1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ratliff looks headed for the PUP list

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    643 Likes Received
  2. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    643 Likes Received
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,487 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Plus, the signing bonus part. I think it's closer to $10 million.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,487 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I heard that Carolina was going to have to cut some good defensive lineman. They're strong there.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,694 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    Nail meet hammer.
  6. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,940 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Josh Brent gets to see more and more ways that he completely threw his opportunity into the trash bin. What a waste of talent. To work through HS and college for a shot and gone b/c he wanted to drink. Total waste.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,487 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Next year after June 1, he's only a $2 million hit.

I meant you can't do it now.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,829 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    You Ratliff haters need to listen to Talking Cowboys today.

They all defended Ratliff. Said that nobody has anything bad to say about him. That he is mad that he can't play. He wants to play football BADLY. That he's a competitor and a leader to the young players (cited him helping Lissemore). They said that people need to realize he's just a different type of cat.

You guys who want him cut are absolutely the most ridiculous fans on this site right now. Wake up!! Did you forget how hard this guy plays when he's on the field?
    5Stars and Corso like this.
  9. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    If this is true then you have to keep the guy around and hope he plays at some point this season.

I'm getting tired of his deal, though.
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    Sorry - I didn't understand why anyone would think we could cut him. He's got a guaranteed salary and PuP doesn't cost a roster spot. We get nothing out of cutting him now. Obviously no one should think that was an option
    dogberry likes this.
  11. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,083 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    This post alone makes you my hero. And I already liked you. This guy is too emotional to just sit on a sofa and laugh about the dollah dollah bills he be rakin' in.
    He wants to play.
    Those of you who don't think so must have no experience in being a part of something special.
    You don't want to be "that guy".
    Zordon likes this.
  12. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,608 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Does it matter how hard he plays on the field if he never gets on?

We live in a "what have you done for me lately" type of society.

The fact is he is being paid like a top tier DT and hasn't produced anything in the last year and a half. Even before then, he was on a steep decline.

I understand we can't cut him this season because of cap implications, but I won't be sad to see him go in 2014 if I'm being honest.
    unionjack8 and ufcrules1 like this.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,660 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Yep.

A bunch of people have never liked Ratliff and I can't figure out why. I'm afraid a lot of it is that he was never the 350 lb tub of lard 34 NT they dreamed of. Which is absolutely stupid.
  14. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Nope. Never had a problem with Ratliff until now. But when a MRI shows a "mild strain" (i.e. it really showed nothing) and he is going on five or six weeks of rehab for it, most sane people would be slightly suspicious, especially considering the team's salary cap issues, which prevent them from cutting that player.

So, guaranteed money, no particular motivation to play, and mysterious injuries that keep player out for an inordinate amount of time. And you have no idea why some are suspicious? Okay...
  15. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,083 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    I do get the emotion behind what you're saying.
    I truly do.
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,829 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    Man it's crazy how people turned on him on here. They don't mind turning a cheek to Matt Johnson's injuries, but want to hang Ratliff for his. Which one has bled for this franchise?

Go back and watch the few games he played last year. He was a freaking MONSTER. This guy is extremely important to the success of this defense and team this year. He is legitimately HURT. We can consider cutting him next year but the ones that say cut him now are insane.[/quote]
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,660 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Where did you hear that the MRI showed nothing? Everything I've heard is that it's not the hamstring so much as a groin, which when it lasts this long usually actually means sports hernia.

If we had solid evidence he was faking it, I wouldn't like that, either. But I seriously doubt that's happening here. He's never had "no particular motivation to play". He's played harder than almost anyone on this team.
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,829 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    It's either that or their mad at him for challenging papa jerruh.

I truly don't get it man.
  19. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,083 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    I'm not sure that guy could fake anything. He's too emotional, not manipulative.

This is the guy that almost went physically violent on his check-writer when he said "We need you out there".
    This man wants to be out there and he can't.

I wouldn't even mind being called a "Ratliff Apologist" over this.

I know men like this. They want to be in the S***, not smelling like it.
  20. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    Rat was a Jones player. JJ rewarded him for his past, not for what he was going to do in the future. Rat has basically played as much as anyone on this board since he got his big payday. I knew last year when that argument that happened, or didn't happen, between him and JJ that was the last we'd ever see or hear of him. He's taken advantage of the Cowboys in every aspect since his injury happened. I can't get behind a guy who from what it looks like, has not done everything he could do to help the TEAM..