1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Realtick's Guide to Selecting the Right OT

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Apr 18, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There has been a lot of debate on this board regarding which OT the Cowboys should take and why.

I wanted to throw my hat in the ring and give you a definitive answer on who the correct linemen to take is. :p: Keep in mind all others are wrong, even if they mirror my opinion.

Here's how I rank them and why (factoring in versatility, potential, measurables, et cetera):

1.) Tyron Smith - It's rather simple in my opinion; Smith offers the best combination of current ability/future potential. There is little doubt Smith can step in as a day 1 starter at RT for the Cowboys in my view. I think he's sound technique-wise and has grown-man strength to play at a higher level than what Colombo offered last season and what Sam Young was coming out of Notre Dame.

Smith also projects to be able to man the LT spot in the future. Some folks hate it when this is mentioned, but it cannot be overlooked. They also tend to be short-sighted in thinking "hey, we got Free, we don't need a LT." Well okay, then Smith satisfies your worries on all acccounts. There is no reason to force him into LT. You can play him at RT, let him get seasoned for a few seasons and move him to LT.

That should be seen as a benefit and not a shortcoming.

2.) Gabe Carimi - I'm simply a fan of Carimi's style of play for the same reason Marc Colombo was a favorite of mine: they play mean. Carimi can be dinged because he might be the least versatile of the consensus top OT in this year's draft. However, I think he can make the transition to RT seemlessly and man the position for the next 8-12 years. If the Cowboys choose to trade back into the 1st, I would be all onboard for taking Carimi. I believe he's an instant starter and major contributor early on.

3.) Derek Sherrod - I've been a fan of Sherrod's for awhile. I think he's the epitome of consistency. I think he also shows value in versatility with the apparent skill-set to play either LT or RT. What Sherrod does apparently lack is what a guy like Carimi has: violence to his game. Having said that, Sherrod is techniquely sound and is capable in all facets of blocking. It could be said Sherrod and Carimi are 2a & 2b.

4.) Anthony Castanzo - Despite be an extremely bright guy and giving good effort, I've never really be sold on Castanzo. My biggest critique of Castanzo is that I think he's a bit goofy athletically. He tests out relatively well when asked to perform specific simple exercises like vertical jump or whatever. However, when asked to put together a series of athletic moves as is required in games, he becomes lock-knee'd and all out of sorts. Another knock I have on him is that he's a bit sloppy with technique. I do give him some points for apparently showing the versatility to play OG too.

5.) Nate Solder - There is no need to rehash the great frame and athleticism Solder possesses; we all know them. I should say though that I don't see his height (6'8") as a benefit. He struggles at times allowing shorter DL get under his pads and he doesn't have a great base to fend off bullrushers. I also think he's poor technique wise. He's often late on his kick-out and has bad feet which allows defenders to get outside of him. Equally alarming is that he has a penchant for allowing defenders get underneath him on inside moves. To me, it's Solder not Smith, who is the bigger athletic boom/bust prospect.

Having said all that, there are many aspects that all these OT can and will improve with training, learning and experience. I'm not stating any of these guys will be busts. I do have a preference on who the Cowboys select though (listed above).

Your thoughts?
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    What do you think of Carpenter by the way?
  3. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,435 Messages
    900 Likes Received
    dude, you removed your phone number!!!1 I was going 2 call u.:confused:
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like your rankings, though I prefer Sherrod to Carimi due to Sherrod's versatility.

It appears, however, the Cowboys may rate Smith, Costanzo, and Solder fairly closely - if some of the reports today are correct.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,646 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    mine goes
    1. Smith
    2. Carimi
    3. Castanzo(over Sherrod because this is for RT not LT)
    4. Sherrod(as a LT I like Sherrod better than Castanzo and Carimi but I don't like Sherrod as a RT as much)
    5. Carpenter
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like him. He's a bit underated IMO.

I don't put him in the Top 5 because he doesn't have some of the measurables as the others do and I think he'll need a bit of seasoning. He reminds me a bit of Jermon Bushrod and Donald Penn.

Having said that, he's a guy I think could see some time at OG. He's got a bit of a smaller frame/arms than the other players mentioned.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, I know, I had to delete that quick.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I remember the post where Pouncey thought he was definitely going to be drafted by the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys trade back to around the 17 spot, I wonder if he could actually be their top rated OL overall (including OG, Centers as well as OTs)? Assuming Smith is gone along with one other OT (let's assume Costanzo).
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I think you pretty much nailed it.

I still tend to lean more towards Cowboys trading back and getting
    Carimi I think the guy is a very good pass protector and a dominate run blocker. I like the meanness and toughness he plays with.
  10. supercowboy8

5,646 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I could see them getting him at 17 then trading a 2nd and 3rd to get back into the 1st and getting Carimi.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    I think they were mostly interested in interior OLinemen last year compared to OT.

However that might have changed since Columbo continued to break down physically.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,298 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    I'd rather trade back up for Sherrod. We need a swing tackle and Sherrod can serve as one. Dump Barron.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    I like Carpenter more as a Guard than Tackle.
  14. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I like Carimi for his nastinesss

and like Sherrod because he can play LT
  15. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thats a waste IMO Mike Pouncey is not his brother

a waste of picks IMO

why trade away 2nd and 3rd when we can get a DB an OG with those picks
  16. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't particularly care for Solder but it could be argued that his ceiling is as high as or higher than Tyron Smith. Solder has only played tackle for the last 3 years while the rest of these guys have been playing tackle for practically their whole lives. Get him in a weight room and teach him the fine intricacies of hand placement, etc. and who knows.
  17. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Carimi is the best option because of the nastiness to his game. He's got all the rest, experience, power, great feet and athleticism but he is also one NASTY SOB. thus Colombo goes and Carimi steps in. easy like that.

plus we can trade down to the early twenties and STILL pick up a guy that plays for us for 8 to 10 years. WHOOHOOO!!
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I agree. I like Pouncey at G but his play at Center sucked. If you stuggle that much on the college level it is not going to get easier at the Pro level. His brother proved himself as a center before he went to the Pros, Mike has not.
  19. supercowboy8

5,646 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I didn't say I would do it. I said I can see Dallas doing it if they are high on Pouncey. Also I never said they would trade a 2nd and 3rd to get Pouncey. I said they would trade a 2nd and 3rd to move back into the 1st to get Carimi.
    They would have extra picks that they got from trading back from 9 to say 17 which would take a 1st and 2nd. SO then you trade the 40t h and 71st pick to move back into the 1st for a RT.

Just to say this happens.
    Dallas trades back to 17 with NE
    9th pick worth 1350
    17th pick worth (950) + the 60th pick (300) + the 92nd pick (132) = (1382)
    Dallas then trade 40th(500) and 71st(235) = 735 and get the 24th pick(740)
    1st 17th Pouncey
    1st 24th Carimi
    2nd 60th Rackley
    3rd 92nd Kelvin Sheppard
    4th 110 Ian Williams
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    Why?

It's a 1st round pick. We don't have time to wait on this guy. He better be ready from the word go.