1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ranking the top 34 DE prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 2, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Breaking down the top 10 potential five techniques in the 2012 NFL draft…

1. Michael Brockers: Louisiana State (6-6, 306)
    He might be a little raw and could have used some more work at the college level. However, he's an NFL talent with "plus" upside and can come in and play vs. the run at a high level right away. Should get looks at both the three and five-technique spots, and in my mind has the ability to become one of the better defensive lineman in the NFL down the line.

2. Devon Still: Penn State (6-5, 310)
    He really started putting it all together as a senior. If you can keep him motivated, Still has the talent to mature into a very good starting caliber lineman at a number of positions in the NFL. He can play off blocks; find the football and anchor consistently on contact.

3. Fletcher Cox: Mississippi State (6-4, 295)
    I think his best spot might be as a 34 five technique who is able to penetrate and make plays off the ball. He's raw and needs to learn to play with his pad level lower. However, as a potential five technique he's a guy who has the skill set to earn a starting role and create negative plays in both the run and pass game.

4. Dontari Poe: Memphis (6-5, 350)
    What couldn’t this guy do in a 34 front?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Bunting one of my favorites but he has a serious man crush on Brockers. I dont see it so far.
  3. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received

He may turn into Richard Seymour but his lack of explosion and being 323lbs makes me question whether he would provide push or just be a larger Marcus Spears.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,808 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    Yeah, I just don't see ANYTHING in Brockers. I don't. He's big. That's it.

Cox looks the best to me because he can actually penetrate. He's got a quick first step and hustles. And his frame looks like it's got a ton of room to grow still.
  5. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I think the best 34 DE prospect is Coples.
  6. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Disapointing projection on Crick. Alot of us were thinking of him as a second round pick. Not that the writer can't be wrong but if that is what our scouts feel is his upside as well then i hope we pass. Besides i already have shea mcclellin targeted for round 2 .
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    I'm on the Cox bandwagon myself...Brockers would fall to three on my list with Still falling behind him.

Cox
    Coples (not ideal DE in the 3-4, but can easily put on ten lbs)
    Poe
    Brockers
    Still (don't like the questionable motor)
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,846 Likes Received
    Brockers looks like Clifton Geathers to me:

Clifton Geathers
    6'7-1/2"
    forty: 4.98
    cone: 7.69
    vert: 36
    broad: 9-4
    bench: 26

Michael Brockers
    6-6
    forty: 5.36
    cone: 7.46
    vert: 26-1/2"
    broad: 8-9
    bench: 19

Geathers is listed at 320 on the Cowboys website. Brockers was 322 at the combine.

Seeing Geathers at training camp was impressive. I don't know if he can play, but he is one big dude...not just tall, but really big all over.
  9. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,067 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Exactly! Brockers looks the part, but doesn't play the part. He get absolutely no penetration on most of his rushes. He just gets stonewalled at the LOS hand-fighting. He has no pass-rush moves, little quickness, and very little agility. Just looks at his combine numbers. Those numbers tell exactly what the film shows... No explosion! Cox is the player I want most at #14. My top 4 are 1) Cox, 2) DeCastro, 3) Kirkpatrick, and 4) Kuechly.
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    hmmmm interesting. They do have comparable numbers. We might have something here.
  11. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,344 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Poe could a beast or Bust. Brockers has bust written all over him, I think Cox is the safest pick
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    If we take Cox, hopefully his real playing weight is closer to 290. Our DEs need to be a little leaner. We've tried having the slower, bulky DEs at 300+
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....IF DeCastro is gone.......alot of us just might be saying: GIVE US COX JERRAH!!!!!!!!!!!! (first and last time we will probably say that);)
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    My defensive preferences in the mid first round in order of preference are:

Coples (likely to be gone)
    Ingram (likely to be gone)
    Cox (probably available)

If those guys aren't on the board and DeCastro is gone I would suggest looking for a trade down partner.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think there is a real possibility we draft Cox - even at 14.

I think we'll pick up a CB in FA, and we'll look to add more depth at CB later in the Draft. I think Ingram will be gone. And for the Brockers lovers, I think he'll be gone well, along with Coples.

And the Cowboys were seriously looking at upgrading the DL last year at draft time as well (Watt was a serious possibility). I think Cox may end up being the pick this year.

I still prefer DeCastro, but after him, I'd be fine with drafting Cox, esp if Ingram is gone and we pick up a CB in FA.
  16. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Do any of these guys rate comparable to JJ Watt did coming into last years draft or are they all considered lesser prospects?
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    Round 1...CB
    Round 2...DE
    Round 3...ILB
    Round 4...TE

FA...OG, DE
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    None of them measure up to Watt either on tape or Combine numbers. Watt had great strength and the athleticism of most OLBs.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Not gonna lie, I'd be pretty upset if we drafted Cox at 14. I really don't see him as an upgrade to Spears or Hatcher. Hes probably going to be a very good 4-3 DT though
  20. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I would draft OG DeCastro with our first round pick. He represents value and need and would be a safe pick at #14. He should be off the board before we select if you follow the best player available theory. This guy is going to be on the field from day one and could be a pro-bowl player by year 2. He would improve our running and passing attack. I just don't see a DE or OLB in this draft that has equal value as a DeCastro. The only other player I like is the MLB from Boston College Kuechly. To me he is another Sean Lee. He could come in and compete with Carter for the other LB position. Philadelphia will probably draft this guy. I would look for Kendell Reyes in the 2nd.