1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

"lockerbie bomber" freed on compassionate grounds

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by daschoo, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    I wish a merc had taken out him and Qaddafi in mid hug. The world would be a better place.

This is outrageous. I don't know how anyone can defend it. I do know this, never let one of these jerks be imprisoned in Scotland ever again.

Robert Mueller has it 100% right.

FBI director outraged by Lockerbie bomber release

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 47 mins ago

WASHINGTON – FBI Director Robert Mueller thundered down on Scotland's justice minister for releasing the Lockerbie bomber, an act that "gives comfort to terrorists" all over the world.

Mueller sent a scathing letter to Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill, who cited compassionate grounds in his decision to let Abdel Baset al-Megrahi return to Libya because he has prostate cancer and was given only months to live by British doctors.

The angry tone of the letter is out of character with the normally reserved Mueller, indicating his outrage is personal as well as professional. He also sent copies to the families of the Lockerbie victims.

"I have made it a practice not to comment on the actions of other prosecutors," Mueller wrote. "Your decision to release Megrahi causes me to abandon that practice in this case. I do so because I am familiar with the facts, and the law. ... And I do so because I am outraged at your decision, blithely defended on the grounds of 'compassion.'"

Before he became FBI director, Mueller spent years as a Justice Department lawyer leading the investigation into the 1988 airplane bombing that killed 270 people, most of them Americans.

Mueller said Thursday's release was "as inexplicable as it is detrimental to the cause of justice. Indeed your action makes a mockery of the rule of law."

His letter was dated Friday, and was made public Saturday.

Releasing the convicted bomber "gives comfort to terrorists around the world who now believe that regardless of the quality of the investigation ... the terrorist will be freed by one man's exercise of 'compassion.'"

A statement from Scotland's government on Saturday noted Mueller has "strong views" because of his involvement in the case. "But he should also be aware that while many families have opposed Mr. MacAskill's decision, many others have supported it," the statement said.

Bert Ammerman of Riverside, N.J., who lost his brother Tom Ammerman in the bombing, praised Mueller for the "frankness and honesty" in his condemnation of the release.

Mueller recounted his own emotional experiences leading the investigation — seeing a teenage victim's single sneaker, a Syracuse University sweatshirt, toys in the suitcase of a businessman heading home to see his wife and children for Christmas.

"Your action," he wrote MacAskill, "makes a mockery of the grief of the families who lost their own on December 21, 1988. You could not have spent much time with the families, certainly not as much time as others involved in the investigation and prosecution."

He ended the Lockerbie letter with a frustrated question: "Where, I ask, is the justice?"

President Barack Obama on Friday called the elaborate homecoming in Libya for the freed bomber "highly objectionable."

Watch this animal blow himself and other innocents up so he doesn't suffer from his cancer. It won't shock me at all if he does.

Disgusting.
  2. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. The Scots have released prisoners before on compassionate grounds, but it's hard to mitigate this release in view of the crime committed. The welcome he received in Libya and subsequent comments by Qadaffi only rub salt into the wound and give the worst possible message.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Well, this is what you get when you lock them up instead of simply killing them. They are waste of resources and eventually get to cry victim.

Civility really only belongs to the civil; to try and have it apply to cases with people like this is useless and a handicap.
  4. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    couple of points.
    firstly the people who are defending the decision are doing so for the most part because they believe, like i do, that magrahi is innocent.

secondly team america: world police was a film that was taking the piss out of this attitude, i realise it was predominantly americans that died in the attack but it did not take place in america therefor america does not have the right to decide where and how the accused is tried. he was convicted under scottish law and proccessed accordingly.

thirdly if you had read the statement he released he certainly doesn't sound as if he is going to blow himself and others up or that he is proud of his crimes as some others have suggested. considering on the whole terrorists do what they do because they have a belief in their cause and feel that they are just in what they are doing does it read as if he is a guilty man? bearing in mind he has been released on the understanding that he is guilty so he should by all accounts be revelling in the succes of his attack.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8212910.stm
  5. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Innocent or not the man should have died in jail. If you factor in the fact that there wasn't any evidence to prove his innocence theirs no reason he should be allowed to leave jail just because he is dying.
  6. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    i've already stated that i don't think he should have been released on compassionate grounds, rather after an appeal. certainly if the fact that the evidence that put him in jail has since been highly questioned played any part in his release then it would outrageous and a very dangerous precedent - justice minister over-ruling the decision of a court. all i am objecting to is people dismissing the evidence that suggests he is innocent and calling for him to be murdered in cold blood.
    also i am obviously going to defend my country. there are plenty of decisions the american administrations, republican and democrats, have made that i have found highly objectionable without me feeling the need to start verbally attacking america, and if i did i'm quite sure you would be quick to jump to the defence (rightly so)
    like i said earlier i would like to see a full independant review of the events leading up to the bombing but i doubt very much if this will happen because politically it suits for the blame to be left where it currently lies.
  7. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually the bolded part is where you support him being released because you think that he was innocent. However, there wasn't an appeal but a release on compassionate grounds. Which is bull**** whether you think he's innocent or not. Also it does make your country look bad so you really can't get upset over the reaction when one it's outrageous two it's bogus 3 you support it because you feel as though he is innocent. Which means you support your governments asinine decision of releasing a man from prison who was found guilty of killing over 200 people.
  8. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    actually the only thing the bolded part shows is that i think he was innocent. go back and read my comments throughout the thread before you start trying to put words in my mouth. your first point is basically the same as your second point, which i have already said i agree with, despite it being the correct decision by the letter of the law. i have no objection to people criticising it. what i have a problem with is claims like "scotland is the new france" "we won't allow any more terrorists to be jailed in scotland"
    your third point about me supporting his release is again just wrong. i have said several times he should never have been released on compasionate grounds. i feel he is innocent so should have been released after an appeal, again since you don't seem to be picking it up after an appeal not on compasionate grounds.
  9. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The people who are defending the decision think he is innocent like I do.

You said that you were defending the release because you thought he was innocent.
  10. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    "firstly the people who are defending the decision are doing so for the most part because they believe, like i do, that magrahi is innocent."
    its two seperate parts of the sentence split by the word because. people are defending the decision that is the initial statement then after that the explanation of why they think this and i have stated that i agree that he is innocent.
    i have made my views on this quite clear but if you want to split hairs and believe i agree with the decision i have stated was wrong on several occasions thats up to you.
  11. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,416 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Some animals should never be incarcerated. They should be knelt down in the grass and shot in the head. Scottland will regret this when he slips on a bomb vest and strolls in to a crowded market.
  12. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
  13. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,423 Messages
    943 Likes Received
    Of course the "expert" who works for the defense team and helped prepare the appeal is going to make those claims; his future (and lucrative) employment as a defense "expert" depends on it. In addition, the purpose of this article is that the guy is advertising himself for future clients. These people have zero integrity.
  14. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    yes he does have a vested interest however everything he says ties in with other evidence that is widely available. just thought i'd post this as this is an american agent who worked on the initial investigation agreeing with a lot of the doubts raised elsewhere.
  15. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,423 Messages
    943 Likes Received
    The "evidence" that is widely available is all smoke and mirrors and that is why no one gives them any credibility. The "expert's" claims are based on statements from witnesses that he could never produce.

Let me ask you, do you think this retired agent is an honorable man who took on this task out of the goodness of his heart? If that was the case, he would have spoken out long before he retired. For him, it's about money. He retired and made a lucrative carreer writing screenplays so George Clooney could fabricate his exploits on the big screen. He's a fraud who didn't speak up when he he should have if he believed in any of this and the evidence was readily available, and that was the time of the investigation and trial.
  16. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Zoners,there you have it.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  18. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    the ironic thing about that is americans criticising scotland for making decisions affecting international relations based on oil.
  19. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,442 Messages
    206 Likes Received

there you have what?

the first point i have already countless times said i don't think he should have been released on compasionate grounds but that i think he was innocent. i am stating that several people see his release as a good thing because he should not in their opinion have been locked up to begin with.

my second point was basically that america is not the only decision maker regarding policing and punishment internationaly. he was tried in a scottish court therefor america has no say over it. feel free to have opinions on any decisions as i may have on american decisions but you have no input into the decision making the same way as scotland would have none into american decisions.

and my third point was a statement from megrahi that i feel adds weight to my feeling that he is innocent.
  20. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He was convicted and wrongfully released.
    That you think he was innocent is just your opinion.
    The bolded part is just laughable...you feel he was innocent.
    Feelings...