1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reasons to be concerned about the future

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    That's a big part of the problem right there. The "GM" always seems to believe we are a piece or two away from being SB contenders, causing him to take the annual band-aid approach. He couldn't be more wrong.
  2. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,860 Messages
    380 Likes Received
  3. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,658 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Austin has become a glass chandelier and it is time to move on from him. Thank goodness Harris is looking real good...
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,402 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    I'll give you 3 reasons to be concerned about the future Jerry, Garrett and Romo.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    Couldn't Jerry just passed on Carr and decided that was too much money to invest in the CB position when they were planning on drafting a CB in the 1st round, already had a #1 corner in Jenkins?

Don't get me wrong -- Carr is a very good player. Having said that why do you think there were only 3-4 teams chasing him?

Heck, why do you think only 3-4 teams were chasing Nnamdi the year before?

Most of the best run front-offices avoid getting into bidding wars for top end FAs -- they are rarely worth it.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones that aren't made.

That $10m could have been spent on a couple of mid level FAs for the DL and OL.
  6. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,860 Messages
    380 Likes Received

I think everything you said is valid, but let's look back--

Newman was gone, that was a lock. But more than that they just didn't trust Jenkins. Not just because of his shoulder but his commitment both to the game and to the team, tackling, staying in Florida for rehab, etc. I think he did a good job this year redeeming himself but that was the mindset at the time.

So with Newman gone, Jenkins a question mark, you needed a corner and remember, it only takes one other team to inflate a player's price. When there are three or four, it's gonna cost you.
  7. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,658 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    :fact:
  8. perrykemp

5,172 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    I can't disagree with anything in your post....

It just feels like every year the front-office feels like they have to swing for the fences. I suspect a more measured long term plan would be better in long run.
  9. perrykemp

5,172 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    It's true. The three most important piece of a NFL franchise -- GM, Coach, and QB. If you do a honest reckoning of each you'd probably rank them:

GM -- bottom 3rd of the league
    Coach -- Average
    OC - Below Average
    DC - Average
    QB -- Top 8-12 but possible slipping
  10. boardn10

boardn10 Member

36 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This team has so many issues and is so far from championship caliber, I have no idea where to begin. It is time for Jerry to go and blow this thing up. Start over from the ground up....just like the Eagles!