1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 5, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    Jacksonville, Carolina and others > Eagles, imo
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's probably coming from his source in Valley Ranch.

One thing that I think can't be stressed enough is the Cowboys have lots of inside information with the UNC coaches between Brian Baker and Jerry still being tight with Butch Davis. If anything behind the scenes happened there that isn't public knowledge, the Cowboys will know about it.
  3. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dallas would also get reliable first hand knowledge of what Butch Davis and staff think of him.....
  4. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,216 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    I really want no part of Coples. He gets mauled in one-on-one match-ups and washed out of plays far too often. He is terribly inconsistent.

Also, I don't think his problem is so much a lack of consistent effort as it is he is just not a fast, twitchy athlete--which is what I want at OLB. He is the kind of guy who needs space to build up a head of steam.

I don't know about his combine or pro-day numbers but on film his lack of lateral mobility and initial burst is glaring. It also shows his lack of tenacity and how often he truly gets man-handled.
  5. DFWJC

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    He was maybe the most dominating player all of Senior Bowl week. He man-handled everyone he faced. The opposite of what you are saying.

His senior season was full of double teams and he played muliple positions. He was not as productive overall that year, but still very productive. It's all relative, I guess.
    I didn't see him manhandled.
    What games are you referring to?
  6. texbumthelife

3,216 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    Pretty much every youtube video I can find. His highlight videos aren't even all that impressive for a guy once expected to be a top-10 lock. The Miami game is especially alarming because he absolutely disappeared against far "inferior" talent. If he did actually show up at the Senior Bowl then it would lead me to believe the grumblings about his business decision mentality are 100% true.

I think with Ware on the other side you really run a risk with Coples taking plays off any time he isn't asked to simply pin his ears back.
  7. texbumthelife

3,216 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    As I watch footage of him I see a great deal of video evidence of when OL situational block him (i.e. let him run himself outside, flush him inside) he will take himself out/get gobbled up out of the play 99% of the time. His pursuit is elite--which is great considering how often he has to change his angle after over pursuing or simply taking an awful angle.

I just don't think Coples has top 14 value. Especially with a real football player like Hightower still on the board. Coples is Cowboys circa '00-2010. Hightower, Barron and Decastro, football players, not athletes or hype-primadonas, are what we need on this team.
  8. DFWJC

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    So you are on record saying the "real football player" Hightower will be better than Coples.
    Fair enough.
    I doubt it.
    But time will tell.
  9. texbumthelife

3,216 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    Yes.

Time always tells.