1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question; If Draft changed due to CBA, trade future picks now?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 27, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Let me ask this question, dont know what judge nelson is going to do yet, but if the integrity of the NFL Draft is challenged like one lawyer wants and some NFL players want total free agency to go to teams they want.

Would it make sense now to possibly trade a future high pick to get some extra players in the draft this year?

Case in point, read this;
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ld-be-the-first-to-directly-attack-the-draft/
    Janoris Jenkins could be the first to directly attack the draft
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT

Getty ImagesWith cornerback Janoris Jenkins, widely regarded as possessing talent that would get him drafted in the first round, booted from Florida too late to join the 2011 draft, Jenkins will be a hot commodity in the 2011 supplemental draft.

If, that is, there even is a supplemental draft.

then this;
    Kessler’s vision for the NFL moves one step closer
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2011, 9:32 AM EDT
    Plenty of players, agents, and media members have scoffed at NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s brand-new op-ed item appearing in the Wall Street Journal, which explains the end result of the legal strategy that the players hatched on March 11 with the filing of the Tom Brady antitrust lawsuit.

Goodell sets forth some of the same things we’ve been saying of late — that ultimate player victory in the Brady antitrust lawsuit will result in an NFL with no labor deal, no limits on free agency, no rules that apply across the 32 teams, and no draft. As to the “no draft” concept, Goodell even quotes agent Brian Ayrault’s recent tweets directed to PFT regarding Ayrault’s belief that there should be no draft.

In addition to no draft, Goodell explains that, under the players’ vision of the NFL as crafted by lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, the league would be lacking various devices that have protected players for years. There would be no minimum team payroll (i.e., salary floor). There would be no minimum player salary. There would be no standard compensation for players who suffer serious injuries while practicing or playing. The would be no league-wide benefit plans. There would be no limits on free agency, with franchise “perpetually out of the playoffs” serving “essentially as farm teams for the elites.” (It reminds me of my once-beloved Pirates. If they had anyone in the past decade or so that an elite team actually wanted.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/5/
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,349 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Trading future picks is allowed right now
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,739 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    interesting if we trade future picks for player now and then next year they do away with the draft (nfl players) its like we got more picks for nothing:D

but i doubt that happens.
  4. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    i doubt nfl draft would change too but you never know way some of the union lawyers want it and some players want total free agency, so thats why i asked the question

dont get me wrong, i would be totally ticked off if nfl draft is changed in some way, totally ticked off :banghead:
  5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Perhaps Jerry could get the inside track from Judge Judy? :D