1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 5, 2012.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    I want no part of Coples. I live in Tar Heel nation. He will quit once he gets a paycheck. He is all about "business decisions". Complete waste of talent.
  3. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would jump all over him at 14. The guy was a stud as a jr. Then that Chaos hit the school, everyone there quit. I would use him just like the 49ers use Aldon Smith.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    I'd take him at 14 too.
    There's another thread that has a guy suggesting that we trade up to 10 to get him. I say no to that though. I'd prefer to keep that 3rd rounder.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    Not a doubt in my mind that they would take him at 14. I think they see JPP. Hopefully he would be playing for his second contract.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Put Quinton Coples in there with the linebackeer mix of DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Dan Connor, and Anthony Spencer....and I won't worry about him being complacent or unmotivated. But put him in there with Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, Jason Hatcher, Sean Lissimore, and Josh Brent...well, I think he will be 'motivated' most of the time.

I think that Coples would be a great piece to add to this defense. College naivitee is greater than the NFL's. I think that Rob Ryan and Matt Eburfluss will maintain a team concept with him. His own expectations may surprise many as well.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Those UNC guys scare the crap out of me. There seemed to be an overall culture of underachieving, self entitlement and living off of your hype there under Davis.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,286 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Who do you actually like?
  9. DFWJC

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    Hakeem Nicks?

I thought Greg Little and TJ Yates looked pretty good too as a rookies too.
    Carter and Marvin Austin were hurt.
  10. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    For a guy to change postions three time in college and not motivated he still registered 7.5 sacks and 15 tackle for losses in his "down yr".

I think I take him at 14.
  11. dools

dools Member

219 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You got to take him if he falls that far. He has the potential to be the best defensive player in the draft.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I like Fletcher Cox. I like Mercilus. I'm warming up to Barron. But Coples seems to be beloved simply because www.40YearOldVirginNFLDraftDork.com has said since September that he's a Top 10 pick, so it simply must be so. Coples was considered to be a bust on the collegiate level, what makes anyone think he won't carry that on in the pro level after he gets paid. I understand that some people want to excuse his underachieving on the scandals at UNC, but I would argue that makes him all the more a bad fit in Dallas. If you're not mentally tough enough to fight through controversy and scrutiny, you're not going to fare very well in Dallas.

The UNC teams seemingly fielded an entire front 7 unit of nothing but potential 1st and 2nd round picks, but they never once looked dominant to me on the field. That should have been a unit that built that program for the next 20 years, and instead it brought the program to it's all time lows and got a bunch of coaches fired. Something stunk over there, and I'd rather not bring that stink over here anymore than we already have with the Carter pick.
  13. DFWJC

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    I don't think Coples was a bust on collegiate level. Who says he was a "bust"? Maybe disapoointing at time to some, but not a bust at all.
    And the rap of him giving up is starting to fade the more people go back and look at the tape.

In the end, I do like Fletcher Cox though and consider him less of a risk for us.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Seems to be the exact opposite to me. In September he was considered a Top 5 pick, and now people are talking about him maybe falling to the late teens are lower. It's not that Senior Bowl practices or Combine workouts that are causing him to fade, it's the game film.
  15. btcutter

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Why do you think he is a bust at collegite level? Last yr when he got his position changed for the third time while coaches were also changed he still registered 7.5 sack and 15.5 tackle for losses. The yr prior when he played DT he registered 10 sacks and 15.5 tackle for losses.

How do you call a guy who produces a BUST?

He's a consistent producer despite going to staff changes who keeps changing his position. If he can concentrate on one position he should only get better.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Because his own college team was taking him off the field in certain packages. People who watch game tape call him an underachiever.
  17. DFWJC

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    I saw him as top 8-12 all along with talk of him being slack being calmed by game film.
    What's this top 5 stuff? Maybe 1 in 15 mocked him at that level.

The earliest I ever see him mocked is 7th to Jacksonville.

Anyway, for the top end players, the tape is looked at FAR before the combine. It's the guys under the radar that may grab attention at a Pro Day that get scouts scrambling to go find tape. Granted, some do revsiti the tape on most players, but tape and live scouting comes first, then the underwear olympics.

Anyway, we know RG3 moved everyone down a notch. Otherwise, it's a bit of crap shoot.
  18. btcutter

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Perhaps you see something that I don't. For someone to be such consistent producer for 3 year with that time of athleticism is hard to pass up. He's no one hit wonder or workout warrior like many on the draft board.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,286 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    I'm not even arguing Coples..I don't like him as a fit in a 3-4

I just literally haven't seen you comment positively on anyone and was curious who you liked
  20. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    This is what DC.com had to say on Coples in their Mailbox:

Dijon Kinney - Columbus, OH: Could you see the Cowboys moving up for Quinton Coples, or hoping he falls to them? Would he be an outside linebacker here, or a defensive end? And how good would he be at either position?

Nick: I just don't see the Cowboys moving up too far to get anyone. Now if they're in love with a certain player and they're shocked he's still around after 10 or 11 picks, then possibly I could see that scenario. As for Coples, he's a defensive end in any scheme. Rather he's off the edge in a 4-3 or a 3-4 defensive end, I think that will be his position. The book on him is that he's not a high-motor guy but when he decides to turn it on, he can be dominating. I see a lot of Chris Canty in this guy. Not sure how much of a positive that is.

Josh: I just don't think they have such a huge need right now at any position that it would be worth trading future picks to move up. If he fell to them, I think they could be interested in him as a 3-4 end who might be able to supply a pretty decent pass rush when sliding inside to defensive tackle in nickel situations. But even if he were available at No. 14, I wouldn't be shocked if the Cowboys went another direction.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=56317E4A-C3BA-0CF3-DE250F5F23AAF2B9