1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recording Industry goes after personal use

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Dunno if this tickles the concept of "political" enough to fall under this forum, but here goes anyway. After years of high-profile fighting of music piracy, the recording industry now seems poised to start suing over personal use. This would include buying a CD, taking it home, and converting it to MP3 or AAC for use in an Ipod or just to listen to on the computer (we're not even talking about offering to others for download - just ripping the CD you paid for so you can use the songs on other devices).

Here's a quote from the article:

Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

The industry's lawyer in the case, Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed earlier this month that the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That is complete BS. If you own the cd and don't share the files they need to butt out.
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,964 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    The RIAA sucks. Instead of changing with the trends of demand, they want to strongarm the industry to stay the old way.

Oh well - other than older stuff, most of the music I listen to is from labels that fly under the RIAA radar.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I haven't bought any new cds in at least 2 years.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    the RIAA is literally stupid.

If in fact you can not rip cd's then they would sell even fewer than they do now.

They are crying about this cd swapping but people were taping the radio onto cassettes for years. Very few people are going to only listen to cds they have purchased.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    For years they forced us to buy a whole album full of crap for one good song...

If it wasn't pop then there rarely was a single put out...

They are also going after clubs that have live bands and forcing them to pay fees so the bands can do cover music...

They really have lost touch with reality...

I blame Bush... :D
  7. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,176 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    That is really going too far.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Screw them.

I only use copies of my CDs in my car.

I keep the original for home use and make a copy for my car. No worries if they get too hot, scratched or even stolen in the car because I know they are only copies.

Plus I have a large collection on my computer. I would guess between 1-1.5K worth of songs.
  9. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I have always been confused over this whole music copyright situation. I thought the copyright said you could not make copies and make money off them? If your copying it for personal use where is the problem.

As as far as file sharing goes, do the bands really make that much money off CD sales? I would think they make more money from selling concert tickets and merchandise at the concerts. File sharing is free advertsing for the bands. :bang2:
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No, the bands make pennies per album. The RIAA has no interest in protecting the artist beyond being able to sponge off of them and continue to have the lion's share of the profits.

It's just another greedy move and will fall flat on it's face.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    1-1.5k?

got about the first 3 seconds of a song? : )
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Very true statement.
  13. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My second HD has about 65-70G worth of music. All stuff that I put on there for back up in case my disks got screwed up when my kids were "borrowing them" (Yes, I listen to some of their music and they listen to some of mine) or like BP so that if the disks got messed up or stolen from my car, I wouldn't be out the money or the music.

I would like to see a class action lawsuit against the RIAA. Dunno if it would fly, but it would put their cheapskate butts on the defensive.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    VTA's got it. The RIAA is not nearly so zealous on behalf of the bands they supposedly represent. A really corrupt industry. If we could easilly do micropayments, and give the bands a nickle per song downloaded, most would make more money than they would from their CD sales. Lots of bands going the independent route now, many after learning the hard way.

Problem is the RIAA and their Hollywood allies have been instrumentel in passing new "Digital Rights' laws that favor them. No telling what they might have or get passed.
  15. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    hey, i run a radio station online and i can flat tell you - they do not give a DAMN about the artist, only $$$.

for example, if we played only indie music, this latest 'ruling' for the riaa (otherwise known as soundexchange.com) would still force me to pay them the same fees. their initial request was exponantially higher than radio.

for example. if the FM station played kid rock, SO HOT, they pay a fee. now, if we play it on my site, i pay the fee for *every person listening*. not a fraction of the fee, but the same fee, many times over.

now, with indie music you'd think you'd get around it. but no. this ruling allowed them to collect fees FOR the indie artist, but ONLY IF they sign up as a soundexchange member (i believe. will need to check to be sure) and then i doubt they get the full pull from what they're owed.

so if i play music NOT with soundexchange, they just keep it.

they're still pretty mad they can't sell a CD for $20 anymore and give the artist (good ones) $1.10 a cd. tag on another $2 to produce it (full quality here) and you can see their profits are history.
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Not surprised to hear that, Ice. They claim to be so worried about their artist's rights, but they really are only worried about their ability to leach off them.

Some of the rules they use are based on 100 year old juke box models. You won't hear them trying to modernize that, or anything like it, if it means they lose any of their gravy.

They are essentially trying to protect their turf, and they are clueless as to how to continue making their gross skim in this new world. So they manipulate the rules and laws to force it so.
  17. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    the RIAA is a very old group of men who know their cash cow is over and dead. all they can do is beat people into submission and try to salvage what they can in legal fees and settlements now.

can't remember who cut funding to the RIAA recentely, but it was a sign of things to come. their time is over but they're going out as painfully / vocally as possible.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/notag/emi-to-cut-funding-to-riaa-and-other-trade-groups-327780.php

part of the story. one the cards start to fall, no one will be there to support them and as an org, they're gone.

they didn't embrace the internet when they had the chance, now it's too late.
  18. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was the single worst piece of legislation during the Clinton Administration, IMHO.
  19. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    as much as i *hate* clinton (no! right!) this was not just him. i fully agree there has to be some form of control and payout for the artists. however, the way the RIAA tried to do it was to kill competition and i think congress simply 'rubber stamped' it and moved on. the riaa had the infrastructure to pull it off and were given the right to do so. i'm *not* sure congress or clinton or anyone outside the RIAA (way outside the riaa actually) felt they'd take it as far as they did, and are trying to do.

it basically gave control over digital music to a company / organization who's sole purpose is to avoid it.
  20. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right, but Clinton never vetoed the legislation when it came to his desk.