting him? Could this player start for us on day one?
  2. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,557 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Peter Konz from Wisconsin. If he puts all medical concerns behind him, he is a top 25 pick.

Next up, at least for me, is Ben Jones from Georgia and Michael Brewster from Ohio State.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,052 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    I'd be stunned if the Cowboys took Konz with the 14th pick.
  4. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,390 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Yes,but it if decastro is gone and they trade back a ways, right?
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,052 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    Maybe.

I guess it will depend upon what sort of scuttlebutt we get out of the Cowboy's braintrust when it comes to their perceived draft needs.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,192 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Trading back for Konz is stupid.. He's a late 1st rounder at absolute best. Either move up in rd 2 for him or hope he falls.
  7. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    If David DeCastro (listed 6-5, 312) is available at #14, does anyone think he could possibly play center for Dallas?

I've read more than once that DeCastro is comparable to Maurkice Pouncey (6-4, 304) in terms of athleticism, the smarts are reportedly there, so why not consider it?

Some say that Decastro's height would be a concern, but he don't know yet if he's really 6-5, he might be under it when measured at the Combine in late February.

The Pouncey twins are 6-4 (Maurkice) and 6-5 (Mike)

Alex Mack is 6-4, Eric Wood is 6-4, Nick Mangold is 6-4, Matt Birk is 6-4, Nick Hardwick is 6-4, David Baas is 6-4, Chris Myers is 6-4, etc.

Would it really be a problem for someone as athletic as DeCastro?

I'm not saying he needs to play center, but couldn't it be an option?
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Konz is 6-5 as well.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,678 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    Why not draft him and have him play guard? :laugh2:

I understand center is still a need, but it's not like we have tremendous guard play. Strengthening the guards would go a long ways in helping the center imo.

Nicks and DeCastro with Free and Smith swapping and this line could be very good, regardless of who plays center.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He has a major medical red flag that could put him into retirement at a very young age.

He has had an unprovoked Pulmonary Embolism from a blood clot in his leg. He required months of blood thinners but made a full recovery.

The big issue is that most people who get a second blood clot are recommended medically to undergo lifelong anti-coagulation which would prevent them from playing contact sports.

My understanding is that Konz may have a genetic disorder that puts him at high risk for blood clot formation.

Because of this issue I wouldn't touch him before the 4th or 5th round. Cannon who had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma was drafted in the 5th round last year and I liked his chances for recovery better than I like the chances for Konz to never have a blood clot again during his playing days. All that trauma from the games or a couple days of inactivity after twisting his ankle may be all it takes to provoke a second blood clot. We simply can't afford to take this chance with him high in the draft given all our other needs.
  11. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I guess you can, but why would you want to play a blue chip guard out of position. He's also supposed to be a good pulling guard, so you'd take that aspect away from him if you play him at center.
  12. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I'm curious about it because center is a much more important position.

Bill Parcells argued and won the debate to select Al Johnson over Jason Witten in the second round back in '03 because he didn't think Andre Gurode could play the position.

The Tuna said you can't win in the NFL without a center.

Also, playing C in no way prevents an athletic player from pulling.

Dermonti Dawson made a career of doing it for the Steelers in the 90s.

If you can do it, you can do it, it doesn't matter where you line up along the line.

The team might have something else in mind at center for next season, there's no telling, I just happen to think David DeCastro can do it if called upon.
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,192 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Are you a doctor? Not being sarcastic, just seem to be very knowledgable in the medical field.