1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: RB Coach on what went wrong with Cowboys 2012 running game

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 13, 2013.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Kind of hard to leave yards out there when our backs are dodging tacklers IN THE BACKFIELD.
  2. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

590 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Didn't we also set a franchise record for rushing futility?

Every coach involved in the offensive scheme should be on the hot seat, not just Garrett.
  3. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I just hope they don't try to change him into something he isn't. The last thing we need is Julius Jones part deux.
  4. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

639 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Get out of my head
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I'm shocked.
  6. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

405 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    We can all blame it on the Offensive Line or Blocking but I don't think that was really the main reason. When Murray was good to go, Cowboys rushing was just as productive as anybody inthe league (Offensive line blocked pretty good on those Sundays)

When Murray wasn't available on Sundays and we had to rely on others like Felix Jones and other depth at the position basically we had "dogs who just won't hunt."
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,667 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Highly unlikely that a position coach is going to call out the offensive line for sucking, which is the obvious answer.
  8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Well, I'm more concerned with the fact that play-action was essentially non-existent. Opposing secondaries never had to cheat up to the line out of worry.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    Well, there are better ways of saying it.

He could have tactfully mentioned the injuries at C and some of the limitations brought about from the loss of a good blocking TE in Bennett, which were a large part of the problem. Injuries to Demarco Murray, which they addressed were a problem, too. Given that they let Felix walk, it's apparent they thought that was an issue. And then there are a host of specific positive adjustments that they're probably working on that he could reference without giving anything away in terms the overall strategy. Basically, even a morsel or two of tactical football information.

Overall, I don't think the team is doing the sorts of things a team does if they really think the issue is just 'the OL sucked,' by the way. Now, they might be wrong about that, but it looks to me like their plan for the OL doesn't match with the expectations most fans have for them to replace 4 of the 5 starters from last season.
  10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,965 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Single worst thing our OL did was get on the ground way way too much. A whiffed/crap block is bad, but I can't count how many times Cook/Bern/Livings lost their feet and ended up on the ground.

That said, I don't completely disagree with what he is saying. There were definitely times I felt like Murray was trying to find a cut back that just wasn't there. Which is a double edge; you ask him to stop and you don't get the ridiculous runs he produces, but then you may not have the losses you sometimes got.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,564 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    This.
    Brown wants his guys taking responsibilty for what they can control.

Plus in general, Garrett has tried to add coaches and players that don't point fingers at other units but first take personal responsibilty.
    BTW, this was a sore point with Ryan last year, suppossedly.
  12. burmafrd

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    wow. just wow. Not even close.
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    One of the things i actually do like about Jason Garrett, and i know there are alot in agreement with me, is that he doesn't give straight and thorough answeres to the media. He gives them coachspeak and moves on without feeling the need to explain everything he's doing to them.

I find it funny, now, that when another coach follows that formula, he gets castrated by the fans for it.
  14. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

877 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Let's call a spade a spade. Our only true RB was hurt half the year. Our other "star" who was evidently entering Man vs. food contests all off season couldn't even pass the physical and really couldn't find a hole if his life depended on it. And speaking of holes, the oline rarely gave them one to find so it was really up to any RB that was back there to make yards happen on their own. Our FB Vickers was mostly a ghost last year as a support blocker and play selection with our passing game was not setting up the run very well if that was in fact what we were trying to do. Oh ya, we were playing catch up most the time after poor 1st half performances so the run game pretty much took a powder throughout the year until Murray came back and he was still limping around at 80% as our best back.
    A recipe for a disasterous run game I'd say.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

:laugh2:
  16. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

796 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Because they couldn't run... Question - how is 'leaving yards on the field' an excuse?
  17. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,050 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Sadly thats all this is.
  18. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,405 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Vickers is done. He was a great player and is a great guy. Just no tread left.
  19. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Brown gave the correct answer, now it's not true.... He can't say the truth. The backs might have left yards out there, but when they did it was a couple yards on a 10 or 15 yrd run, that's where I saw Murray turn into the defender... At the LOS more often than not there were just no yards to get.
  20. burmafrd

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    yeah you have to have a HOLE before you can worry about leaving yards on the field