1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: Mickey with The Hardline on The Ticket... (kicker talk)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, Nov 27, 2006.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Mickey:
    • Evidently the Cowboys think they are in the hunt and are not going to allow a mental kicker to hurt them. They have signed Martin Grammatica and Carlos Martinez (Desperados kicker) to the practice squad just in case. They have worked out Martinez before and evidently plan on monitoring him on the PC.
    • Grammatica has subbed for both Vinatieri and Vanderjagt when they were injured. He was 11-19 during his stint for Vanderjagt. New England signed him and he was beat out by a rookie this year. He averages a touchback for every 9 kicks.
    • This is going to cost the Cowboys 1.9 mil against the cap next year, so it tells you they have really had it with Vandy. He barely made his last 22 yarder. It would have missed from 30 probably.
    • Vandy talked a good game but he never seemed to back it up with Dallas. If Dallas is going to yank the QB, then it shouldn't surprise anyone they would cut the PK.
    • Let's hope Grammatica has learned his lesson about celebrating after making a kick. Signing Martinez probably lets aGrammatica know he is on a short leash.
    • Suisam was signed by SF but is now on the practice squad. Cundiff was signed by NO to do KO's.
    • Dallas missed out on Morten Andersen.
    • This is probably the last time Dallas will invest big bucks in a kicker.
  2. HighTechDave

HighTechDave 7 Years of College Down the Drain

2,061 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    dude, just the fear of being cut, will keep the Boys focused this sunday for the Giants.

NO PASSENGERS!!!!
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,522 Messages
    783 Likes Received
    Time to draft a kicker in April. The best one out there.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    If I remember, there was an article or blog awhile back that stated that Vandershank said he made a mistake signing with Dallas, and that he hated to be in Dallas....

Anyone remember that?
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I don't really remember the article or anything, but there is a hell of a lot more pressure in Dallas than say...Indy.
  6. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,375 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I thought the same thing when I read this earlier, and that truly stinks. Oh well, adios Chris Chris, you and your stupid lookin' soul-patch.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Hindsight is 20/20 . . . . but there were several good kickers available in FA this year other than Vandy . . . . we just waited a bit too long to wait for the market to soften up. Oh well, it happens . . . . . You can't hit on every FA and draft pick.

Best just to cut your losses and move on.
  8. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,819 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Yes, you're right. I believe it was from during his preseason struggles.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,490 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    I'd have made bank on that.
  10. amuze

amuze Member

187 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hope we can get our hands on Alexis Serna from Oregon State... look up his stats, the guy is simply amazing. 50 yd field goal is like a chip shot for this guy.
  11. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,272 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Drafting the best kicker would require big bucks (for a kicker). We are gunna get by on retreads and hope to hit on a cheap romo version of a kicker (young stud without the price tag). No first round kicker for you. Or third round probably.
  12. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received

Thanks, I knew I had heard that...

That may be one reason that he did not work out, and also, there was a press conference where Parcells said that Vandy told him not to worry, but, Parcells said that he's getting worried now!

Vandy is from Canada, and kicked for the Colts up North...maybe the heat down in Dallas got to his head...

;)
  13. jumanji

jumanji Member

678 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    let's not forget mason crosby out of colorado
  14. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I heard that he can kick fgs from 75 yards in the altitude of Colorado.
  15. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,522 Messages
    783 Likes Received
    The best kicker out there will not require a first round pick. There are no Janikowski's out there.

I would be happy to spend a 3rd or 4th round pick if it solves the kicking problem. No guarantee's of course. That would not be big dollars.

I'm tired of the revolving door at kicker.
  16. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with a 4th rounder as well.

But I don't think that's BP's style.
  17. Cochese

Cochese Benched

7,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    YOu are right, Mason Crosby is better than that fat lazy pollack.
  18. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,522 Messages
    783 Likes Received
    Perhaps not.

But if Bill comes back next year, I bet he will be desperate enough to take one anyway.
  19. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,595 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Grammatica was only 11 for 19 (57.9%) while subbing for Vanderjadt. Wasn't Vandy something like 13 for 18 (72/2%)for us???? Unless Grammatica has been practicing like hell we've made a serious mistake here.

I hated Vandy's misses as much as anyone, but I'd prefer 72% over 57% any day.
  20. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I don't think he lasts past the 2nd round...