1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Red and Time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    I think you have a FO that drafts by measurbles typically. That has been a positive change under JG but Jerry is still Al Davis v2 and will draft the sexy pick every time.
  2. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

12,341 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    The Core played well with the one REAL coach they had. Parcells.
    Jerry's bull crap ruined that. Don't let that fact get in the way.
    That core also played well for one year after Parcells left. JG has been here for a few years now, not just the 2.5 people want to claim.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wade needed to go. He had lost the team. He had lost the team long before the GB game. The problem was that Jerry had a succession plan in place from the day Wade was hired and regardless of who was available, Red was the guy. Now he is just reluctant to admit it was a mistake.

With a team like this you can't have the "nice guy" coaches. You need someone who doesn't give a dang about your contract, your status or your endorsement deals. You need a coach who will sit guys down when they are sucking.
  4. Dave_in-NC

12,341 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    I doubt that's JGs call. Socks to jocks.
  5. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    How many playoff games did they win?

The core's done squat as a team.

But, I agree 1000% that the problem is Jerry.

This OL, as a whole, wouldn't start for a D-1 powerhouse.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Parcells made that core. Witten and Romo would not be the players they are with out him to push them. Romo especially. Spears could have used some more Bill too. :)
  7. Dave_in-NC

12,341 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    That was avery young core at the time. Better coaching through the years would have worked wonders for them. Oh and coach Jerry staying out of the way would have helped. That's when they have always had sucess.
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Point well taken.
  9. Cowboyz88

4,139 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    Again, I agree that Jerry messed it up by trying to get cute at WR (again) his special teams draft (much like his '95 backups draft), and basically going for the shiny toys over the big uglies.

We're in agreement, which is why I think it's mostly unfair to Garrett given the scrubs on OL.

That said, Garrett has dropped the ball many times (makes me crazy how slow he is to play guys over underperforming jackwagons), but honestly, I don't want to go thru the whole "get-my-system-in-place" with the next HC.

To me it just reeks of always being next year's champions.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

This whole "get my system in place" is part of the problem. Adapt the system. Quit calling Troy plays for Tony. Find out what your players are good at and adapt, dont think some ivy league crap is eventually going to work if you just persist with it long enough.
  11. Dave_in-NC

12,341 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    Here's what I see as a major issue down the road. The more we lose the more Jerry will think he needs to get more involved. He has less patience than most fans. Problem is he doesn't understand he's the biggest problem.

I'm not sure Garrett has or ever will get a fair chance with Jerry.
  12. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

877 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Yes coaching changes were good for SF, NE, NO, AZ, Indy, Balt, GB and several others who turned it around or provided extended improvement in less than 3 years after a change. The problem is not only finding a good coach, but a better coach who can put up with an egomaniac GM/Owner suffering from dementia.
  13. Cowboyz88

4,139 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    In theory, I would agree with you, but you're crazy if you don't think the next coach (Payton, Reid, Cowher, Gruden, etc.) won't come in here and "put their stamp" on things, Ivy League or not.

Plus, there's always the threat of Jerry slapping his veto stamp on top of the coach's stamp.
  14. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    This is not 1960. With Free Agency you can not wait ten years to "build" a team. He has more than enough talent in a watered down league to be a playoff contender, instead this team is a laughing stock. He has run this offense for 6 seasons now and it should be a well oiled machine by now, it stinks. We already missed the boat on the Harbaughs, Fisher, Shannahan, Wizenhunt, Thomlin. If we miss out on Payton OR Holmgren to give this clown another year it will be a disgrace. We have wasted the prime years of our core players already, enough is enough.
  15. Dave_in-NC

12,341 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    I don't see it happening but Payton would be a perfect match for Romo.
    I also think he's strong enough to make Jerry take a back seat ala Parcells and Jimmy.
  16. Cowboyz88

4,139 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    Again, I don't want to shill for Garrett (I really don't), but almost every team you mentioned has a Great/above average GM in place or a franchise QB with solid role players.

What about the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Panthers, Jags, etc. of the world?

I would contend that we are extremely top-heavy in terms of talent (basically no middle class), and we all know what a joke our GM is.
  17. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

3,914 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    The guy has been an average OC for years. He is all smoke and mirrors. He just isnt a good coach and he makes stupid time management errors way to much. He has shown a stubberness to not play players in the past. He is not the answer.
    If he stays an OC is a MUST!
  18. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    That is dumb. If your going to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys you should already know how to be a coach of an NFL team. The Cowboys organization should not be a place to learn COACHING 101.

Garrett is way over his head in coaching. We all have talked about it. His very vanilla offense, his time management, his lack of ability to adjust, his lack of ability to know when to challenge a play, etc. He is nothing more than a friend to Jerry Jones who got the head coaching position based friendship and nothing else.

He is nothing more than a glorified QB coach. We have a very talented team and its going to waste because Jerry wants to put the training wheels on Garrett so he can learn how to coach down the line. But not now. Seriously?
  19. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I just don't know how much time a guy should get.

Harbaugh won immediately in San Francisco. Many others have done the same thing.

It wasn't that long ago, a coach came to Dallas and took a team that was 5-11 the year before to the playoffs and a 10-6 record with Quincy Carter as the starting QB.

Jason Garrett has been coaching this offense for six years. He has been the head coach for parts of three seasons. How much time do we need?

By the way, I am not someone who thinks that a record is the end-all, be-all. But I don't see any real intangible evidence either. Other than seeing professional athletes actually compete for 60 minute, I don't know what Garrett can hang his hat on at the moment.
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    When Jerry was asked after the game to name one tangible sign of success the team has had under Garrett...................all that was heard was crickets.

When the freaking owner cant think of anything that has improved under the current head coach, it is time to get a new head coach.

Thats just cold, hard reality. Jerry didnt mention any of the things you said in your post, in fact, it sounded like Jerry honesty could not think of one reason Garrett should still be head coach.

Think about that for a while.