1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Redsk*ns ask refs how to protect RGIII

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Idgit, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Looks like they're expecting open season on RGIII outside his pocket, too.
  2. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,748 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    Outside the pocket and running he should be fair game, that's where he takes the majority of his hits so i'm not exactly sure what they expect the refs to do
  3. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,800 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    IMO if he tucks the ball inside the pocket then he is fair game as well.
  4. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

975 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    He only sells the fake for a millisecond now. He is not "fair game" if he throws his hands up after handing the ball off. Any defender that hits him at that point will be incurring a 15 yard penalty.
  5. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,800 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Read my post again. I said if he tucks the ball inside the pocket then he should be fair game.

If he or any other QB wants to run the ball from inside the pocket like a RB then he should be fair game to the defender.
  6. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

975 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Well in that case I would agree, if he's running with the ball he'll be tackled just like anyone else.

I thought you were talking about a defender reaching the mesh point quickly and hitting him as he's pulling his fake off. There has been alot of talk about that recently.
  7. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,800 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    If he in the midst of PA and gets hit while actually handing the ball off then it is legit he gets hit. Not any different than any other QB in that situation. RG3 needs to work on sliding and getting out of bounds. If not he will end up being like Vick. Hit a lot. Hurt a lot. Fumbles a lot.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,435 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    If they truly want to protect him. Make him a pocket passer and quit with the running stuff.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    They want it to be illegal to hit him anytime he is touching the ball.
    dogberry likes this.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The RO was fantastic at protecting RG3. Where he got hurt was on scramble runs outside the pocket on pass plays. Being in the pocket is one of the more dangerous spots, see how many QB injuries occur there that end a season (Brady, Manning, Palmer, Romo all pocket injuries)

It does look like Shanahan was satisfied

''We have clarifications with quarterback keeps off our bootleg or the option play, what's allowed by defensive players, what's allowed by offensive players,'' Shanahan said, ''so we clarified it on both sides of the ball.''

The "throw the hands up" technique was used by Griffin after the Bengals game and seemed to work well. His issue is sliding/running out of bounds. A better slide in the Ravens game, his knee doesn't fly up, and 320 lbs of Haloti Ngata doesn't land on it
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I think the Sk*ns are going to have to live with teams plastering their QB this season. They obviously, and wisely, want to minimize that however they can, but it's going to happen a lot.

If I'm DC, I'm doing it, smartly, and I'll take the penalties if they come.
  12. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    That's 4 major injuries in almost 40 years of quarterbacking. RG3 has 1 major injury in 1 year. I like him. I really do. But the guy simply is not going to survive a long NFL career if something doesn't change.
  13. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    If your DC is doing that, I am sending my FB to earhole your DE and knock him out for the season and take the penalties as they may come.

Don't forget, Shanahan once had a blocking system that relied on chop blocks. You want to take shots at his QB? The ankles of your d-lineman are going to be in casts by the end of the game

And when I am on D, I am sending every blitz I have until your QB is annahilated. If we want to turn the NFL into hockey, lets play.
  14. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    That is 4 major injuries in 6 seasons and those are the ones I could think of right off the top of my head.

Matt Stafford has been a constantly injured QB. Even behind the great hogs, Mark Rypien got injured in the pocket in the late 80s and early 90s. Joe Montana missed significant time. Troy Aikman's career was cut short at age 33, despite playing behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history.

The pocket is a dangerous place as well. So is the entire football field. WIth the RO, if RG3 figures out how to slide right, he at least has the D on its heels and not attacking him in the pocket. Its much easier for D-Ware to get a big hit on him when he is in the pocket, as opposed to having his feet in cement on a read option play
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    :D

Someone is scared
    1fisher likes this.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    When is a QB running? Good question. When he makes a motion to run with the ball unless he starts a passer's posture. If he hands off with a running posture he is considered a runner although unnecessary roughness is still in play. If he tucks the ball and appears to adopt a running posture then he's a runner. If he stops running and starts to adopt a passing posture then he's a passer. Tough call for the officials and tough on defenders.
  17. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,867 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Whatever, I'd still rather knock his *** on the ground all game long.
  18. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,576 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    so then lets go to the other extreme and put a dress on RGIII and declare him untouchable?
    1fisher, tantrix1969 and zrinkill like this.
  19. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Every defense they play will have "punish the QB" as part of their game plan.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,347 Likes Received
    I'd forgotten when the passer is out of the pocket he loses his one step and low hit protection.