1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"Expert" quotes about Aikman before the '89 draft

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Gryphon, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On the weekend that Troy receives the greatest honor in pro football, I thought it would be fun to go back and review what everyone's favorite commentator said about the Cowboys taking Aikman with the first pick of the 1989 NFL Draft:

Apri 21, 1989, in USA Today, as quoted by columnist Rudy Martzke:
    "They're taking Aikman to sell tickets . . . the Cowboys have done everything in their power to embarrass the greatest NFL franchise in the past 30 years."
    -- Joe Theismann

BONUS QUOTE!!!
    From the same article:
    The Cowboy's NFC East opponents "hoped the Cowboys would take Aikman. If they took Tony Mandarich, he'd give Dallas a virtual 300-pound [per man] line for Herschel Walker to run behind."
    -- Mel Kiper

(I don't have a link, but you can find the quotes in Brad Sham's book "Stadium Stories" on page 89.)

None of this is to put down Theismann or Kiper (that's just a happy coincidence). It's to look back fondly at 18 years (good God I'm getting old) and to publicly thank Troy Aikman for countless thrilling and happy Sundays. He wasn't always perfect, but he ALWAYS showed up ready to play, he ALWAYS picked himself off the turf after a big hit, and he ALWAYS made us proud.

Thank you, Troy, for everything you did in a Cowboys uniform. Enjoy wearing the gold jacket. You've earned it several times over.
  2. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    :bow:

One Of the greats, dont care what no one says
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Single funniest post EVER.
  4. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,353 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Wonder if there as glad as we are that we did take him?:lmao:
  5. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well aint that a surprise, Theismann was an even bigger idiot 17 years ago
  6. GTaylor

GTaylor Gif Dude

1,849 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Supposedly Lou Holtz advised Johnson to take Mandarich and focus the offense on running Hershel behind him. Thankfully Johnson didn't take his advice.
  7. America's Team

America's Team Florida Cowboy

599 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I never liked joe theisman before this quote, but this just jumped his brownie points way down
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,264 Messages
    1,489 Likes Received
    I remember reading an article in the Palm Beach Post. JJ & JJ said when they seen Troy throw a bullet and accurate into an extremely strong wind, they knew he was there guy form the beginnig.

In 88, a friend of mine at work, about the last 6 games of the season, we started rooting for losses. So we could have the 1st pick, and to get Aikman. After the loss the last game of the season to get that #1. We came in high 5-ing each other. People thought we were crazy. But we knew better, and just smiled.
  9. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    Where's Gil Brandt's article where Landry knew Aikman was the guy after only a few passes in a tryout. Then when Landry was fired, Brandt was afraid they wouldn't want Aikman and they showed up to another Aikman workout and Jimmy stated that they would've never lost a game if Aikman played at Miami and they would've won by easily 50 points every game.

Joe Theismann probably thought Heath Shuler and Desmond Howard were going to be GREAT picks for the Skins. :laugh2:

Rich..........
  10. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,802 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    How Bout Them Cowboys!
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Funniest thing about the Theisman quotes: They are sorta true, just not as he intended.

Aikman sure did sell a lot of tickets. And, he sure did help the Cowboys embarass a lot of great NFL franchises on the field by whooping the stuffing out of them.
  12. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Being a huge UCLA fan (I'm from SoCal) I was thrilled going into the draft that year because I was sure we would take Aikman. When the rumors started circulating that we might/should take Mandarich I was disappointed because I KNEW Aikman would be a great QB for us (of course I thought Cade McNown would be great too so...) and it turned out that way!

Theezman has always been an idiot so this is no surprise.